PDA

View Full Version : Roja = among Time Magazine's Top Ten Best Film Soundtracks

dinesh2002
27th May 2005, 09:13 AM
Roja:Though he is renowned as the preeminent composer of modern Bollywood, A.R. Rahman was born and still works in Madras, 1,000 miles south of Bombay. His Tamil compatriot, the writer-director Mani Ratnam, yanked him out of jingle-writing to compose his first full score for Roja (The Rose) the tale of a woman whose lover is kidnapped by terrorists. Through this grim political parable, Rahman laced some spectacular melodies that not only serve the drama, they create their own[EM]as in the duet ballads "Yeh Haseen Vadiyan" and "Roja Jaaneman," which first are grounded in recitative, then suddenly ascend into celestial melody. This astonishing debut work parades Rahman's gift for alchemizing outside influences until they are totally Tamil, totally Rahman. He plays with reggae and jungle rhythms, fiddles with Broadway-style orchestrations, runs cool variations on Morricone's scores for Italian westerns.

http://www.time.com/time/2005/100movies/0,23220,soundtracks,00.html

a great news...but so dissapointing its not the Tamil Roja! :? :(

stone cold
27th May 2005, 03:22 PM
That Old Feeling: Isn't It Rahmantic?

http://www.time.com/time/columnist/corliss/article/0,9565,1013198,00.html

Scale
28th May 2005, 11:24 AM
Roja:Though he is renowned as the preeminent composer of modern Bollywood, A.R. Rahman was born and still works in Madras, 1,000 miles south of Bombay. His Tamil compatriot, the writer-director Mani Ratnam, yanked him out of jingle-writing to compose his first full score for Roja (The Rose) the tale of a woman whose lover is kidnapped by terrorists. Through this grim political parable, Rahman laced some spectacular melodies that not only serve the drama, they create their own[EM]as in the duet ballads "Yeh Haseen Vadiyan" and "Roja Jaaneman," which first are grounded in recitative, then suddenly ascend into celestial melody. This astonishing debut work parades Rahman's gift for alchemizing outside influences until they are totally Tamil, totally Rahman. He plays with reggae and jungle rhythms, fiddles with Broadway-style orchestrations, runs cool variations on Morricone's scores for Italian westerns.

http://www.time.com/time/2005/100movies/0,23220,soundtracks,00.html

a great news...but so dissapointing its not the Tamil Roja! :? :(

THIS IS THE HIGHEST TRIBUTE AN INDIAN COMPOSER CAN IMAGINE :clap: . AMAZING :) !!! :arrow: (ARR IS REALLY BLESSED).

DINESH, IF U READ THE ARTICLE AGAIN IT's MENTIONED WELL AT THE BEGINNING ITSELF THAT HE IS FROM MADRAS & HIS TAMIL COMPATRIOT - MR. FOR BETTER UNDERSTANDING THEY MIGHT HAVE PICKED THE HINDI VERSIONS 8) . Everyone should know that Roja is from ARR. Any north indian/foreigner shud not assume thats its from Anumalik or NS (local bollywood MD's) :wink: ...

LONG LIVE THIS GENIUS :thumbsup: . EAGERLY AWAITING "TLOR" FOR MORE MIRACLES TO HAPPEN :roll: .

DINESH, PLS SAVE THIS LINK AND POST IT IN YR WEBSITE FOR FUTURE REFERENCE . THANKS :thumbsup:

Arjuna
29th May 2005, 08:00 PM
ARR is the greatest gift to mankind - He is GOD!!

united07
31st May 2005, 08:57 AM
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

grrr.....
they watched Nayakan (IR) and picked Roja (ARR)...

mmmmmm...

anage yennapa theeyithu?....vayera?....

he he he...chumma thaan pa...rombe naala aachi.....

njv
31st May 2005, 10:53 AM
I dont know why you have to pull IR in this. Since you pulled IR unwarrently, I am now proud to say that they watched Nayagan and selected the best movie because the music gave life to the movie. They watch Roja and selected best song, because the song didnt add any value to the movie. This truly shows ... you complete the rest. This is the difference between selflessness and selfishness.

I do respect the feelings of ARR fans and I do like ARR (infact today only we were talking about ARR and the impact he made in entire country, not just tamilnadu), but if any one pull IR unwantedly, I will go to my extreme limit, so be warned.

united07
31st May 2005, 11:25 AM
njv,

saamathanam....saamanthanam....
chumma thaan pa.......

i look high upon IR>.....but i just coudln't help it...avvalothaan...

hare rama hare krishna...

dinesh2002
31st May 2005, 11:37 AM
I am now proud to say that they watched Nayagan and selected the best movie because the music gave life to the movie. They watch Roja and selected best song, because the song didnt add any value to the movie.

so they gave Nayakan best movie coz of the music???pitty Mani Ratnam!so all the credit goes to music alone ;)..Mani ratnam,u didint do anyting to make this movie into the list!!it all credit goes to IR!! :twisted:

if u didint know machan,the BEST SOUNDTRACK is meant to be given to sololy to the music (how quality is the music),so i gues IR is not in the list,hats off the ARR!! his 1st album is in the top class!! :lol:

Scale
31st May 2005, 11:55 AM
njv! It is obvious that Nayakan(100) & Roja (10) has been picked in the movies and music section realistically. Glad both are MR's movies. Nayakan was picked not just for the script, screenplay & direction, It has also got the brilliant performance by Kamal Hasan(heroism) when compared to Aravindswamy. Not to conceal IR's soulful music (thenpandi cheemayile). Nayakan's music was not par to Roja's music. In mass, many ppl dont even remember Nayakan's music now. Tell me! Who can forget the storm created when "ROJA" was released and ARR's debutant National award and all Other misc awards on that year.

Disappointing, MR's "anjali" wasnt given due credits :(

but if any one pull IR unwantedly, I will go to my extreme limit, so be warned.

THIRUTTHAVUM...

A.ANAND
31st May 2005, 01:56 PM
thambi dinesu,konjam adakki vasippa,nee romba chinna payyan,maniratnam paati pesa unnakku vayasu pattathu rasa...shankar pola 'MASAL THOSAI'director padamnna thalayila thukki vechikittu aaduvingga!!!!

dinesh2002
31st May 2005, 02:53 PM
thambi dinesu,konjam adakki vasippa,nee romba chinna payyan,maniratnam paati pesa unnakku vayasu pattathu rasa...shankar pola 'MASAL THOSAI'director padamnna thalayila thukki vechikittu aaduvingga!!!!

machan.....i hope u knew i was beeing sarcastic!!! naan nenekiren,neenga thaan chinna paiyan...u cant different shade a sarcasm and a true comment...lol!

united07
31st May 2005, 05:40 PM
naarayana...naarayana...

njv
31st May 2005, 07:22 PM
dinesh

a movie is a team work. all of htem has to come to gether and BGM is THE most important aspect of the movie, speically when IR does it. It adds life to the movie. It creates the mood and prepare you for the situation.

Like you said, music award is given for the best songs. I completely agree that Roja created the storm and Roja indeed deserve to be the Top 100, but that doesnt degrade IR's greatness. Remember you were an IR fan before ARR came and I am sure you will go to another MD once they give different song than ARR (honestly few people changed to HJ after minnalae, but in my opinion, ARR is superior compared to HJ). You guys change color ("pachchonthi") where as we were, we are and we will be maestro's devotee. Some one asked me what would be my last wish if I have to die tomorrow and I siad I would like to listen to Johnny songs one more time. If you have the same feeling for any ARR music, I agree ARR is genius.

united07 - change your name. It should be seperated07 or Kaliyuga Naradhan.

Scale
31st May 2005, 08:38 PM
dinesh
Like you said, music award is given for the best songs. I completely agree that Roja created the storm and Roja indeed deserve to be the Top 100, but that doesnt degrade IR's greatness.

err. Nayakan (Best 100) & Roja (Best 10)

Remember you were an IR fan before ARR came and I am sure you will go to another MD once they give different song than ARR (honestly few people changed to HJ after minnalae, but in my opinion, ARR is superior compared to HJ).

Does anyone changed from ARR to HJ when u heard minnale & other HJ albums..

You guys change color ("pachchonthi") where as we were, we are and we will be maestro's devotee. Some one asked me what would be my last wish if I have to die tomorrow and I siad I would like to listen to Johnny songs one more time. If you have the same feeling for any ARR music, I agree ARR is genius.

njv! THIS IS HEIGHT OF ARROGANCE :evil: (pachonthi) AND IGNORANCE (die tomorrow b4 hear johnny songs).... Is this a true devotee of a maestro. Do you think IR will be happy to hear someone dying tomorrow but heard johnny songs.

Arasiyal vaadhikkum Maestro voda fans kkum vithyasam illa.

WHO CARES IF U ADMIT ARR AS GENIUS OR NOT. WORLD KNOWS BETTER..

njv
31st May 2005, 08:43 PM
Scale I am ignoring you totally for your ignorance and arrogance from another thread. So...

njv
31st May 2005, 08:47 PM
And.... I have decided to totally ignore ALL ARR threads for good. What a waste of time.

Scale
31st May 2005, 09:06 PM
Scale I am ignoring you totally for your ignorance and arrogance from another thread. So...

NJV! I didnt mean anything personally. Even if u call me arrogant, ignorant no probs. I SAID WHAT I FELT.

And.... I have decided to totally ignore ALL ARR threads for good. What a waste of time.

THATS NOT OUR INTENTION. READ MY POSTS AGAIN. REMEMBER I AM THE ONE WHO INVITED OTHER MD'S FANS TO COME AND DISCUSS. I DO POST IN THE OTHER FORUMS.

THINK BEFORE YOU DECIDE SOMETHING.

dinesh2002
1st June 2005, 07:55 AM
Remember you were an IR fan before ARR came and I am sure you will go to another MD once they give different song than ARR .

NJV machan,i didnt meant to creat a huss here,please dun feel bad about that.. 8) btw machan,i was ARR fan ever since i know the world ! ( i was born on 1988,when i was 4 y/o,Roja Released,and i became his fan since i was 7,i didnt know who was IR untill i was around 9 - 10,so actually i didint change,i WAS his fan ever since i knew the world,so dun put me in the peoples category who was IR fan turn ARR fan :( )

dinesh2002
1st June 2005, 08:03 AM
NJV...if i had last wish b4 i die...i would request to reborn and continue my journey as ARR fan,to continue to be under his magic untill he stopped givin music...

MADDY
1st June 2005, 09:07 AM
Shaaaa.....another ARR-IR war thread.... :evil: ...........neways this is the only thing that keeps ARR's threads alive :oops: hobnestly speaking.......

mr.njv, tension aagadhinga---- if Nayakan had got best music entry and roja had got movie entry- IR fans summa irundhiruppangannu nenaikirunga???? there wud have been statements like "IR has got the ultimate International recognition where ARR has failed","IR is the gr8est, ARR taught a lesson", "Real quality gets recognised and fake one gets discarded" dunt deny these statements as i have seen them for raakamma song awarded some recognition........

pre-1992 i used to like IR's music but i seriously needed a change from IR's dappankuthu.....IR had a series of dappankuthu movies around 1990.......Roja was really out of the world stuff and it really blew everyone of their feet......Carnatic music geniuses still dunt understand ARR's music....that is the power of roja.....

Scale
1st June 2005, 12:27 PM
Remember you were an IR fan before ARR came and I am sure you will go to another MD once they give different song than ARR .

NJV machan,i didnt meant to creat a huss here,please dun feel bad about that.. 8) btw machan,i was ARR fan ever since i know the world ! ( i was born on 1988,when i was 4 y/o,Roja Released,and i became his fan since i was 7,i didnt know who was IR untill i was around 9 - 10,so actually i didint change,i WAS his fan ever since i knew the world,so dun put me in the peoples category who was IR fan turn ARR fan :( )

Dinesh!

Its true that every Rahman fans were very young :D including me and do not know much about IR's earlier compositions :( . We started hearing IR's songs only after listening to ARR's album and just for melodies. But sincerely we ARR fans never regret till now :oops: . He is such a genius :thumbsup: , who has brought the craze to even an ordinary listener and he is the only one composer who had made his fans to listen others too and indentify the difference. I have discussed with many HC-IR's fans (chennai - mid perusus) and they never admit the fact & keep pointing out the same that you were not in that era (during every IR's album release). Some of his 80' songs were a musical revolution :clap: like what ARR did every album in 90's :clap: :clap: .

Infact IR fans were more gifted to be in both the MD's era :oops: (IR & ARR). What I would like to prove is that ARR is no where inferior to any of the composer and if graphed he might lead as a best composer in the indian musical history.

Lend your ears to quality music not to badmouthing.. :)

united07
1st June 2005, 12:35 PM
besh besh...nalla yeriyuthe....
njv saar...
if Roja were picked for best song section...i thot...IR is an all rounder who can do the best BGM, Song, Orchestration, anything and everything...then how come Roja is better than Nayakan!....

ippo yenna solringe...ippo yenna solringe...

dinesh2002
1st June 2005, 01:04 PM
yes scale...def...i apriciate good music from various MDs..even i say Devdas by Ismail Darbar is one of Hindi's best soundtrack till now,eventhough he bad mouth ARR,i enjoy devdass music still...even anu malik's early composition like Duplicate,Bazigar,Yes boss,was all great hits and good compositions... and from our very own Hj.....eventhough i bash him from right,left,center,up,down (too much rite???:P),when he does something good,i enjoy it & i too agree with it... (laysa laysa is an excellent album!)but seriously,we ARR fan accept good music from others,y not some people ... ,lately i happen to go trough Harris Jeyaraj's chat during 2001,there is 1 gal called Sangeetha,kept on praising HJ has " Arr's Succecor ",and " Iruvar is 1 of my personal fav,were u with ARR during Iruvar " she's practicly saying Hj is the man who did all those ARR albums,thats y she liked it..i mean..see how ignorant she is.... and the same time Hj said he woked with ARR for nearly 7 years :shock: ,which ARR said lately they (ARR & Hj ) hardly worked for 2 albums......