PDA

View Full Version : Proper tamil words for some well known english words

Nerd
1st May 2005, 10:50 AM
Dont know whether there is a similar topic or not!

My initial shot:

Coffee - Kuzhambi

Cellphone - Selpesi (Sellum Idam ellam!)

Badri
2nd May 2005, 06:34 AM
Kasi: Please discuss this in the Tamil Literature forum.

I am moving this there.

Cygnus
2nd May 2005, 07:27 AM
Coffee - kuLambi not kuzhambi, since the coffee bean resembles 'kuLambu' or the hoof (of say a horse) :)

Thiru
2nd May 2005, 06:24 PM
Thozhil nutpa nuni vilimbu - Cutting Edge Technology
(according to kamalhassan) :)

Nerd
24th May 2005, 09:50 AM
I almost forgot this and I had a hard time searching where was it moved!!!

Some computer related words:

Browser - ulavi
Cyberspace - kaniniyakam
Server - vazhangi
sound card - olikkirami
Network - Valaipinnal

more to come...

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
19th June 2005, 10:39 AM
i like this topic very much

CD - oli vatta thagadu

DVD - adar - oli vatta thagadu

CD player - oli thagadotti

harddisk - ulladakka gaantha thagadu

floppy disk - kurunthagadu

floppy drive - kurunthagadotti

microprocessor - silicon sillu

forum hub - min arattai manai

cellphone - muntha koovi [as said by kaml haasan]

what ios for CEMENT?

what is the SINGLE tamil word for the english word SELL note- only one word!

hardware - van porul

software - men porul

firmware - ????

middleware - ???

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
19th June 2005, 10:42 AM
kaNippoRi and kaNini

which one is computer and which one is calculator??

nowadays both are used for referring computer

Nerd
22nd June 2005, 11:15 PM
Yes both refer to computer

calculator is kaNakki ( I believe)

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
23rd June 2005, 12:22 PM
kanakki is a new word iam hearing, then what is tamil eq for

soap
shampoo
tubelight
binded book
hardcover

ect

aravindhan
1st July 2005, 05:30 AM
soap - savukkaaram. In some parts of rural TN, it is called "araippukkattai" (araippu being the ground paste people used to use before soap).

shampoo - I've been told the correct word is savukkaarakkuzhampu. My grandmother used to call it ciykkay thiravam - which is technically speaking incorrect since shampoo has nothing to do with the soap-nut, but still makes sense.

tubelight - I have heard "curaiviLakku" used colloquially. I don't know if it's "official" terminology, though.

binded book - "thaittha putthakam", I suppose. In what context would you want to use the phrase?

hardcover - I would use "thuNi attai" and "kagidha attai" for "hardcover" and "paperback", but there are probably better words. Does anyone know?

ramraghav
1st July 2005, 06:30 AM
[tscii:083470f975]From the official Madras Univ online Library archives (Tamil Virtual Univ www.tamilvu.org)

soap - ºÅ÷측Ãõ, ºÅ÷측÷ì¸ðÊ
shampoo - ¾¨Ä¿£Åø, ºÅ÷측ÃìÌÆõÒ
tube light - ÌÆø Å¢ÇìÌ

My guesses:
bound book - ¸ðÎ Òò¾¸õ[/tscii:083470f975]

NOV
1st July 2005, 06:42 AM
CD - oli vatta thagadu
the malay word for it is chakra padat, from the Indian word chakkaram!

forum hub - min arattai manaiMandra Mayyam is the word used.

cellphone - muntha koovi kai tholaipEsi

what is the SINGLE tamil word for the english word SELL note- only one word!Depending on context..
I sell water - naan thanneer virkkirEn
sale = virppanai
business = vyaabaaram

Nerd
1st July 2005, 09:55 AM
CD - oli vatta thagadu
the malay word for it is chakra padat, from the Indian word chakkaram!

forum hub - min arattai manaiMandra Mayyam is the word used.

cellphone - muntha koovi kai tholaipEsi

what is the SINGLE tamil word for the english word SELL note- only one word!Depending on context..
I sell water - naan thanneer virkkirEn
sale = virppanai
business = vyaabaaram

NOV, just one comment..

Cellphone - kai tholaipEsi.. hmm where did u get that?? I think selpEsi is better coz u use it wherever u go :lol2:

Nerd
24th August 2005, 11:05 PM
Keyword - Saavichol

Thanks to Google - tamil 8)

sathanga
15th September 2005, 09:24 PM
web(www) - valaiThalam
search engine - thaedukaruvi or soRThedi

solomon
18th October 2005, 03:01 PM
Friends,

The following Website
www.tcwords.com

i,e., tamil computer words.com gives lot of new technical words for those who are looking for them.

MosesSolomon

podalangai
11th May 2007, 04:19 AM
Here's the most comprehensive glossary of scientific, technical and academic words in Tamil I've ever seen:

http://www.tamilvu.org/library/o33/html/o3300001.htm

The "pothu theduthal" and "pothu pattiyal" links at the bottom are particularly useful! If you can't see the Tamil text, you can download the fonts you need here (http://www.tamilvu.org/coresite/html/cwdownld.htm) (you only need the first one). After a couple of hours of browsing, I'm still in raptures. :)

Thamizhaga arasu: :notworthy: :2thumbsup: :clap:

paulthomas
15th May 2007, 07:38 AM
Friends,

Makkal TV USes "thaani" for Auto - anybody can esplain

podalangai
16th May 2007, 11:41 PM
Friends,

Makkal TV USes "thaani" for Auto - anybody can esplain

Autorickshaw = thaniyangizhuvai (தானியங்கிழுவை). The etymology of that should be obvious :roll: Just as the term "autorickshaw" is abbreviated to "auto", "thaniyangizhuvai" is abbreviated to "thani" (தானி).

Roshan
20th May 2007, 11:25 PM
Here in Sri Lanka - they call it 'muchchakkara vaNdi' - Three wheeler - Trishaw.

podalangai
23rd May 2007, 04:24 PM
Here in Sri Lanka - they call it 'muchchakkara vaNdi' - Three wheeler - Trishaw.
Trishaw... I'd almost forgotten that delightful Sri Lankan word. :D

Muchchakkara vaNDi used to be used in TN as well (although most people say "aaTTO" :roll:), but there has been a push in recent times to come up with better words and to get people to actually use them. "Thaani" is a lot easier to say than "muchchakkara vandi" and has the same nice ring to it as "auto".

Roshan
24th May 2007, 08:18 PM
Trishaw... I'd almost forgotten that delightful Sri Lankan word. :D

Muchchakkara vaNDi used to be used in TN as well (although most people say "aaTTO" :roll:), but there has been a push in recent times to come up with better words and to get people to actually use them. "Thaani" is a lot easier to say than "muchchakkara vandi" and has the same nice ring to it as "auto".

Podalai,

uNmaiya sollunga.. neenga Sri Lanka vanthirukeengathAnE? :P You seem to be so familiar with Sri Lanka - including my home town :) athunaalathaan enakku konjam santhEgamA irukku :wink: :P

Getting back to the topic - 'thaani' sounds a bit odd for a Trishaw, though it's a short and easier word. Ramdas, Thiruma pOnRavargaLidam idea kEtkalaamE :wink:

"aaTTO" - :lol:

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
26th April 2008, 01:46 AM
i had been to singapore where they call rickshaws as trishaw. thrishaw mela eri pogalaam :lol2:

btw, "pin naveenathuvam" enraal enna? ethaavathu modern way of producing the "pin" ??

also tell the meaning of - laagiri vasthaathu. both r seperate words??

disk.box
27th April 2008, 11:56 AM
பின் நவீனத்துவம் - சிற்றிலக்கியச் சிந்தனாவாதிகள் பயன்படுத்தும் வார்த்தை. சரியான அர்த்தம் தெரியவில்லை. ( :) தாங்கள் சொல்வது போல் அது ஊக்கு செய்வதை ஊக்குவிக்கும் வார்த்தை கண்டிப்பாக இல்லை. )

:) லாகிரி வஸ்து - பொழுதுபோக்கு போதைப் பொருட்களை இப்படி அழைப்பர். ( புகையிலை,மது இன்ன பிற தேரல் வகைகள் )

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
28th April 2008, 01:48 AM
பின் நவீனத்துவம் - சிற்றிலக்கியச் சிந்தனாவாதிகள் பயன்படுத்தும் வார்த்தை. சரியான அர்த்தம் தெரியவில்லை. ( :) தாங்கள் சொல்வது போல் அது ஊக்கு செய்வதை ஊக்குவிக்கும் வார்த்தை கண்டிப்பாக இல்லை. )

ookku seyvathai ookkuvikkum seyal - naane athai oru comedy yaa sonnen, neenga athai vachi iinnoru comedy panreenga :lol:

btw, in some othe thread, i asked hubber joe the meaning for the same term, he asked me to study some jeyamohan's works, thats pin navinathuvam ect... he too didnt tell the direct meaning. then i came with my below post, he agreed THAT's pinnaveenathuvam :lol:

enakku ithuponra samakaala samooganala praanthiya sithaanthangalum athai saarntha marabilakkiyangalin kaalachuvadugalin peril entha purithalum illai

disk.box
29th April 2008, 02:21 AM
பின் நவீனத்துவம் குறித்து விவாதிக்க இது சரியான திரியா எனத் தெரியவில்லை. நிகழ் நிலை இயல்பிலிருந்து விலகி இருக்கும் ஒன்றாக அதைக் கருதுகிறேன். ( முற்றுப்புள்ளிகளை மறந்த / நீண்ட வாக்கியங்களைக் கொண்டமையப்பெற்ற / சாதாரணர்களுக்கு புரியாத [எவ்வளவு யோசித்தாலும்]..... என பல இலக்கணங்கள் அதற்கு உண்டு ).
இவையெல்லாம் என் கருத்துகள். எளியரில் கடையருக்கு புரியாத / உதவாத கருத்துகளோ அல்லது செயல்களோ எவ்வித சமூக மாற்றத்தையும் உருவாக்கிவிடப் போவதில்லை. இது குறித்து தெளிந்த விளக்கமளிக்க ஆன்றோர் எவரும் முன்வந்தால் பேருதவியாக இருக்கும்.

P_R
15th June 2008, 06:08 PM
பின் நவீனத்துவம் குறித்து விவாதிக்க இது சரியான திரியா எனத் தெரியவில்லை. நிகழ் நிலை இயல்பிலிருந்து விலகி இருக்கும் ஒன்றாக அதைக் கருதுகிறேன். ( முற்றுப்புள்ளிகளை மறந்த / நீண்ட வாக்கியங்களைக் கொண்டமையப்பெற்ற / சாதாரணர்களுக்கு புரியாத [எவ்வளவு யோசித்தாலும்]..... என பல இலக்கணங்கள் அதற்கு உண்டு ).இவையெல்லாம் என் கருத்துகள்.

:lol:

P_R
15th June 2008, 06:31 PM
தீர்மானமாக சொல்லமுடியது. தெரிந்தவரை சொல்கிறேன்

உண்மையின் தேடல், நாம் ஏன் இங்கு இருக்கிறோம் போன்ற கேள்விகளை சீரியஸாக அணுகியது நவீனத்துவம். கொஞ்சம் அதைப்பற்றி முதலில் சொன்னால்தான் பிந்நவீனத்துவத்தை அணுக முடியும்

நவீனத்துவம்
ஒரு விஷயம் எப்படி உள்வாங்கப்படுகிறது கலைஞனால் எப்படி வெளியிடப்படுகிறது என்பது மிக முக்கியம் என்கிறது நவீனத்துவம். அதாவது சொல்ல வந்த விஷயம் (சப்ஜெக்ட்) கூட அந்த அளவுக்கு முக்கியம் இல்லை அதன் தாக்கம் தான் அதனினும் முக்கியம்.

சரி/தவறு என்ற மேலாண்மை நவீனத்துவத்தில் நிராகரிக்கப்படுகிறது. நாவலின் கதைசொல்லிகளின் நம்பகத்தன்மை சந்தேகத்துக்கு இடமாகக் கூட சித்தரிக்கிறது. அக்காலத்தில் இது ஒரு புரட்சிகரமான நிலை.

இதையெல்லாம் வைத்து வாழ்க்கையின் அர்த்தமின்மையை சொல்கிற போக்கு நவீனத்துவத்தில் காணலாம். ஆனால் இதை ஒரு மானுடச் சோகமாக கொள்கிறது நவீனத்துவம். பின்-நவீனத்துவம் இதையே கொண்டாடுகிறதுஉண்மைத் தேடல் போன்ற சமாச்சாரங்களை எல்லாம் கிண்டல் செய்கிறது.

ஏனென்றால் நவீனத்துவத்தின் சோகத்தில் ஒரு ஆப்டிமிஸம் இருக்கிறது. சிதைந்த, அர்த்தமற்ற வாழ்க்கைக்கு அர்த்தத்தையும் அழகையும் தரவல்லது கலைஞனின் கலையே என்ற (வெளிப்படையில் சொல்லப்படாத) ஆசை. இதை 'நப்பாசை' என்று சொல்கிறது பிந்நவீனத்துவம்.

ஞானத்தைப் பெருக்கிக்கொள்வது விடைகள் காண அல்ல. குழப்பங்களில் திளைக்கப் பழகு என்கிறது பின் நவீனத்துவம். ஒரு ஒருமித்த நோக்குள்ள உண்மைத்தேடல் என்பது கேச வளத்துக்கு பாதகமானது - என்று பகடியாக சொல்லுகிறது.

இதுவரை நான் சொன்னது வெறும் ஐஸ்பெர்க்கின் நுனி தான்.
கேச நலனுக்கேற்பே மேலே படித்து தெரிந்துகொள்ளவும். மேலும், நான் சொல்வது முற்றிலும் தவறு என்று பலர் சூடம் ஏத்தி பலர் சத்தியம் செய்வார்கள். அதுவும் சரிதான். "நான் சொல்ற மாதிரியும் சொல்லாம், அவுங்க சொல்ற மாதிரியும் சொல்லலாம்". அதான் பின்-நவீனத்துவத்தின் ஜீவ-நாடியே :-)