PDA

View Full Version : "UNSUNG CULINERY HEROES.." Udipi Master Chef Sri V

Nichiro
1st May 2005, 10:12 AM
India has a rich culinery culture preserved and brought forward by many unsung heroes
who are the real masters of their art. But being uneducated or less educated, their
art lies with themselves . They are also under priviledged and mostly exploited by hoteliers or
well known catering service houses. They spend their whole lives in the kitchen without being
recognised for their talents.
One such unsung hero is SRI VISHWANATH KAMATH of Nagarbhavi.

Sri Vishwantath Kamath was born in A village near Udupi called Shankaranarayana about 53 years back. As all Udupi Brahmis , he was born with a Spatula in hand.
He is an ever smiling unassuming man always busy preparing feasts for marriages etc .
He ,singlehandedly plans, prepares masalas, cooks, oversees and prepares food for upto 1000 people. At any given point of time, he cooks four or five items at a time simultaneously.
He is a store house of traditional Udipi cooking.
He has about 100 traditional recipes stored in his brain .Any dish you want, he will ask "For how many people?"
And out comes exact quantities of each ingredient that he will need.
I consider myself lucky to have come across him.
He has agreed to bring his knowledge and give it to you all.
You may ask doubts, recipes and tips etc concerning Udipi Cooking.
Hope all of you would encourage this simple unassuming man and make him an Idol of Udipi cooking.

Nichiro
1st May 2005, 10:46 AM
IYENGAR RASAM POWDER............By Vishwanath Kamath

Iyengars are a group of people having distinctly different language, food habits and their culture.

Iyengar Rasam , sambar and Puliodhirais are loved by one and all.
I am bringing Mr. Kamath's first recipe of Iyengar Rasam Powder.
I will give the Bulk recipe and side by side recipe measurements for home usage.

INGREDIENTS

BULK MEASUREMENT

Fenugreek.........400 gms
Jeera.............450 gms
Black pepper......300 gms
Dhania ..........1000 gms
Salem chillies....500 gms
Bedagi chillies...500 gms
Mustard...........100 gms
Real Asafoetida...7 to10 gms
Curry leaves......150 gms (Only Leaves)
Turmeric .........25 gms
Cooking oil.......125 gms

HOUSEHOLD MEASUREMENT

Fenugreek......... 60 gms
Jeera............ .....70 gms
Black pepper...... 45 gms
Dhania .......... ...150 gms
Salem chillies.... ...75gms
Bedagi chillies.... ..75gms
Mustard........... ....15gms
Real Asafoetida....2 pinches
Curry leaves...... ..2 sprigs
Turmeric ........ ......1/2 tsp
Cooking oil............1.5 tbsp

METHOD OF PREPARATION:

Take an Iron Kadai and first dry roast, Fenugreek,Jeera and Mustard. Roast till Fenugreek
becomes pinkish brown and mustard starts popping.Remove from Kadai and let them cool.

Now add oil in Kadai and first put Black pepper. Once black pepper starts bursting,
add chillies and Dhania and Turmeric roots (Piece them before putting for frying).
Go on turning with a spatula to give equal frying.
Once chillies assume a silken shine on the surface, immediately add curry leaves.
Turn three four times and remove from kadai and immediately spread on a polythene sheet/cloth.
Once the mixture becomes cold, add Hing (Asafoetida) and powder.

Note:
In bulk or home usage, chillies stalk is not to be removed.
Enjoy this powder for preparation of Iyengar Rasam.

R
1st May 2005, 07:35 PM
Hi Nichiro,

Bedagi chillies.... ..75gms (What is that Bedagi?)

Thanks in advance.

Nichiro
1st May 2005, 08:11 PM
Bedagi Chillies are a type of very aromatic and very bright red coloured red peppers which have no bite.
Grown in Karnataka.

tomato
2nd May 2005, 08:43 AM
Nichiro,
Could we substitute, kashmiri chillies for bedagi. Also how do we distinguish kashmiri chilli from bedagi, coz so far I used to think that kashmiri chillies r bedagi chillies. :oops:

To my knowledge, 'Kamath' is a konkani surname, will Mr. Vishwanath Kamath be sharing some Konkani recipes with us as well.

Nichiro
2nd May 2005, 10:37 AM
Hello Tomato,
Kashmiri Mirch is known in North. I am not sure about aromatic proprerties. You may substitute Bedagi with it if you find it ok.

Kamath is a surname common to Konkanis and Kanara brahmins.
I am not sure if Mr. Kamath Knows konkani dishes. Today he has gone for marriage cooking. He will be back tomorrow or so.
I will ask and tell you.

Nichiro
2nd May 2005, 04:49 PM
Next I will post Iyengar Puliodhirai Gojju preparation method.

chefvasu
2nd May 2005, 08:28 PM
Hi Nichiro,

What is curry leaves? Is it tamalpatra or Limbdo?
I'm always confuse about curry leaves.
Thanks.

khushi
2nd May 2005, 08:58 PM
Hemantji,
I can't thank you enough for doing this. It is very nice of you. I'm so excited. I will look forward to all Mr. Kamat's recipes. BTW, how do I prepare Iyengar Rasam(Mr.Kamat's style), please let me know. Also, please convey my thanks to him.

-Regards,
Khushi.

R
2nd May 2005, 09:05 PM

R
2nd May 2005, 11:04 PM
Hello Nichiro,

Just now, finished preparing vepampoo rasam using Mr.Kamath's rasam powder. It was so yummy. I reduced the qty of dhania since preferred the color to be red.

Lots of thanks to you and Mr.Kamath.

Anticipating more recipes..

Nichiro
3rd May 2005, 10:16 AM
Hello chefvasu,
Curry leaves always means MITHA LIMBDA NA PAN in Gujarati.
The other one is Tej Patta.

Hello Khushi,

I just now met Mr. Kamath. He has promised to teach the method of preparing Rasams and sambars also.

Hello R,
I am also seconding what you just wrote.
The result of Iyengar Rasam made by Mr. Kamth's recipe was just too good. I made it on Sunday evening. Now I have brought 100 gms of new Bedagi chillies and Dhania to prepare the rasam powder in bulk.

Nichiro
3rd May 2005, 10:20 AM
Just a note on Rasam made by Iyengars in Madras.
For a family of four, apart from Rasam Powder, Little black pepper and little Jeera (1/2 tsp) combined is made in coarse powder and added in Rasam a couple of minutes before you remove from fire.

The dhall water is used as stock. Dhall is used in Sambar. If it is parappu rasam, Dhall is not fully mashed. Rasam from top is served during nights and thick remainder at the bottom is used with Idlies next morning.
Believe me, it is too good.!!

ash_970
3rd May 2005, 03:22 PM
Hello Nichiro,
Sorry for responding bit late.
Congrats for starting this exiting thread from bringing out the hidden talent in our Indian Culinary Art.
I am very proud of our Art , History , architecture and and all other good qualities underlying in our society with out recognition.

Your step in this direction would go a long way.
Thanks again for your Noble work.

R
3rd May 2005, 03:24 PM
Hello Nichiro,

Whenever I make rasam, the remainder(rasam mandi) is not coming. Back at home, as you said, they use to keep it for next day which is very yummy to eat with rice or tiffin. Can you tell me the secret for mandi rasam? thanks...

Nichiro
3rd May 2005, 04:38 PM
Hello R,
Mandi is a technique I learnt from NIZALGAL SUVITA'S family.
They are Iyengars.
She was living in same house as us in CIT colony Madras.
As I wrote before, when you add Parappu, it should not be mashed fully.
As my wife says, it should be left "Kacha Machan" meaning half mashed.
The time to add it is after the Tamarind water is boiled and gets reduced till it leaves raw smell.
At this point, add thoram parappu mashed partly and also if you add Rasam powder now, with coarsely pounded Black pepper and Jeeragam, you will get that rasam mandi next day.
Try it. You will get it.

g's mom
3rd May 2005, 10:15 PM
Hey Nichiro and others....

I have used mexican chillie called chile guajillo. It gives a very distinct color to the powder and dishes similar to bedagi and also its a sweeter variety as bedagi..... I usually use a few of the regular dry red chillie and a pod or 2 of chile guajillo to get that color for chutneys and chutney pudi.....

Thanks
g's mom

Nichiro
3rd May 2005, 10:34 PM
Hello g's mom,
Good of you to share this info. Question is, is it as aromatic as Bedagi?

Nichiro

g's mom
3rd May 2005, 10:51 PM
It has a sweet aroma... cant remember how the aroma of bedagi is... when dry roasted :( never cooked or helped mom before marriage....

Seethab
4th May 2005, 03:40 AM
Hi Hemantji:

Is it alright to make the rasam powder with bedagi alone as I cant eat spicy food. I only use bedagi in my cooking. Will that spoil the taste of the powder?

Thanks

Seetha

Seethab
4th May 2005, 03:45 AM
Hello Nichiro:

I am sorry should have addressed you as Nichiro instead of Hemant. Habits die hard? will def keep in my mind in future.

Seetha

Nichiro
4th May 2005, 06:20 AM
Hello g's mom,
Bedagi has pungent chilli aroma and not sweet.

Nichiro
4th May 2005, 06:23 AM
Hello Seethab,

Yes, You may use only Bedagi. The difference will be only in bite. It will smell spicy. But will not be hot.
Spicy means with strong aroma of spices.
Hot means having burning taste.
No problem about name. It happens

Nichiro
4th May 2005, 01:39 PM
Hello Friends,
I learnt the method of preparing Rasam as Iyengars do from Mr. Kamath today.(Infact from his boss first and later from Mr. Kamath)
I would put it in proper form today evening and bring it to you.

R
7th May 2005, 03:41 AM
Thanks, Nichiro.

Implemented yr method for making mandi in the rasam and of course, succeeded in preparing rasam mandi. Though, have a doubt-while serving, if I mix well and pour it, will the mandi come still?

Nichiro
7th May 2005, 06:42 PM
Hello R,
Depends how much dhall you have used.
But my experience says , yes, you will still have a thick residue Mandi next day morning.
Enjoy with Idlies.

khushi
7th May 2005, 06:47 PM
Hello Nichiro,
Please post the rasam method you learnt from Mr. Kamath when you get a chance. I have been waiting for that recipe.

Thanks for all the service you are doing for us !!!

-Regards,
Khushi.

Nichiro
7th May 2005, 08:27 PM
Hello Khushi,
Actually it is a simple method.
If you start with a litre of water and Dhall mixture to boil, add Tamarind extract and Rasam Powder in the starting itself.
Let it boil to reduce to 900 mlto 850 ml.
This should take about 15 mts of boiling on medium flame.
He told me a very valid thing.
Raw smell of Chillies and tamarind should leave the Rasam.

He stressed that Rasam made in Kalai vessel is best in taste.
Measure of Rasam powder is about 1tsp for one person.

khushi
8th May 2005, 11:30 PM
Hello Nichiro,
Thanks for posting the recipe but I have one question, what do you mean by dhal mixture. Also what are the proportions?

-Regards,
Khushi.

Nichiro
9th May 2005, 06:24 AM
Sorry Khushi,
Churned Dhall in water ....measure 1 litre.
Amount od dhall to use in rasam depends upon the thickness you like.
Generally down south , the amount of dhall used is very less.
I use about 75 gms of dhall to make rasam for 3 people.

magnolia
9th May 2005, 08:38 AM
Hi Nichiro,
You have mentioned that you resided in CIT colony madras. Just curious to know where as i am from cit colony ,madras.

Nichiro
9th May 2005, 11:09 AM
Hi Magnolia,
I resided in CIT Colony in 2nd Main road,
No. 20 in Late Telugu actress Suryakantham's house.
Now there are flats there.
Next house of mine are an Iyengar Family.
Left house, late Mr. Thomas used to live.
Where do you live?
Nichiro

magnolia
9th May 2005, 05:54 PM
Hi Nichiro ,
I am residing at 5th cross street opposite a play ground and the not so famous "aunty school".

Nichiro
9th May 2005, 07:03 PM
Ok, I know now .
How is CIT Colony now?

magnolia
9th May 2005, 07:20 PM
Well ,CIT colony has changed a lot with not many independent houses any more but still remains a very quiet neighbourhood .I guess the iyengar family that you mentioned would be Dr Lakshmi kumari.

luz
14th May 2005, 05:32 AM
hi Nichiro, i'm waiting for the puliodarai recepie which u said will post from our unsung hero.post it whenever u find time-

Nichiro
14th May 2005, 06:26 AM
Hello Magnolia,
Bingo !!
Yes, Dr.Laksmikumari, Rajaji , his wife , and unmarried sisters.
I think, Rajaji's son would be about 33 now.As old as my son.

Nichiro
14th May 2005, 06:27 AM
Hello Luz,

I would do it on Sunday.

tomato
22nd May 2005, 01:32 PM
Nichiro,
I prepared the iyengar rasam powder and also made rasam with it. Needless to say it was too delicious, I was slurping bowls of the rasam even before sitting down to lunch.
Do free up some of ur time to post the puliyogare recipe for all us us. And many thanx to Mr. Kamath for sharing his recipe. Actually I find quite surprising that Mr. Kamath shares his recipes so freely. Coz Chefs (espiacially the wedding food people) r very secretive abt thier recipes. So I really appreciate Mr. Kamath. Also pls do not forget to ask him if he knows any Konkani Recipes when u next meet him.

Nichiro
22nd May 2005, 04:33 PM
Hello Tomato,
I do have Mr. Kamth's recipes for Puliogarai and Puliogarai Gojju.
I think If I do not post soon, I will be doing injustice to Mr. Kamath.

Nichiro

I meet Mr. Kamth daily but problem is, he is presently busyeither with marriage preparations or other engagement food preparation.
I asked him about Konkani recipes but he said he does not know.

khushi
23rd May 2005, 07:18 AM
Hello Nichiroji,
Can you please ask Mr. Kamat for Pulav recipe? I prepare Pulav too but I want to know the recipe of pulav served in marriage ceremony. I love that taste.

-Thanks,
Sushma

Nichiro
23rd May 2005, 07:27 PM
Hello Sushma,

I went to meet Mr. Kamth today.
But he has gone to some function for cooking.
He will be free tomorrow.
I will ask him and post the recipe for Marriage pulao.

Nichiro

By the way, you cannot say Nichiro ji,
In Japanese, you add san after the name
Nichiro is fine but if you want, you may write,

Nichiro san

khushi
24th May 2005, 12:09 AM
Hello Nichiro,
My name is not Sushma that is my cousin's name. I don't know why I signed that name(may be I'm remembering her too much). Just FYI.

-Regards,
Khushi.

khushi
24th May 2005, 08:20 PM
Nichiro,
Please do post the marriage pulao once you get the recipe from Mr.Kamat. I have been craving for it for a very long time.

-Thanks,
Khushi.

SlurpSlurp
10th June 2005, 07:33 AM
Hello

Do any of u guys live in US ? I was wondering where did u find Bedge Chillies in US coz i'm desperately looking out for it , without
them my sambaars have lost their taste :( . Pls let me know where i can find the bedge chillies here ?

Slurp Slurp

Nichiro
10th June 2005, 07:55 AM
Hello Khushi,
Thanks for your personal note.
I keep meeting Mr. Kamath but since marriage season is so thick here that poor man has no time to breath.
I will be off the line from tomorrow till 11th July.
I will post his recipes in Ashadha Masa when he has no work.
Nichiro

honeydew
10th June 2005, 08:52 AM
hi tomato ,
pls post me iyengar rasam for me too. dewhoneycream27@yahoo.com.sg

honeydew
10th June 2005, 09:05 AM
hi tomato ,
i found out the rasam powder, ignore my first request , thanks

regds
honey

Nichiro
10th June 2005, 01:14 PM
BEDGI CHILIES

I saw Bedagi chiles in Coconut Hill in Fremont CA .
You will get Salem Idly rice, Ponni Arisi , Bedagi chiles and what not there.

SlurpSlurp
10th June 2005, 08:19 PM
Thanx Nichiro ! That gives me some hope ! :D

Slurp Slurp .

MysoreHudugi
11th June 2005, 01:46 AM
You get these in Indian stores in NJ. I found it in Philly indian stores.

sudhakarthik
11th June 2005, 03:57 AM
Hi,

I live in denver. Can anyone tell me how do Bedagi chiles look like or in what name are they available in Indian stores.

Thanks in advance,

Sudha Karthik

Nichiro
11th June 2005, 05:20 AM
Bedgi chilies are long , orangish/dark red and have wrinkled skin. Smell strong but not hot.

sarithasai5
19th June 2005, 01:28 AM
Hello Hemanth ji!

Could u please give the recipe for Iyenger's Sambar Powder whenver possible for u?
Wld be thankful if so

Thanks in advance:)

Nichiro
5th July 2005, 12:09 PM
Sorry folks.

I was out of my Den for about a month.
I met Mr. Kamath today. He is relatively free this month. I will start his contributions after 17th.

Nichiro

tomato
5th July 2005, 12:17 PM
Welcome back Nichiro. :D

vm
6th July 2005, 01:14 AM
great to see u back

rsankar
28th May 2006, 09:39 PM
Hello Nichiro,

This time I prepared Iyengar Rasam powder,
the smell is so good and the rasam taste also good.

Thanks for sharing this.

rsankar.

ayeshasadique
28th May 2006, 11:17 PM
[quote="Nichiro"]India has a rich culinery culture preserved and brought forward by many unsung heroes
who are the real masters of their art. But being uneducated or less educated, their
art lies with themselves . They are also under priviledged and mostly exploited by hoteliers or
well known catering service houses. They spend their whole lives in the kitchen without being
recognised for their talents.

very rightly said !! Sometimes I think the same when Iam eating at some hindu wedding ceremonies...the items would be so perfect....

all the best... and Iam looking forward to more lip smacking recipes :thumbsup:

ayeshasadique
28th May 2006, 11:27 PM
where would I get the bedge chilli in Abu dhabi or Dubai?

ayeshasadique
28th May 2006, 11:59 PM
I once happened to eat a 'iyengar puliyogare' which my friend gave me....she said it was the way it is prepared in the temples.....it was very unique....it was during my school days...i still remember the unique taste....i hope i get to prepare it myself !! :)

Nichiro
29th May 2006, 06:41 AM
Dear friends,
just 1 month before I moved to US in April, Mr. Kamath's boss moved his business to 16th cross Malleshwaram and I lost touch with Mr. Kamath. I feel so sorry for that selfless hard working man.

May be some day, I will continue the quest .
Nichiro