PDA

View Full Version : Aamboor biryani

ruby
1st May 2005, 09:26 AM
Can someone send me a recipe for aamboor biryani and thindukal biryani.I ave been trying a lot of biryani recipes and nothing seems to be good as i expect,I would really appreciate if anyone can share a good recipe,Thanks

cooldude_123
1st May 2005, 11:53 AM
--SPAM...deleted by mod---

Nichiro
1st May 2005, 10:04 PM
Hello Ruby,
The biriyani recipe that is given in following link is actually Ambur Biriyani. The Khansama who taught me that preparation is from Ambur.

http://www.hemant-trivedis-cookery-corner.com/Ricedishes/mvbiryani.html

indu
2nd May 2005, 12:38 PM
Hi Ruby,
These recipes are by the popular Tamil chef Damodaran [ Dhamu], who is also the head of the MGR Catering College , in Chennai. He had done a special series on JAYA TV, called Regional Delicacies, ' oor virundhu'. The following 2 recipes of Dindukkal Biryani and Vellore Amboor Biryani are part of that series. Enjoy !

DINDUKKAL BIRYANI

Wash 1/2 kg. of JEERAKA SAMBA rice and soak for 30mins. Clean 1/2 kg. mutton pieces. Finely slice 1/4kg. of onions and chop 1/4 kg. of tomatoes. Heat 100gm. cooking oil [ can also use some ghee , about 50gm. in addition to the oil] in a heavy vessel, and splutter 2 sticks cinnamon, 2 cloves, 2 cardamom, 1 bay leaf, 1 stone algae [ kadal paasi in tamil ] and one maraati moggu [ I don't know the English name]. Then add onions and saute till brown. Then add paste of 6 garlic and 50gm. ginger, and the tomatoes and cook till raw smell goes. Then add washed mutton, 4 chopped green chillies , 1/4 tsp. turmeric powder, 2 tsp. chilli powder, 3 tsp. dhania powder, 1/2 a bundle of mint leaves, chopped, 1/2 cup thick curds, and cook till oil floats on top. Then add water twice the amount of rice , add required salt and cook the mutton. When the mutton is 3/4th. done, add the drained rice, mix, cover and cook. Do not disturb till you see small pits forming on top of the biryani. Then add little red [kesari] food colour dissolved in little water, mix well but lightly, and cook on 'dum' for half an hour. Serve hot with regular pachadi [made with onion, coriander leaves, tomatoes in curd].

AAMBUR BIRYANI

BASMATHI rice - 500 gms. No kadalpasi, maratti moggu in this recipe. The rest of the ingredients required and their quantity is the same as the above recipe. But method of cooking is different.

Method: Take 1 1/2 litres of water in a heavy pan. Add half the spices [clove,cardamom etc.] and boil the water. Add washed rice, salt and cook till 3/4th. done and drain the water. Set the rice aside. Meanwhile, clean the mutton. Mix it with curd, chopped tomatoes, mint leaves, coriander leaves, ginger garlic paste, turmeric powder and slit green chillies. Mix well and marinate for at least 30 mins. Heat the oil/ghee in a heavy pan, splutter the remaining whole spices, and fry the onions till brown. Then add muttons and cook till oil floats on top. Then add coriander powder and chilli powder, salt, and sufficient water to cook the meat. Once the mutton is cooked, and the mixture thickens, add the cooked rice, mix well and cook the biryani on 'dum' for 30mins. Serve hot with regular pachadi [made with onion, coriander leaves, tomatoes in curd].

Hope you make and relish these delicious biryanis.
Bye,
Indu.

ruby
2nd May 2005, 08:32 PM
Thanks Nichiro and Indu,I will try these recipes,looks yummy

Kz
3rd May 2005, 01:59 AM
Hi Indhu,

I used to love chef Damodaran's cookery programs and used to note down his recipes. is his program still going on? do u have any of his other recipes? if so do pls post them.
Kz

nutcr0cker
3rd May 2005, 07:31 AM
CLICK HERE TO GET THE RECIPES BY SANJEEV KAPOOR FOR FREE (http://www.earnmoneyindia.com/earn/idevaffiliate.php?id=asshole&page=4) ===== SPAMMER DONOT CLICK THE LINK

indu
6th May 2005, 12:54 AM
Hello Kz,
I have seen only 1 or 2 episodes of Dhamu's cooking show, many months ago, in a relatives home . Yes, I too love watching those mud vessels, and his way of explaining the procedure before he starts the actual cooking. He is very natural, no 'bandha' etc. though I had to really listen to understand some of his words, esp. ones like 'kuzhikarandi'. Actually, we don't see much TV in our home at all. His recipes which I have with me are only from this 'oor' series that he did, and which I copied from a friend who watches and writes them down in a note.
Other than these few recipes, I don't have any other of his dishes. If you want, I can post this 'oor' series itself, whatever the ones that I've got with me. Are you looking for any recipe in particular ?
Bye for now,
Indu.

R.C.
6th May 2005, 03:16 AM
Hello Indu,

Please do post the 'Oor' series recipes you have.

Thanks,
R.C.

indu
7th May 2005, 04:56 PM
Hello Kz and RC,
Just now, I have started a thread on Mr. Dhamu's recipes. Alongwith the biryani recipes , I have posted 2 more vegetarian recipes. I will post the rest of what I have, one by one in the coming days. Hope you'll find them useful in making and enjoying delicious dishes.
Bye.

Ilavenil
14th May 2005, 07:25 AM
Does anyone know how to make kathrikai kosthu, which is a side dish for briyaani, please?

Pearl
9th July 2005, 12:28 AM
MURG AMBARI BIRYANI

SERVES: FOUR

400 GM BONELESS CHICKEN, CUBED 125 GM GHEE 5 GM GARAM MASALA POWDER 60 GM GINGER GARLIC PASTE 150 GM CURD 3 GM WHITE PEPPER POWDER SALT TO TASTE 10 GM GINGER, JULIENNED 8 GREEN CHILLIES, SLIT LENGTHWISE 15 GM BROWNED ONIONS 400 GM BASMATI RICE, WASHED AND SOAKED FOR 20 MINUTES 1 GM CARDAMOM - MACE POWDER 70 ML CREAM 1 TBSP MINT LEAVES, CHOPPED ATTA DOUGH FOR SEALING THE LID 2 EGGS, HARD-BOILED, SHELLED AND SLICED METHOD: HEAT GHEE IN A PAN AND SEASON WITH THE WHOLE GARAM MASALA, ADD GINGER-GARLIC PASTE AND SAUTE FOR A MINUTE. ADD THE CHICKEN AND SAUTE FOR THREE MINUTES. ADD CURD, PEPPER POWDER, SALT, GINGER JULIENNES, GREEN CHILLIES AND BROWN ONIONS. FRY WELL AND COOK TILL THE CHICKEN IS COOKED.] BRING PLENTY OF WATER TO A BOIL WITH SALT. ADD RICE AND COOK TILL THREE-FOURTHS DONE. DRAIN OUT THE WATER. PUT THE PAN WITH CHICKEN ON LOW HEAT. SPRINKLE CARDAMON-MACE POWDER, CREAM AND MINT LEAVES OVER. ARRANGE THE EGG SLICES OVER IT. COVER WITH A LAYER OF RICE. SPRINKLE SAFFRON MILK. COVER THE RICE WITH MOIST CLOTH OR BUTTER PAPER AND SEAL THE LID WITH ATTA DOUGH. PUT THE SEALED PAN ON DUM IN A PRE-HEATED OVEN OR ON A HOT PLATE WITH LIVE CHARCOAL ON TOP FOR 10 TO 15 MINUTES. SERVE HOT.

Pearl