PDA

View Full Version : Wierd...Unconventional recipies.

Surya
30th April 2005, 09:56 AM
Hi,
Please post wierd and unconventional recipies here. :D

U know...like Brown Sugar Sambar.....or........Tomato Kesari or something. :D

tomato
30th April 2005, 10:25 AM
Surya,
R u serious ????
what is brown sugar sambhar, tomato kesari ect ect. Are these real dishes or is this your attempt to start a 'jokes' thread in the 'Indian Food' section? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Surya
30th April 2005, 10:30 AM
R u telling me that I'm the only one who experiments this stuff? :shock:

Just kidding, well brown sugar sambar is one of the mistakes that I did in my attempt to cook. I never tried to cook after that. :lol2:

But the Tomato Kesari......I think I read it in some magazine or something. I was quite discusted too. But this thread is for a few brave souls who dare to try these recipies. :lol:

Got any.

Pammi Randhawa
30th April 2005, 10:49 AM
WOW !!!!!!!!!!

Hi Surya,

How abt me posting Monkey Tail soup ?
Or Used egg shell di bhajji or cactus Da wada. ????
And call'em Dhaba recipe :lol:

Jus kiddin. Ya many out of the universe recipes are there.

Not a bad idea Munde.

pammi

Nichiro
30th April 2005, 01:30 PM
Hello Surya,
Ummmmm. Once I saw on TV a recipe being cooked which I think was very weird.

You know what ? It was ICE CREAM BHAJEE.

Interested ? I will post the recipe with a slight different method .

Nichiro
30th April 2005, 01:34 PM
Hello Pammi,

Cactus wada would be very pricking Hot :evil:
Egg shell Bhajji would be crisp :lol:
Not sure about Monkey Tail soup......because I am not sure of the origin of the soup :wink:

Surya
1st May 2005, 12:41 AM
Hello Surya,
Ummmmm. Once I saw on TV a recipe being cooked which I think was very weird.

You know what ? It was ICE CREAM BHAJEE.

Interested ? I will post the recipe with a slight different method .

Relly? Please do post. I've got friends of my sister's that I hate coming over soon, maybe if I try some of this, they'll stop! :twisted:

I went to this thai restaurant last year or so....and saw
" fried banana ice cream" is that what ur talking about? :D

Thanks for the replies guys. :thumbsup:

Nichiro
1st May 2005, 10:44 PM
will do in a couple of days.

Surya
3rd May 2005, 05:12 AM
Thanks a bunch in advance! :thumbsup:

tomato
3rd May 2005, 09:26 AM
Hey I have had fried icecream once. Yes ironic as it sounds the outside was hot and crispy and the inside was soft cold icecream. It was a scoop of strawberry icecream wrapped in bread and deep fried. I had this at a foodcourt in Singapore at Plaza Singapura(a shopping mall near Dhobi Gaut Mrt station). Anyone currently in Singapore or planning to visit can give 'Fried Icecream' a try just for the fun of it.

Surya
5th May 2005, 01:14 AM
Thanks. Yeah, I think that it's like an Asian thing. I had it @ a Thai place, it was surpricingly good. :D

Surya
21st May 2005, 12:30 AM
Where is all the creativity in this forum!? :D

Surya
8th June 2005, 03:26 AM
COME ON GUYS!!! I'VE GOT MY SISTER'S FRIENDS COMING OVER THIS WEEKND!!!

444 VIEWS AND NO RECIPIES!!!! I NEED HELP!!! :D :D

Anoushka
20th June 2005, 09:44 PM
Surya, I think most weird recipes come because of mistakes made while cooking!

Like the lettuce sambar I made! I for some reason was walking around half asleep in the local grocers and thought the lettuce that was there was curly kale and picked it up. Came home and made sambar out of it... only after my husband came home and checked the packet that I realised I had made lettuce sambar... turned out not bad though!

Remember making turnip poryial once - that was a disaster! Grated turnip, did the usual seasoning of mustard, urad dal, channa dal, jeera and hing, with some curry leaves and chopped green chillies, added the turnip to it and then added salt and lemon juice to it at the end! Never ever went back to it again!!!

grl95014
28th June 2005, 03:48 AM
Well, my husband grocery shopped for me once. I made Cilantro chutney the next day. It tasted weird, bitter and had a strange smell. After a lot of backtracing I found that he picked up Parsely instead of Cilantro at the store as he did not know the difference! And I did not check before I used it. So, if you want a weird Indian recipe, substitute Parsely for Cilantro :lol:

Tharuna
28th June 2005, 09:00 PM
removed my weird recipes

kavithasenthil
28th June 2005, 10:02 PM
How abt making puri with pasai mavu(gum flour) instead of atta. My firend and her cousin did it accidently. I know surya is not expecting this kind of recipes. Think he wants weird recipe which tastes good.

Surya
24th January 2006, 06:25 AM
It might taste good.....:huh:

A wise person once said:

"Some of the BEST RECIPIES were done by accident."

Tharuna,
Why did u remove ur wierd recipies? :cry:

Surya
24th January 2006, 06:28 AM
Like the lettuce sambar I made! I for some reason was walking around half asleep in the local grocers and thought the lettuce that was there was curly kale and picked it up. Came home and made sambar out of it... only after my husband came home and checked the packet that I realised I had made lettuce sambar... turned out not bad though!

Remember making turnip poryial once - that was a disaster! Grated turnip, did the usual seasoning of mustard, urad dal, channa dal, jeera and hing, with some curry leaves and chopped green chillies, added the turnip to it and then added salt and lemon juice to it at the end! Never ever went back to it again!!!

This is GREAT STUFF!! :lol:

substitute Parsely for Cilantro

:shock:

Miami
25th January 2006, 10:18 AM
I once made a mutton dish by following a recipe from a Chinese cook book. The recipe asked for cooking mutton in plenty of soya sauce and sugar among other things. When the dish was ready, none in our family could eat more than a few pieces. It was sticky with sugar and bad taste. So what we did next? Rinsed the remaining dish with water to remove all that we added during cooking. Then fried onions, tomatoes , spices and re-cooked the meat in Indian style and ate it.

It was a weird recipe.

Anoushka
1st February 2006, 04:56 PM
Once when I was sharing a house with few guys, I was out sick and so was another guy. It was about one in the afternoon and both of us were starving, and there was no food at home... all we found was bread, egg and a can of baked beans.... decided to add egg and baked beans together and make scrambled egg with baked beans.... turned out really good actually!!!

Thinking of it, once my husband and myself decided to try baked beans sambar, that wasn't bad either, I didn't like the slight sweet taste that it had, other than that it was good :)

kavikuil
8th February 2006, 09:27 PM
When I came to US for the first time, I read somewhere that broccoli is a super food, etc etc... So, I decided to try it [Mind you, I hadnt seen broccoli cooked or served in restaurants till then, so I had no clue] I made broccoli sambar out of it and well it was a diaster!

The second disaster was a fish curry I made for the first time. After the curry was ready, I put the fish pieces in it and waited for the fish to cook for about an hr. yep, an hour!!!! I had a pot full of fish burji :roll:

Weird recipes: Well, I can give you some. Not really weird, just different recipes!

Jackfruit poori recipe: Grind ripe jackfruit to a pulp (you can used tinned stuff too, just drain it before using) and mix the pulp the flour to make the dough. Make small crisp pooris and sprinkle powdered sugar n the pooris when they are still hot.

Chocolate covered palkova: Make paalkova thicker than usual and make small balls out of it. Melt chocolate in a double boiler (or heat water in a bigger vessel and put a small vessel inside this and melt chocolate in that) and cover the palkova with this chocolate coating.

Same can be done with carrot halwa/beetroot halwa too.

Hey, if you really want to make them stop coming, offer them healthy punches made with pavakkai! Just dont tell them what it contains. Aditi devo bava, yes! but gods are the ones that made pavakkai. :wink:

Healthy Pavakkai Punch: Remove seeds out of pavakkai/bitter melon. Make thick juice. Add a dash of pepper and salt. Serve cold. It's an absolutely healthy punch. I would never drink it, though!

Or make pavakkai parathas!

Or make some easy raw food dishes and say you guys are on a raw food diet these days!

Do you need weird recipes or weird recipes that will stop your guests from coming, uninvited?

pooja.shankar
2nd March 2006, 02:32 PM
well i am a very eccentric person ..

if i am alone ..i wouldn;t really bother cooking. .

i ll stick to simple ..natural foods. .

like a Fuji apple and a juice and a toast for BREAKFAST

LUNCH
yogurt, tetra pack juices , bread or chapati , boiled potato with salt and onion and chilli powder

DINNER
I make some subzi because dad will be there...and he can;t eat my ' raw' food LOL..

or most of the time ..he'll cook something ..he s a good cook ..or we go out and have dinner somewer ....

MY UNCONVENTIONAL RECIPES ..

okay now this wat ..u ll call 'eccentric' ..
wen i am HUNGRY and lazy to make something ...this is wat i eat

chinese crackers ( those tastely thin crisp crackers ) with yogurt

Kerala bananas - fry them with ghee and sugar ....( yummy .... though .i have seen some other people do this )

Frozen corn ( i dunno if u'll get 'em in india ) , thaw it in the microwave and eat it with melted butter , lemon juice , chilli powder adn salt

KURKURE with chopped tomatoes , onions , mashed potato( optional ) ,salt and yogurt

and some more ....i dunt remember ...i ll come back and post ...abt 'em ..when i do

pooja.shankar
2nd March 2006, 03:52 PM
YEAH I JUST REMEMBERED ANOTHER WEIRD RECIPE OF MINE .......

instant gourmet

lol

old idli fried with tomato ketchup and onions and salt
and for desert

icecream in pepsi ..howztht ?