PDA

View Full Version : What is an "eeyum shombu"???

luvsilver
25th April 2005, 10:12 PM
I'm looking for the metal composition of this vessel used to make Rasam in SI....I was told that the metal is Lead, but I'm doubtful that the vessel is made from it.

Could the metal be tin....or some alloy?

Thanks in advance!

Luvsilver

Hemant Trived1
25th April 2005, 10:24 PM
Luvsilver,
Iiyam chombu or eeyum chombu has been discussed in this forum recently.
It figures in old thread called varaq.
eeyum chombu is made of Tin only.

luvsilver
25th April 2005, 11:06 PM
Thank you.....well I found this forum when I did a google for eeyum....but was not able to find the thread?

I thougth as much....since tin has a low melting point, and this vessel apparently does melt at high temperatures!

Luvsilver

Minni
25th April 2005, 11:30 PM
Here is the link of the above said discussion:

http://forumhub.com/southfood/9293.22851.21.33.19.html

Hope that helps.

Minni

Pearl
2nd May 2005, 07:08 PM
South Indians/Tamilians like to prepare rasam in a iyaa chombu - which is a vessell made out of lead.. it gives a special flavor.. be aware that the vessel will melt if you don’t have water in it, before keeping it over the flame. Lead melts at a very low temperature so if you kept it over the gas and turn your back to just wash your hands or do something else for a moment.. the base will be gone.

Pearl Subramanian

Nichiro
2nd May 2005, 07:25 PM
[tscii:946a071f9c]South Indians/Tamilians like to prepare rasam in a iyaa chombu - which is a vessell made out of lead.. it gives a special flavor.. be aware that the vessel will melt if you don’t have water in it, before keeping it over the flame. Lead melts at a very low temperature so if you kept it over the gas and turn your back to just wash your hands or do something else for a moment.. the base will be gone.

Pearl Subramanian[/tscii:946a071f9c]

Hello Madam,
Iiya Chombu is not made of Lead. Lead is a poisonous metal and its usage in food preparation is ruled out.
Tin is the metal which is used in making of the chombu.
Hope you would correct your understanding.

Pearl
2nd May 2005, 10:43 PM
I am prepared to correct my understanding if I am wrong - I think you better go and do a research & correct your's & then let me know - Thanx for the trouble taken in replying -

Pearl

Pearl
2nd May 2005, 10:44 PM
I am prepared to correct my understanding if I am wrong - I think you better go and do a research & correct your's & then let me know - Thanx for the trouble taken in replying -

Pearl

Nichiro
2nd May 2005, 10:51 PM
Hello Madam,
I am sorry if you have been inadvertantly hurt.
But Lead is not the metal .
I had a lengthy discussion with the maker of these IIYAM CHOMBUS in Triplicane Madras.
The manufacturer himself has given me this information first hand.

You may varify this information from your sources.

Badri
3rd May 2005, 05:32 AM
Yes, eeyum is not Lead (Pb) but Tin (Sn). I too have this from authentic sources. Lead is a definite source of poisoning and it is not the original eeyum. Any search on the web would give you enough material on lead poisoning, and I haven't heard of all those effects among South Indians who have used eeya chombus for ages.

However, the manufacturers also told me that in the last few years (I am talking about 1940-1980) lead has been sometimes used by unscruplous manufacturers and hence the popular notion. If you have a eeya chombu with you, you can take it to any analyst and he can provide you its original composition.

If the eeya chombu that you have has been in the family for generations, then chances are that it is authentic tin alloy only, and not lead. It is only the more recent ones that are spurious.

Hope this clarifies Pearl's and luvsilver's doubt. And Pearl, sometimes, we can be wrong, and before we point it out to another person, it would help if we do our own research. By pointing out, we only increase the acrimony in the Hub. Please treat this as a humble suggestion, and not as anything else. I do not certainly wish to give offence.

rajraj
3rd May 2005, 05:54 AM
Badri,
You are right. The vessels are made of tin (veLLeeyam). Lead is called kaareeyam (black lead/tin). The vessels used for cooking are generally very thick. They also used tin (eeyam as the metal was called) to coat copper vessels. Those who used to coat the vessels (eeyam poosubavan) used to walk the streets announcing their presence and housewives gave their vessels for a new coat! :)
Lead is poisonous and has been eliminated from paints in US.

grl95014
18th May 2005, 11:37 AM
I only know that Eeyam is an alloy. I am sure that it would not contain lead as it is a dangerous substance.
Lead poisoning is a very serious issue and it could lead to brain damage, miscarriage etc etc. Please do not use or touch any item made from Lead or been in contact with Lead. Be extra cautious if you have children in your household. Just a friendly warning.
More on lead poisoning: http://www.epa.gov/lead/leadinfo.htm#health

Pearl
26th May 2005, 12:44 PM
Hi, Nichiro; sbadri99; rajraj; grl95014

This is Pearl, read yr. comments on the topic of Eeyum Chumbu - thought of just passing on this link to you - hope to hear from you regarding this link & comments/queries.

Thanks

Pearl

http://www.echarcha.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-2491.html

Badri
26th May 2005, 12:59 PM
Well Pearl...I visited the link, which seems to be a discussion forum of another sort. Wedged in between discussions of testosterone and old age, I found one solitary reference to eeya chombu by a Gpel.

What comments would you like us to post regarding that?

Is this Gpel the world's authority on Eeya chombu's by any remote chance? Is he a merchant acutally dealing with eeya chombu? A manufacturer perhaps? At least a person with some chemisty background?

Does this link provide any proofs that eeya chombu is undisputably and unarguably made of lead?

I not understand...

Pearl
26th May 2005, 01:57 PM
Hi Badri,
Recd. yr. reply - I don't think U should get so worked up on the link I gave - It was just for me to get an idea on the same from all of you on this write up which was on this link - I would'nt know better if he is a merchant or an authority on the same. I just wanted to share this link with you all that's it - but if it is going to disturbe you people - then just forget the same.

Pearl

Badri
27th May 2005, 05:30 AM
Hey Pearl!

No, wasn't getting worked up or anything! Sorry, if I came across like that. Just that I opened the link thinking it might have some real info, and then, had to search through and finally found something which again, wasn't very informative.

surekha
15th June 2005, 10:37 PM
Badri,

finally i guess your tag line of interpreting things in two ways must have come handy! :)

Badri
16th June 2005, 06:16 AM
Badri,

finally i guess your tag line of interpreting things in two ways must have come handy! :)

Experience, surekha, has taught me to add that line as my signature!! Coz no matter how you may say a thing, there are possibilities of it being misinterpreted! :)

surekha
19th June 2005, 12:01 AM
By experience, you mean marriage? :D Just kidding. And I promise this is my last post on this thread :)