PDA

View Full Version : History of Kerala Pillai

ravi4u2
13th November 2004, 04:34 AM
Since, time immemorial, clans existed among Dravidians; but they cannot be equated to castes of later periods as they had only two castes; the ruling caste and the common people. The Pillais were the rulers of the Dravidians. PILLAI people excelled in all the GREAT things of life like IYAL (governance), ISAI (music), NADAGAM (drama) and WAR. Thus, the Pillais were the natural selection as rulers and priest-kings. The rulers and priest-king people wielded tremendous power over the indus people, so that the civilisation as a whole remained DISCIPLINED. But the priest-kings were kind hearted too, because they know what ARAM (charity) means. For prove on Pillai name existance in INDUS VALLEY times, check www.harappa.com - where the page regarding the INDUS VALLEY DECYPHERMENT by Asko Parpola (Univ Prof. Helsinki, Finland).

Then, in 1500BC, Nomadic Aryans invaded India, destroying the Indus valley civilization and exterminating the Indus inhabitants. Thus, the most brilliant civilization of the ancient world ended. The Dravidians were pushed south. The Aryans established a very rigid form of caste system to establish themselves as the supreme race, out of fear to establish the purity of their race, to keep their trade secrets among themselves and for natural selction purposes (best trade + best mind=best salary). The Aryans established themselves as Brahmins. But even then the Brahmins could not displace the Dravidic Pillais. The Pillais established themselves as Kshatriyas (warriors) and as Vaishyas (land owners) and second only to the Brahmins, through their expertise in governance and cultivation gained through years of best scientific research of that time.

Dravidians who did cultivation, using water were called "Vellalas"(Castes & Tribes of South India - ET.Thurston, VII 361). As the Pillais were the rulers of these Dravidians, they were also called vellalas. The vellalas who migrated from banks of Ganga was called "Gangavamsa vellalar". Plough was their symbol. There is ample evidence to indicate that the original Chera , Chola and Pandia Kings were Vellalas. In Kerala and Sree Lanka vellalas are thriving. 50% of Sri Lankan origin Tamilians are vellalas. Almost all political, business and academic leadership of Tamil community of Sri Lanka has been provided by vellalas.

During the Pallalav period and particularly during King Perumal’s rule, they brought "Vellalas"- the cultivators and accountants of Tamilnadu-to Keralam. They settled permanently here and many of them became Traders and Accountants. They were posted as Accountants in Government posts and hence were called "KanakkaPilla" and as Village officers ("Pillaannan"). They were highly efficient. Vellalas, Cultivators of Tamil nadu became Pillai’s (Accountants & Village Officers) of Kerala. Kerala Pillai’s are mostly rulers of Thiruvidhankur samasthanam. The Vellala Pillais of Kerala are not saivas (vegetarians). The 8 Veetu Pillais of Kerela are rulers of Thiruvidhankur samasthanam (kingdom).

nirosha sen
14th November 2004, 08:35 AM
Wonder exactly where is this thread heading to??? I mean the posting was certainly informative enough but how does one equate its significance to contemporary time??? :? :? :?

virarajendra
25th November 2004, 10:53 PM
Could you very kindly let me know the dynastic list of Thiruvithankur Pillais who were also known as Jaminthars ruling between A.D.1800 - A.D 1900

RSH

davie
26th November 2004, 09:00 AM
@nirosha
lol . when there are guys like me it can never go into the wrong direction.
but i wonder why these people have started threads like history of pillai history of nairs etc . lol. i think they are very very eager to know their history. well there is nothing like pillais or nadars
all are almost the same

blahblah
26th November 2004, 05:20 PM
Caste,caste and caste!Why there is no emoticon which shows contempt? :roll: