PDA

View Full Version : whistles

waaza
5th April 2005, 09:17 PM
HI all,
can someone please tell me what this is about, "cook for 4 whistles"
How long is a whistle, is it a standard period?
cheers
Waaza :wink:

tomato
6th April 2005, 09:28 AM
Hello waaza,
The term 'cook for 4 whistles' is usually used when cooking in a pressure cooker. When u cook in the pressure cooker using 'weight' ( a tiny attachment that u put on the vent of the lid), u usually get a whistlinsg sound when the steam escapes thro the vent. This sound is called 'the whistle'.

waaza
6th April 2005, 06:23 PM
The term 'cook for 4 whistles' is usually used when cooking in a pressure cooker. When u cook in the pressure cooker using 'weight' ( a tiny attachment that u put on the vent of the lid), u usually get a whistlinsg sound when the steam escapes thro the vent. This sound is called 'the whistle'.

I remember those weights, but there were only three of them (5, 10 and 15psi) if I remember correctly. So what does 4 whistles mean?
thanks for your reply
cheers
Waaza

tomato
6th April 2005, 08:54 PM
Really, I'm at a loss when u r speaking of (5, 10, 15psi). We usually get only one weight ( sometime loosely refered to as 'whistle' : I guess I'm confusing u further :lol: )
If u have understoond the "whistling sound" that i mentioned, u must hear it 4 times , that is what four whistles means.
Well this is how most pressure cookers work, but i'm not sure abt any new models available now a days.

shanta
6th April 2005, 10:55 PM
I remember those weights, but there were only three of them (5, 10 and 15psi) if I remember correctly. So what does 4 whistles mean?
waaza,

Some of the Indian Pressure cookers like Prestige(http://www.prestigesmartkitchen.com/deluxe_ss.html) have a whistling-weight-valve thingy at the top commonly called as 'weight', which when the pressure builds up lifts itself and gives out short loud whistles - the 4 whistles means you wait for it to whistle four times and then either switch off the gas/stove or lower the heat per instructions in your recipe.

My little one is so scared of these whistles I hardly use my Prestige Cooker nowadays :)

Hope this helps.

svasu_ani
7th April 2005, 06:29 AM
Waaza,

I think you arent using Indian model of the pressure cooker. If you had picked the one from US or UK, they wouldn have been the whistling model. you willl be setting the presssure and leave it for 5 to 10 mts of hissing of steam for cooking.

Anitha

46jw
7th April 2005, 07:51 AM
Using USA model pressure cooker... Other than the initial whistle, it is just a simmer of steam no subsequent whistles..

How can we convert whistles to time under pressure?

Uma
7th April 2005, 01:12 PM
we can also share the number of whistles that each item need. eg: for dhall 3, for channa or chole 8.