PDA

View Full Version : To kill a mocking bird - Harper Lee

Cygnus
5th April 2005, 03:32 AM
I am currently reading this absolute treasure of a novel. I have seen the movie before and I remember being enthralled by the charming children and their southern gentleman father played marvellously by Gregory Peck ( Best Actor Oscar for his splendid performance). Please share your thoughts on this intricately detailed delightful book, if you've read it. I highly recommend this novel for anyone interested in reading fiction that is similar to the genre of "Swamy and friends" and "Prathapa Mudaliar Sarithram" poignantly infusing racial injustice in a poor town in Alabama during the Depression era.

There used to be an old thread by this title but I couldn't find it now, hence the new thread... :)

NM
26th April 2005, 09:44 AM
Cygnus,

I agree with you about Gregory peck's sterling performance in the movie - the movie and the man himself have remained my favourites till today! :thumbsup:

I read the book ages ago, when I was still in my teens and did not think much about it until I saw the movie and then, I appreciated the book...silly isn't it? Just saw the topic in this forum and thought of penning down my 2 cents' worth.

Happy Reading - am sure you'll enjoy it and you can picture Gregory as you're reading the book....

Rgds.

rajasaranam
28th April 2005, 11:05 PM
Cygnus,

Havent seen the movie yet but read the book a couple of times. The book ponders into many realities which are tough to grasp at first. Atticus is sure an inspiring human being. Enjoy reading :thumbsup:

Cygnus
28th April 2005, 11:56 PM
NM!!

Glad you're back! Yes I did picture Peck as Atticus while reading the book and I loved it!! The movie absolutely is my all time favorite and I agree, I worship Gregory Peck too!! :D

Rajasaranam!

Hi and thanks for your response. I finished the book long ago and re-read many parts that strike some indescribable chord deep in the soul....

I don't think I can find the right words to describe Atticus. He is the epitome of righteousness without the element of ideality, that makes him very much human and tangible. Since I had seen the movie before reading the book, I was constantly picturing Gregory Peck as Atticus while reading. He has nothing short of immortalized Atticus!

Sinthiya
21st November 2006, 08:37 AM
Cygnus,

I agree with you about Gregory peck's sterling performance in the movie - the movie and the man himself have remained my favourites till today! :thumbsup:

I read the book ages ago, when I was still in my teens and did not think much about it until I saw the movie and then, I appreciated the book...silly isn't it? Just saw the topic in this forum and thought of penning down my 2 cents' worth.

NM :)...

Gregory Peck is simply awesome! what a performance! :notworthy:

I completely agree with you...I read the book in high school, but never truly appreciated until I watched the movie recently... :cry: ....it's not silly, we are visual ppl and i think watching a classic piece like that will impact anyone....
one of the BEST!!! :) ....

rain
22nd November 2006, 11:45 PM
love this book.i also loved the character of scout......A's tomboyish daughter and how the author portrays the struggle in the story perceived through the kids'innocent eyes. very endearing.

sundararaj
2nd December 2006, 03:51 PM
I too have seen this movie. His acting was great.

Tia
16th March 2007, 02:47 AM
This book is actually amazing!

Boo Radley scared the day lights outta me at the beginning...but then at the end :(

dont wanna give too much away hehe lolz

its soo gd!

its mainly on the racial segragation in America right? well...its based aroundd that....kinda like Roll of Thunder, Hear my cry...but To kill a mocking bird is from the whtie peoples eyes....ROTHMC is from the black peoples eyes...mmmmmmmm! awesome bks!

Janar
24th April 2007, 05:07 PM
I love the book. Atticus Finch is really a character I admire. Sensible, headstrong and supportive ,he is also a good father to his kid.

Ending was sad though. Guess the jury couldn't come to the fact that black men can be innocent too, as much as white women can be guilty

raagadevan
5th December 2007, 10:59 PM
http://www.hindu.com/lr/2007/12/02/stories/2007120250400400.htm

thilak4life
6th December 2007, 12:37 AM
It's a boring book IMO. Not worth my time, might not be yours as well, unless you're driven to pursue extrinsic inspiration from such like!

Sinthiya
7th December 2007, 08:45 AM
perhaps you will appreciate its inspirational theme, if you see Gregory Peck's performance in the movie, To Kill a Mocking Bird.....

i would like to read it again...:)

thilak4life
7th December 2007, 10:32 AM
Sinthiya,

I used to be a fan of the film. But come to think of it, I would never revisit the film again. It's a good film for sure. Peck's performance was good as well, he has that rigidness (not "stern", but the way he emotes, and carries himself) which suited Atticus.

P_R
7th December 2007, 11:13 AM
It's a boring book IMO. Not worth my time, might not be yours as well, unless you're driven to pursue extrinsic inspiration from such like! I read an excerpt during my college days. This is the sequence where Atticus shoots the mad dog. (it is flat and boring sequence in the film). In the novel it is extremely well written.

Nothing novel about the situation. Basically it is pretty much tihe same as the illiterate Tamil cinema hero amazing the world with his fluent English/Hindi. But the way it was presented was just beautiful. The way in which the children's perception of Atticus gets wider, never ever directly mentioned, is something that comes out very well. Nothing is told, everything happens and you move along with it. Really good writing.

thilak4life
7th December 2007, 11:23 AM
Really good writing.

I understand that. For that matter, I found Aryn Rand's books to be well written. But I found it to be less rewarding. One could very well say that I'm a slouch for books dwelling on existentialism and philosophy. It's not that I reject these books in an universal sense. I'm just saying you know :)

Sinthiya
8th December 2007, 09:04 AM
I used to be a fan of the film. But come to think of it, I would never revisit the film again. It's a good film for sure.
hmm...then again, we could never compare the book to the movie...there is so much more in the book...

... the way it was presented was just beautiful....Nothing is told, everything happens and you move along with it. Really good writing.
yes... :)

thilak4life
8th December 2007, 11:06 AM
we could never compare the book to the movie...there is so much more in the book...

OH, absolutely! But there are movie adaptations which opens up an extra dimension to the book. However, this isn't one..

raagadevan
4th June 2010, 02:28 AM
[tscii:72dfd9b939]
‘Mockingbird' soars this summer

http://www.hindu.com/fr/2010/06/04/stories/2010060451140100.htm[/tscii:72dfd9b939]

raagadevan
20th February 2016, 01:04 AM
Harper Lee, author of ‘To Kill a Mockingbird’, dies

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-35616011

Why is To Kill A Mockingbird so popular?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/8740693.stm

raagadevan
21st February 2016, 05:12 AM
Thank you, Harper Lee

http://www.thehindu.com/opinion/op-ed/thank-you-harper-lee/article8261988.ece?topicpage=true&topicId=2047