PDA

View Full Version : Hardwork vs Luck

Ilavenil
20th March 2005, 04:44 AM
Hi friends,

How far do you think hardwork, perseverance will lead a man to achieve what he wants?

Do you believe in something called "luck"? Is there something called "fate" which we frequently use, when we don't achieve what we deserve. I am not talking about people waiting for luck to play without doing anything.

Muyarchchi thiruvinai aguma? Where there is a will, there is a way- is it always true?

---Ilavenil

P_R
20th March 2005, 12:28 PM
Read this somewhere. I think it's by Oscar Wilde:

We all need to beleive in luck. How else would we explain the success of those we don't like !

Ilavenil
20th March 2005, 12:34 PM
That was a good one, Prabhu Ram.

nirosha sen
20th March 2005, 07:22 PM
When opportunity meets creativity, that's luck!! :D

So, be as creative as possible to get noticed, Pa!! :wink:

Badri
21st March 2005, 06:37 AM
I think Niro has said it well...with all your hard work, what if you don't get noticed? I am sure all of us know so many instances of sincere dedicated people who work so hard, yet seem to get so little in return!

Everyone who has "made it" has no doubt worked hard, yet they were also lucky enough to get a break when their hard work could make any difference to them.

guess you need both!

Cindy
21st March 2005, 06:52 AM
Badri,
You remind me of the good old Chandrababu's song...

Vetri Petra Manitharellam
Budhisaliyillai...
Budhisali Manitharellam
Vetri Kanpathillai...Vetri Kanpathillai...

But...hardwork will not go unnoticed always... even the angel of luck will be pleased if u are really ambitious and u really WORK for it... Take My Words...

And..is in't it better to call it Smart Work than Hard Work... Do you "smart" work sincerely, bring it to notice, get rewarded... instead wasting you energy...

Badri
21st March 2005, 06:55 AM
But Cindy, didnt you betray yourself when you said, the "angle of luck"?

dont you also agree then that the angel of luck has to smile upon you to get noticed? Yes, we must put in hard work, but if Dame Luck would not smile upon us, then,....

Cindy
21st March 2005, 06:56 AM
Read this somewhere. I think it's by Oscar Wilde:

We all need to beleive in luck. How else would we explain the success of those we don't like !

Prabhu .. that was a fantastic quote... :lol:

hehehewalrus
21st March 2005, 08:02 AM
topics like these keep us from working hard :lol2: :lol2:

Roshan
21st March 2005, 09:03 AM
badri and cindy.. you guys have reminded me of a question and answer of Kumudam arasu bathilgaL .. on LUCK. It's a nice one.

Q : athirshtam oru muRaithaan varumA?

A : illai ! iraNdaavathu muRaiyum varum. muthal athirshtaththai neengaL eppadi payanpaduthi irukkiReergaL ena paarpathaRku. sariyenil innum aLLi kodukkum.. illaiyenil mudhal athirshatathaiyum sErthu aLLikkoNdu pOyvidum. !!

Luck and opportunity are the same. It's just how you perceive it. I'm also reminded of a Balakumaran dialogue in the film 'Mugavari" - where Raguvaran says to Ajith "inga jeyichA luck-mbaanga.. thOthuttA 'makku'mbaanga. Very true indeed !!

Shekhar
21st March 2005, 09:53 AM
I have a few observation for you to ponder...

1. To presume that the 'reward' for hard work should be 'recognition' is perhaps wrong. A person who is working hard, may not even want recognition. Depends upon the person's philosphy.

2. I think we have to make a distinction between hard work and quality work. Mostly it is the quality work which gives you 'break' than hard work.

3. If the result of hard work is quality (which is not always the case) it is bound to attract attention at some point of time and the person shines. Because that point of time is unpredictable, we tend to call it luck.

4. A person who works hard aiming at excellence, obviously enjoys the work. The reward is the joy of realising the excellence in him, which boosts his self esteem. So he is rewarded during the work itself. Recognition is only a by product.

5. All people at the high echelons may not be hard workers, but all the hard quality workers invariably move towards higher echelons which ever field they are working in.

dr#
21st March 2005, 10:13 AM
it is said that genius is 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration.....i think we all make our own luck.

Ilavenil
23rd March 2005, 01:44 AM
If the result of hard work is quality (which is not always the case) it is bound to attract attention at some point of time and the person shines. Because that point of time is unpredictable, we tend to call it luck.

Hi Shekhar,

How do you comment on people who are not hard working, but are street smart and can do jobs which are appealing and are chosen over someone who is really hardworking and deserving? I happened to interview some people and when I read their resume, I found that people with same level of education and experience, had expressed it differently. Some people with poorer qualification were smart enough to write better resume, which appeared attractive. Since I actually knew how to differentiate it didn't matter.

Is being street smart more important than beeing hardworking? Does luck favour street smart more often than hardworking?

Any comment from anyone is most welcome.

Querida
23rd March 2005, 04:15 AM
well there is also ppl's perspective to consider, there has been many experiments done with the attributions in psychology

People are known to make internal attributions such as personal effort or external attributions such as uncontrollable environmental forces

for instance in a exam result situation:
if another did well it is mostly attributed to luck (external)
if you did well it is mostly attributed to personal effort (internal)

if another did poorly it is mostly attributed to laziness (internal)
if you did poorly it is mostly attributed to circumstance such as unfair exam (external)

therefore ppl are biased in using concepts such as luck and hard work..it may be both but mostly we see others luckier due to external forces and our 'luck' due to our perseverence

Ilavenil
23rd March 2005, 08:35 AM
Well said Querida. But what about people who fake to be hardworking?

Roshan
23rd March 2005, 08:37 AM
Well said Querida. But what about people who fake to be hardworking?

avargaL saayam konja naatkaLukkuthaan .. appuRam veLuthudum :lol:

Badri
23rd March 2005, 08:39 AM
Ennavo pa...Roshan konja naalaagave, sayam, veluppu, makeup nu orey paint vishayama pesaranga!

Querida
23rd March 2005, 09:18 AM
well Ilavenil does it really matter if people fake hard work...i know how fustrating it feels to those who feel like hard work is all we do....but faking it is never a fool-proof plan...it is just a plan for fools :wink:

Shekhar
23rd March 2005, 09:33 AM
Ilavenil,

I don't know how you define "street smart". It need not always suggest dishonesty or be used in negative sense. If someone can present what ever little he/she has got in an attractive manner, it is definitely an additional desirable quality.
Street smartness without solid stuff doesn't take you very far. The hollowness is bound to be exposed sooner than later.

But Hard work alone is not the tool to reach your goal. If hard work doesn't produce quality result, then one cannot expect success. Infact the labourers are the most hardworking, yet their condition is pathetic because they lack some essential quality to achieve excellence. If they have they will definitely rise above.
A carpenter may do a lot of hard work and produce very ordinary chairs. An other carpenter may use better tools, may borrow/copy artistic designs from elsewhere, and produce artistic chairs and earn many times more than the other carpenter apart from gaining fame.
Hard work is essential for success but doesnot ensure success without additional talent, like lateral intelligence, vision, conceptualisation etc.

Roshan
23rd March 2005, 09:42 AM
Street smartness without solid stuff doesn't take you very far. The hollowness is bound to be exposed sooner than later.

Yeah !! that's what I said in Tamil. It's so unfortunate you dont understand Tamil !! :cry:

PS: Querida has posted link for a translated Barathiyar kavithai in Ulagam thread. Why dont you go through it. I'm sure you'd enjoy ! :)

scorpio
23rd March 2005, 10:44 AM
Good post Shekhar!

Hard work or luck, the interpretation varies from everyone's perspective. For me, I am hardworking and hence I succeed, for others , may be I'm simply a lucky one to rise up in life. We many times also confuse between 'opportunity' and 'luck'. The premise to succeed is not only working hard, but also working 'smart'. Smart working doesn't mean dodging or faking, it requires strategy, planning, execution and management.

Ilavenil
23rd March 2005, 11:01 AM
Thanks to all of you for your wonderful condribution to this topic.

Badri
23rd March 2005, 11:13 AM
Scorpio wrote:

For me, I am hardworking and hence I succeed,

:lol: Yes, you work hard at the hub and at delegating.

On a serious note, Scorpio also said,
We many times also confuse between 'opportunity' and 'luck'.

That is true. Perhaps it is hardwork that brings us opportunity. Making use of the opportunity is street smartness, perhaps. What is the use of being a hardworking ass, if you dont recognize opportunity staring at you in your face? I know of a few such sorry souls. They simply fail to take the opportunity. Others on the other hand rarely do work, but seize the first wave and ride on it. They survive for a while, but in the end are left high and dry.

It is ultimately the ones that work hard, and are smart enough to seize the opportunity when it comes, and then conitnue to work hard that really succeed.

Roshan
23rd March 2005, 11:19 AM
[

ayyO naan nenechatha neenga appadiyE solliteenga !!
:lol:

scorpio
23rd March 2005, 11:19 AM
Scorpio wrote:

For me, I am hardworking and hence I succeed,

quote]

Badri, that is what is called Strategy ( get dumb work done by juniors), planning ( see what can be delegated and to whom), execution ( call for meetings and cascade down) and managemnt ( review what they have done). :lol:

scorpio
23rd March 2005, 11:21 AM
[

ayyO naan nenechatha neenga appadiyE solliteenga !!
:lol:

Roshan, Neengaluma??
Anyway, JG illatha kuraiyai nalla theerthu vekkareenga!

Badri
23rd March 2005, 11:22 AM
Fancy jargona alli veesu, Scorpio!

Managerku azagu fancy jarganil pesal

Roshan
23rd March 2005, 11:32 AM
Managerku azagu fancy jarganil pesal

sariyA sonneenga !!! 8)

oru padathula nagesh interview paNNuvaar - ungaLukku athu theriyumA , ithu theriyumAnnu ovvonnA kEkka - antha aaL (supposed to be the Manger of the company but Nagesh wouldn't know that ) illa illa -nu solluvaar. Then Nagesh would say 'onnumE theriyaathA.. appa Manager-A irukkathaan lAyakku" appadinnu :lol:

scorpio
23rd March 2005, 11:47 AM
Roshan,

Moral polees-aa irunthukittu ippadi chat pottu digress panna nallava irukku??

Roshan
23rd March 2005, 12:05 PM
aamA aamA - iLavEnil ippa adikka vara pORaanga.. no more digressions Pa :D :P