PDA

View Full Version : is there any diff between vegpulav and vegbiryani

rmykannan
18th March 2005, 11:29 PM
hi,
could any one post a good recipe for veg pulav and veg biryani..
is both same?

please advice.thanks.

dev
21st March 2005, 02:35 PM
nope,biriani is much spicier than pulav... try out the biriyani recipe posted in Dhaba recipes thread... it's good...

R
21st March 2005, 06:06 PM
Here is a couple of pulav recipes which I learnt from my SIL.

Coconut milk pulav or red pulav:

Basmathi Rice 1 cup
Onion 2
tomato 1
vegetables like carrot, beans, cauliflower 1 cup
ginger 2 tsp grated
garlic 3 flakes grated
coconut 1 full or coconut milk from can
dhania powder 2 tsp
red chilli powder 2 tsp
green chillies 2
garam masala 1 tsp
kesari powder/orange food color a pinch
raw spices like cloves, cardamom, bay leaves 1 or 2 each
cinnamon 1
salt, oil/ghee

Grind or grate ginger with garlic adding a little qty of water.

With 1/2 tsp of ghee, fry rice slightly, for a couple of mts and soak them in water for 5 to 10 mts.

Heat oil/ghee in a pan, add all the raw spices alongwith onion. Once the color changes into golden brown, add ginger garlic paste and saute well till the raw smell completely goes off. Add tomato alongwith the other vegetables, powders, mix them well. Cook for sometime. One the tomato has started mashing, add coconut milk and boil. When it starts boiling, add rice and salt. Cook them in cooker just like we do with rice.

Tasty pulav is now ready with an excellent flavor of coconut.

Tips: Instead of adding full coconut milk, you can add equal quantity of water with milk.

Chop all vegetables into lengthy pieces.

Similarly to the above, can substitute full with green chillies in the place of chilli powderwhich is called green pulav.

Just follow the same procedure and ingredients, but, omit, vegetables like tomato; include green peas (put carrot in minimum qty). Dont add kesari powder & red chilli powder.

For grinding, take 6 to 7 green chillies with 5 flakes of garlic alongwith half bunch of mint leaves. Ginger is optional.

Procedure :

Heat oil/ghee, add raw spices alongwith onion. Saute well and add the ground paste and fry well till you get a good flavor. Add all vegetables and cook them for 5 mts. Add coconut milk with salt. Once it starts boiling, add rice and cook.

Finally, garnish with fried bread.

rmykannan
21st March 2005, 09:37 PM
Hi R and Dev,
Thanks for the recipe . i will surely try that. im planning to use milk and water as u said instead of coconut milk. i will try and post it.

rmykannan.

R
22nd March 2005, 07:07 PM
Hi,

This briyani recipe where I got it from a magazine is my favorite one. Guess, you can substitute with vegetables too, though tried only with potato and peas.

Potato and green pea biryani

Ingredients:

Rice 2 cups
Onions, sliced 2
Ghee ¾ cup
Cardamom 6-8
Clove 6-8
Cinnamon a few sticks
Bay leaves a few
Black peppercorns 8-10
Garlic, chopped 6 cloves
Green chillies, chopped 2
Ginger, crushed ½ inch
Salt to taste
Large potatoes, peeled and cut into large pieces 3
Green peas ½ cup
Large tomato, chopped 1
Fresh coconut, grated 3 tbsps
A little yellow colour or saffron
Milk ½ cup
Sliced onions, golden fried ½ cup
Cashew nuts, fried a few

Method:

Fry the onions in a little ghee till golden brown. Add half the cardamom, clove, cinnamon, bay leaves, pepper, garlic, chillies and ginger. Fry for a minute. Then add one and a half cups of water and salt and boil. Now mix in the potato pieces, green peas and tomatoes. Cover and cook till done and a little gravy remains. Mix in the coconut.

Heat two tablespoons of ghee. Add the remaining spices and three cups of water. Add rice and salt and cook until done.

In a thick vessel, spread half the rice. Cover with potatoes and green peas with gravy. Spread the remaining rice over it. Cover the vessel with a wet cloth and a lid. Put on a slow gas and cook for 10 minutes. Heat the remaining ghee and pour over biryani. Garnish with golden fried onions and fried cashew nuts. Melt saffron in the milk and pour over the rice.

rmykannan
22nd March 2005, 10:56 PM
Hi,
i have a question what is peppercorns? is that black pepper(melaghu)..
in the last step u have mentioned spread half rice and cover with gravy. ie does it mean to mix the gravy on the rice or just place it above the rice.
thanks.

rmykannan
29th March 2005, 09:45 PM
Hi R,
i tried the red pulav. turned good. i used equal portions of milk and water. taste was good. thanks.

Can anyone please post a recipe for chinese fried rice...

thanks in advance.

Shoba
30th April 2005, 12:24 PM
R had posted a couple of recipes at:

http://forumhub.mayyam.com/hub/viewtopic.php?t=2649&highlight=pulav

I tried out the potato & green pea biriyani and it was really nice. I made a few alterations like instead of 3 potatoes, I used carrots and french beans. I suppose that would change the name of the biriyani itself!

Anyway, give this recipe a try, it's easy and tasty. Thanks for the recipe R!

Shoba

Nichiro
30th April 2005, 08:17 PM
[tscii:8e61aa6aa2]Friends,

A Japanese article on Rice gave the following detail about Pulao.
Quote,

"Pulao is a term originating in the Sanskrit word pulāka, meaning "a bowl of rice," and usually refers to rice boiled with seasonings or salt. Most pulao and biryani dishes are made with not just rice, but meat, vegetables and beans"

End Quote

Oryza Sativa in Latin which is name of Rice is thought to have been derived from Tamil word,
Arisi Sattu.

Nichiro[/tscii:8e61aa6aa2]

cooldude_123
1st May 2005, 11:39 AM
CLICK HERE TO GET THE RECIPES BY SANJEEV KAPOOR FOR FREE (http://www.earnmoneyindia.com/earn/idevaffiliate.php?id=935&page=14)