PDA

View Full Version : Picks Feb 05

Ramki
1st February 2005, 05:29 AM
Click on the link below for a list of songs in this thread:

Song List (http://www.forumhub.mayyam.com/hub/lyrsort.php?t=2537)

Next:

http://tfmpage.com/cgi-bin/stream.pl?url=http://raretfm.com/songs/kaav_mm.rm

Song: kaaviri thaiye kaaviri thaiye
Film: Mannadhi Mannan
Singer: Jamuna Rani
Lyrics: Kannadasan
Music : Viswanathan Ramamurthy

I never knew such a song existed until last year when i got hold of a CD with Nadodi Mannan/Mannadhai Mannan combo.
What intrigued me was Jamuna Rani,s singing. Never listened to a more soulful song by her.

Kannadasan lyrics is another highlight of the song.

karai purandodugirai manam urugaadho
en kaNNeerum serndhuvitaal karai udaiyadho
kaimaiyile ennai kalangavaippaiyo
karunai manamirangi vaazhavaippayo

(Looks like VM was inspired from the first 2 lines in 'kaadhal vandhaal solli anuppu')

VR tuned 8 fabulous songs for 'Mannadhi Mannan' including
1)aadatha manamum undo(TMS,MLV)
2)Neeyo naano yaar nilave(PS,JR,PBS)
3)accham enbadhu madamaiyadaa(TMS)
4)kalayodu kalandhadhu(MLV)
5)kaNiya kaNiya mazhalai(TMS,PS)
6)kaaduthazhaikka(PLeela,SCKrishnan) and
7)kaNgaL irandum (PS)

MM had MGR,Padmini,Anjalidevi in the lead. I'm not aware of other details. Those who have watched the film please post the situation of today's pick.

sathyakabali
1st February 2005, 06:08 AM
Ramki
Thanks for reminding this rare gem by JR.
There is one more song by JR&co in the film
"aadum mayilE azhagu nilAvE
vAdA malarE varuga"
The song kAviri thAyE is the last song when Anjalidevi goes in search of her husband MGR.

achcham enbathu is the title song.
MGR is the chola prince. meets the narththagi Chithra (Padmini) and is in love with her.

aadAtha manamum uNdO for MGR & Padmini. The only duet by TMS-MLV.

kaniya kaniya is a duet for MGR - Padmini.

Due to political reasons marriage is arranged between MGR and Anjalidevi the princess of the neighboring country.
aadum mayilE is the song when Anjali gets married.
Now comes the triangular love song "neeyO naanO yaar nilavE"

P.S.Veerappa is the villain who kidnaps Padmini. She sings "kaNgaL iraNdum enRu ummai kaNdu pEsumO". The music between tha saranams shows the fight between MGR and PSV.

When PSV forces Padmini to marry him she sings "kalaiyOdu kalanthathu uNmai". She escapes from him and lives as a sanyasini along the river banks of Cauvery.

Adi perukku festival is celebrated with the song "kaadu thazhaikka vachchAn'. MGR imagining Padmini in the middle of Cauvery just walks deep into the flowing river.

Now Anjali devi goes in search of her husband along the banks of Cauvery singing this song
kAviri thAyE kAviri thAyE
Jamunarani has done full justice to the emotions of Anjali searching for her life and soul.

Anjali too jumps into the flooding Kaviri when Padmini rescues and takes her to the hut.

Ramki
1st February 2005, 06:13 AM
sathyakabali,
Thanks for the details and Welcome to the thread. We need veterans like you to enrich us with excellent details.

madhu
1st February 2005, 07:30 AM
Hi Ramki! Sathyakka!

is there one more song ( a group song), introduction of Anjalidevi ?
I think Jamunarani and chorus.. (I forgot the beginning ???)

vel1970
1st February 2005, 12:08 PM
Mrs. Sathya kabali-yai sathyakka endru koopidum orE nabar namba naNbar Saravanan thaan. Madhu neenga Saravanan thaanE? unmaiya sollunga. Unga posting ellam apdiyE avardhu polavE irukku.

We all know that u can not be away frm tfmpage for so long. Welcome back thailavarE

rajeshkrv
1st February 2005, 12:16 PM
vel chandru is another saravanan( i meant in remembering the lyrics and songs) but not the same sara.

i personally have contacts with him

vel1970
1st February 2005, 12:20 PM
rajeshkrv, i mentioned abt madhu who is posting here. I don't know abt chandru.

but madhu posting - ellam apdiye sara posting polavE irukku. Achariyam thaan :o

rajeshkrv
1st February 2005, 01:03 PM
sorry read chandru as madhu

vel1970
1st February 2005, 02:45 PM
rkv, here raghu says that there is one chandru pouring songs over songs (lyrics) in dhool. Is that chandru you meant as madhu who is posting here. Yappa ore thala suthudhuppa. ethana jambawans inga?

Ramki
1st February 2005, 07:56 PM
Madhu,
no idea. indha padam paarthadhillai

Ramki
3rd February 2005, 05:32 AM
Next:

http://tfmpage.com/cgi-bin/stream.pl?url=http://raretfm.com/songs/ponv_ko.rm

Song: azhagiya ponveenaiye
Film: kaagidha odam
Singers: SNSurendar, Jolly Abraham
Lyrics: Vairamuthu
Music : Shankar Ganesh

SG duo, Deva of 70's , lifted this beautiful song from Tollywood. They must have been totally besotted with this song because this film has 3 versions of it (SPB,SNS-BSS and JA-BSS combo).
-'kaagidha odam' had NaLini, KRvijaya and iLavarasan. I have seen this movie long time back on Malaysian television and vaguely remember the story line. NaLini in love with iLavarasan ends up marrying someoneelse, who later dies in a car accident. KRvijaya, MIL of NaLini , comes to know about naLini's ex boyfriend and what she does to make NaLini marry iLavarasan forms the rest of the story. naLinis 'kaLvadiyum pookaL' had a similar storyline.
-There are couple more below average songs in this film. FM might remember them :lol:
- Vairamuthu has repeated his favorite lines
' un koondhalil poo vaikkira en nenjil thee vaikkiraai' :)
-Thanks to RC for sending this song.

RC
3rd February 2005, 10:10 AM
Ramki,

Isnt this JA-BSS version?

Are you sure about the story? I remember the cast as Prasath (Not Prasanth), Nalini, Ilavarasan. I'm not sure about KRV.
I watched the movie on my journey to Trichy from Chennai. The story, as I remember, is Nalini and Ilavarasan are in love during their college days; Prasath is aware of their love; Ilavarasan gets killed by the villains and Nalini is abused. Nalini remains unmarried; Prasath wants to marry her but she refuses; I fell asleep after this and so am not sure how this ends :(

Like you said FM should be able to give us the complete story :)

SN23
3rd February 2005, 01:21 PM
I think nalini acted as singer in this movie. There was KR Vijaya too in a special appearence role :(

BSS-SN duet was a great hit.

yvsmani
3rd February 2005, 06:38 PM
Ramki,
thanks for the two songs,
1) paniyil naniyum malargal irandu
2) aathaadi etho aasaigal

yet to listen.

paniyil nanaiyum songil pallavi is quite brilliant than saranam as written by u.

Around 3 songs were good in Love. In saathiyaa both SPB and chithra were quite good compared to mano, chithra in tamil.

another request Ramki,
if possible pls upload this song in POW :
paaduthu paaduthu pattu ponmalai saaralin kaatru from anbu sangili ( prabhu, revathi starrer)

From Mars
3rd February 2005, 08:34 PM
Ramki :lol:

Cast, Nalini, prasath, ilavarasan, KRV. they were all students and prasath had an eye for Nalini. When they went out for a college picnic, prasath wrote this song as a poem. Ilavarasan is a friend of prasath, steals this poem and sang as a song (happy version). Then nalini started loving ilavarasan and got engaged him as well. They went for a picnic stayed in a place where nalini was raped and iLavarasan was killed. Then nalini leaves the place. This song takes place when nalini and prasath meets again in some wedding after few years.

Ofcourse I watched this movie, because of this song. :)
Another movie that I had watched for songs is 'yaaro azhaikiraarkaL', simply it is atrocious :) Young raguvaran with guitar :)
ithu wedding ila paadura paataa ithu? I liked the happy version though :)

the other songs that I remember:
pon veenaiyE ennOdu (Happy)
sottuthamma neer sottuthamma (MV, ??)

RC
3rd February 2005, 09:16 PM
FM: KRV-m college student-aa? :o
appadiye yaaro azhaikkiraargaL kadhayum sollungaLen :)

From Mars
3rd February 2005, 09:43 PM
RC :lol:

yaaro azhikiraarkaL kadhai maranthu pOchu :) paatu scene maathiram gnapagam irukku :)
popular songs :)
1. paal nilavu kaainthathE (JC)
2. indha iravil naan paadum (JC)

not so popular
1. unnai unnai thaanE (KJY, Latha kannan)

kiru
4th February 2005, 01:01 AM
Thanks ramki.

(This is re: paniyil nanaiyum from priya oh priya )

I think the song is worth for its pallavi alone. Listen how the tune is taken up by the strings section. The vocals give a sensuous touch, but the strings seem to express the 'rush of feelings' inside. The orchestration goes through a sudden shift in the interludes. Maybe to reflect something in the picturisation. The ending of the song is a 'humming' counterpoint similar to 'ninaivo oru paravai'.
Mano,chitra are ok, though the original is miles ahead.

RR, fantastic description of the song, but you did not mention about my favorite instrument - bass guitar. The whole song is full of counterpoints (mainly the bass line). The song uses a favorite technique of IR, when the string/vocals are ascending, the bass descends. The 'straight' bass fills in the pallavi are replaced by the much 'twisty' flute fills in the charanams. The ending is actually a repetition of the motif, used througout the song, starting from the prelude.

BTW, this song must be in a oft-repeated raagam of IR, seems too familiar. Also the beginning humming of SPB (yeah, I listened to the kannada version) reminds me of 'nandha nee en nilA'.

The Mano/Chitra version is very bad (lets call a spade a spade). It feel like it is a few BPM's less than the kannada version. Maybe, the slightly different arrangment (I think less number of instruments) and less clarity in the recording does not help either (even though the bass lines are more prominent in the tamil version).

Ramki
4th February 2005, 04:55 AM
RC,FM- thanks for the correction. As i said i saw it long timeback and i have only vague memories of the film :)

yvsMani i dont think i have that song :oops:

Ramki
4th February 2005, 05:24 AM
Next:

http://tfmpage.com/cgi-bin/stream.pl?url=http://raretfm.com/songs/mouna_ko.rm

Song: mouna raagam maNa veenai
Film: kolangaL
Singer: SJanaki
Lyrics: Vaali
Music : iLaiyaraja

This is a beautiful solo by SJ. I have seen this film but do not remember watching this song.
kolangaL must be the last venture by IVSasi in kodambakkam. It was an above average film with good performances by Jairam and Kushboo.
There were 4 songs but i only remember 3 of them
'oru kootil'(Mano, Devi),
'ullaasa poongaatre'(Chitra) and todays pick.
There was one more duet by Mano and Sjanaki.

jn
5th February 2005, 05:23 AM
ramki: good one by SJ.
Is the other duet "naethu paathaale eppa paappaa
ninaichi paathaale appo pappaa"
..something like this? by mano and SJ?

Nitya
5th February 2005, 07:41 AM
Kolangal also had 'Therkke Veesum Thendral Mandram' sung by Arunmozhi and Lekha.

RR
5th February 2005, 11:15 AM
Nitya, isn't this in some rare ragam.. Lavantipriya?

Ramki
5th February 2005, 08:01 PM
jn yes:) That song has some weird lyrics like 'gandhi thaatha jeans potta'

Thanks Nitya

Nitya
6th February 2005, 01:05 AM
Yes, RR. It is set to Laavanthipriya, which is the same as Karnataka Sudhasaveri, with the following raga lakshanam:

s r1 m1 p d1 S
S d1 p m1 r1 s

Ramki
6th February 2005, 03:33 AM
Next:

http://tfmpage.com/cgi-bin/stream.pl?url=http://raretfm.com/songs/kath_pvt.rm

Song: kathiravanai paarthu
Film: pookaL vidum thoodhu
Singer: KJYesudoss
Lyrics: TRajendar
Music : TRajendar

-Thanks to Anand Ramalingam for requesting this song.

One of the best songs of TR. I think PVT is his first 'outside' film .
PVT was the debut tamil film for Late Monisha, Harish and the director Sridhar Rajan(GG's husband).
This film didnt do well. Storyline anyone?
Other good song from this film 'moongil kaatoram kuzhalin naadham'. There was also a duet by SPB, KSC.

balaji
6th February 2005, 04:50 AM
Ramki

Shouldn't "Kilizhangal" (1982 Mohan/Poornima J/Durai -- Vizhigal Oonjalai..) be the first "outside" film for TR?

Thanks for one of TR's Melodies

Bala

Ramki
6th February 2005, 04:58 AM
Balaji,
Thanks for the correction. 'kiLinjalgaL' must be his first outside film.

RC
6th February 2005, 06:23 AM
Its a triangle love story. On a trip to various temples, Grandma and Monisha spot Harish, a poor guy and bring them home. Monisha falls in love with Harish. It turns out that Monisha is actually a servant maid and the grand daughter too falls in love with Harish. After reels and reels, I think, Harish (and Monisha?) commit suicide.

Its a remake of a malayalam movie for which Monisha got an award (National?). I'm not sure if the movie's name is NahakshathangaL or not.

vazhakkam pOla ellam therinja FM-ku muzhu kadhai therinjirukkum-nu ninaikkiren :)

Ramki
6th February 2005, 07:16 PM
RC FMkku equalla neengaLum kalakkareenga:)) you are correct its a remake of NakakshathangaL. chitra also got her first national award for this film

From Mars
7th February 2005, 05:44 AM
RC :)
enaku theriyaathuppa :) aanaa neenga sonna plot sari thaan, monisha commit suicide, aanaa hero pathi theriyaathu :)

moongil kaatrOam, three version irukku.

onnu sad, onnu duet, onnu solo

RC
7th February 2005, 09:07 AM
naan paatha pada paata pottu enakku edhiraa inga edhuna sadhi nadakkudhaa? :)

Ramki
8th February 2005, 04:22 AM
Next:

http://tfmpage.com/cgi-bin/stream.pl?url=http://raretfm.com/songs/maada_imai.rm

Song: maadapuraavo illai manjaL nilaavo
Film: imaigaL
Singers: PSuseela, Malaysia Vasudevan
Music : Gangai Amaran

This is a breezy duet by GA with lots of IR touches. A popular one in mid 80's but slowly faded from the memories of Radio jockeys. Also PS-MV is quite a rare combo as they have sung very few songs together.
I have not watched 'imaigaL' but i think Sivaji(no jodi for sivaji) played a Muslim 'bhai' who later 'adopts' damsel in distress, hindu 'thangachi' saritha. Saritha's husband (jaiganesh/vijayakumar?) is ofcourse the evil villain. I believe in the climax, saritha kills sivaji to save her thaali :). Well this is what i remember from the reviews i read.
The only saving grace would have been this song and not watching sivaji frolicking with teenage heroines.

Were there other good songs in 'imaigaL'?

rajeshkrv
8th February 2005, 09:08 AM
It's saratbabu who played as Saritha's husband.

This is the first song of MV for Shivaji and then he continued this trend of imitating TMS for Shivaji.

A nice Duet by PS & MV - PS sings with perfection
a gr8 lullaby

thanks ramki for this wonderful song

this film had no other heroine for shivaji .. (God saved us)

RC
8th February 2005, 09:15 AM
I think the husband is SarathBabu. I dont think he's the evil husband. For a change, I havent watched this movie but the story line is on those lines ( thanks to the review)

suri
8th February 2005, 01:48 PM
madapurovo(imaigal) was written by pulamaipitthan

Ramki
8th February 2005, 06:06 PM
Thanks rkrv,RC, Suri

Ramki
9th February 2005, 05:31 AM
Next:

http://tfmpage.com/cgi-bin/stream.pl?url=http://raretfm.com/songs/endhan_ovu.rm

Song: endhan poovanathil indru vasantham
Film: oru vaarisu uruvaagiradhu
Singer: SPB
Music : MSV

-mouLi directed the movie version of his drama 'oru varisu uruvaagiradhu' but couldnt create the same interest as the drama did(which had MouLi and ManiMala). After meeting a series of failures(vaa indha pakkam, nandri meendum varuga,oru pullankuzhal adupoodhigiradhu, aNNe aNNe) he made one last attempt with OVU before completely migrating to Tollywood.
OVU had Prathap, Sripriya, charuhasan, Ramji, Jaishankar, sumalatha etc. The story is about a poor father who gives the very best to his only son but gets back nothing from him in return. Todays pick is a dream sequence. Prathap dreams this song after winning boxes of soaps from a trade fair.

RR
9th February 2005, 02:25 PM
I think SPB enlivens this rather simplistic tune by MSV. VM's lines

en poovaanathil indru vasantham
malare malare thoongaathe..

and

vaanavil vandhu boomiyil irangum
jannalin kambikku vannangal poosum..

are good.

Second charanathula 'son' school-ukku pordhu,kalyanam (incl. suhaag raat),etc and up to 'grandson' konjara varaikkum poittaar.

BTW, wasn't 'aNNe aNNe' a hit? It was thoroughly enjoyable - mouLi at his best. Sumitra ethukkume convince aagaama 'pachai kuthirai' thaanduratha vachu husband-nu confirm panradhu was hilarious.. :D

rajeshkrv
9th February 2005, 04:17 PM
yes anne anne was enjoyable..

that "Akka payyan" dialouge was fun..

RC
9th February 2005, 08:25 PM
I think oru pullankuzhal aduppu oothukiradhu was much more enjoyable.

Ramki
9th February 2005, 10:23 PM
Second charanathula 'son' school-ukku pordhu,kalyanam (incl. suhaag raat),etc and up to 'grandson' konjara varaikkum poittaar.

actress uma(vaa indha pakkam fame) appears in this dream scene as Prataps daughter in law :)

RR- 'aNNe aNNe' flopped badly. Was IR the MD for AA?

RC i agreee OPA is a better MouLi film

Music4Ever
9th February 2005, 11:01 PM
Ramki, its been ages since I listened to this song that I had completely forgotten about it, until you brought it out here. Good job. Haven't lsitened to it yet though. :D

madhu
9th February 2005, 11:44 PM
Ramki !

thanks ! thanks!
U brought back the memories of the nice days !

ini ennasanam oru simhasanam !

Ramki
10th February 2005, 04:57 AM
Didnt realise there are so many fans for this song :)

Ramki
10th February 2005, 05:45 AM
Next:

http://tfmpage.com/cgi-bin/stream.pl?url=http://raretfm.com/songs/kanna_ap.rm

Song: kaNNanukku kobam enne
Film: AnnaPoorani
Singers: PSuseela, KJYesudoss
Music : VKumar

Im not sure if todays pick is a case of inspiration or an example of 'songs with same meter' , but the pallavi of 'kaNNanukku' can be easily replaced by the pallavi of 'kannan oru kai kuzhandhai'(badhrakaaLi). Using the same singers makes it more similar. Also VKumar is known for finetuning his inspirations(i will upload few more of his songs in this category).
'aNNapoorani' had KRVijaya, Muthuraman,cho, Manorama, srikanth etc. I think the story dealt on ego clashes between a Collector/Mayor wife and her chauffeur husband(typical KRV movie). But Cho's comedy was really popular and its still making rounds in tv channels.
Another listenable song from AP 'unnai paarak vendum pesa vendum'(KJY)

Todays pick was popular in late 70s and early 80s. For many years I remembered only the first line of first charanam(ammamma adhigaaram ellam un kaiyile). When Hari started a thread on Vkumar songs, i had asked for this song and SathyaKabali came to my rescue.
Here are the links :)

http://tfmpage.com/forum/26391.22043.17.57.10.html
http://www.tfmpage.com/forum/9559.22043.17.57.10.html

madhu
10th February 2005, 07:41 AM
Hi Ramki!

Though PS is cool as usual here, KJY is not in his full form !! ( of course, it is my opinion !)..
there is one more song .. "aiyirandu thingalilae" by PS, which was always the last song (almost thrice in a week) in "Thenkinnam" of Vivid Bharathi on those days !!

sathyakabali
10th February 2005, 08:33 AM
madhu
I was about to mention that thAlAttu "iyiraNdu thingaLilE piLLai enRu vanthavanE". nee munthi vittAy! This song is featured frequently in Jaya TV Thenkinnam.

Ramki
Those links brought back old memories.
antha naaL njAbagam nenjilE vanthathE :)

balaji
10th February 2005, 08:39 AM
Ramki

Thanks for the 'Enhan Poovanathil Song". Well liked by me those days, however lost in midst of IR wave.

STill Vividh Bharthi used to play this song often...

Annapoorani reminds of the Likeable Kadha Kalatchebam by CHo, which was a rave in one of our class functions, when my friend and I tried to repeat that. "anbale thediya enu arumai selvam Onan (instead of Thangam) used to bring special laughter from class mates and teachers

Thanks

Bala

Bala

rajeshkrv
10th February 2005, 09:00 AM
A Great Song !!
V.Kumar one of the best Melody makers.

Vaali-VKumar -PS steal the show.

thanks for the song

SN23
10th February 2005, 10:10 AM
kannanukku kobam enna song has the shades of kangalal nAn varaindhen as well as unnidam mayangugiren. All 3 songs have Jesudas as male singer. But a nice melody.

Satya, I also saw the song Aiyirandu thingalile in jaya TV. KR Vijaya ulukku ulukku endru andha thooLiya pOttu Attuvanga. Kozhandha eppidi thoongum :) Also saw the Cho' kAlatshebham scene. Real comedy it is :)

Satya, oru kelvi. There was a film called gouri. Same KR Vijaya acted with K.balaji. jaigenesh was KR V's ex-lover but she married KB. The story was line with Chithi (padmini, MR radha, gemini). Do you remember one thalattu song by PS in that movie. MD is SG, I thin k.

Ramki
10th February 2005, 06:07 PM
Madhu, SathyaKabali thanks for reminding 'aiyirandu thingaLile' (and vividhbharathis thenkinnam :)

Balaji i too like Cho's kathakaalatshebam. Pity we do not have such talented(and brilliant) comedians now.

jn
10th February 2005, 09:14 PM
Thanks ramki. Good song. It used to be in ceylon radio almost every day in those good old days.

From Mars
11th February 2005, 03:44 AM
athu thaanE paarthEn, engE jnai innum kaanOm endru? :)

Ramki
11th February 2005, 05:20 AM
Next:

http://tfmpage.com/cgi-bin/stream.pl?url=http://raretfm.com/songs/ilan_uv.rm

Song: iLancholai poothadhaal
Film: unakaagave vaazhgiren

This is my favorite SPB solo. I know its not a rare one but still its worth listening again(and many times).

Classical raaga thread says this song is based on 'madhuvanthi' raagam.
'unakkagave vaazhgiren' , remake of Malyalam 'shyama'(Mammooty, Nadhiya) , had Sivakumar,Nadhiya,Menaka and Suresh. The film was quite good(except for the climax) and had some very good numbers by IR.
'kaNNa unnai thedugiren vaa'(SPB,SJ)
'oh endhan vaazhvile or vennillaa'(SJ)
'kaNgaL something something :) ' (MV,SJ)

The story is about a MD(Sivakumar) who, after losing his wife(Menaka), comes to Ooty . He meets a danceuse (Nadhiya) who has stopped dancing after losing her fiance(Suresh) in an accident, . Friendhsip and then Love blossoms between the two. But Sivakumar later learns that he was the one who killed Suresh. Then after all the requisite melodrama ,tears and fights the lovers live happily forever.

This thread gives the musical notes for this song

http://www.tfmpage.com/notes/ir/ila_uv.txt

RC
11th February 2005, 05:25 AM
kaNNa unai thedukiren vaa is a very nice melody from this movie. SPB & SJ simply excel on this one.

madhu
11th February 2005, 08:06 AM
Hi !

nice song ! but visually u hv to adjust urself for the bharatanatyam dance of Nadiya ( though she tries her best !! -better than many other actresses, of course ) !!

RR
11th February 2005, 08:12 AM
Great song. One of my favorite SPB solos too.. I think it's more of Dharmavathi than Madhuvanti.. Same for the earlier POW - 'natarajan kudi konda', which a more detailed one..

Ramki
11th February 2005, 06:46 PM
Madhu i agree :lol: . I read somewhere she is a professional bharathanatyam dancer :)

RR i thought Madhuvanthi is hindustani name for Dharmavathi?

RR
11th February 2005, 07:24 PM
Ramki, they are counterparts. Counterparts are often not identical, like sriranjani & bageshri. In TFM, I think 'ennullil engo' and 'kanaakaanum kaalangal' come close to Madhuvanti.. I mean, acc.to my kelvi gyanam :D

From Mars
11th February 2005, 08:02 PM
RAmki :)

eppO music padikka aarambicheenga? :)

there is one more song in UV: sElai mEla vEnumaa indha nERam thaan.. (SPB)

RC
11th February 2005, 09:35 PM
FM: adhu
vera vela odumaa indha neram thaan
sela vera venumaa romba baaram thaan

From Mars
11th February 2005, 10:53 PM
RC Thanks.

Ramki
12th February 2005, 04:32 AM
RR thanks :)

MV-SJ song is 'kangaL rendum sandham sonnadhu..maalaiyanadhe'

Ramki
12th February 2005, 05:21 AM
Next:

http://tfmpage.com/cgi-bin/stream.pl?url=http://raretfm.com/songs/thai_sm.rm

Song: thaiye shankari
Film: shyamala
Singer: SVaralakshmi, Sarojini
Lyrics: G S Roya Sundaram
Music : GRamanathan

Todays pick is a good, but unpopular song from MKTB's 'shyamala'. I have no clue about other actors (SVaralakshmi might have acted :roll: . Other notable songs

raajan maharajan
en jeeva priye Shyamala
yaarange nenjam nee ariyai .

I believe there were 2 Sarojinis in TFM, M.S.Sarojini and RSarojini. One of them sang 'ondru serndha anbu maaruma'with PBS in 'maKKaLai petra maharasi'.I'm not sure if she is the one who sang todays pick.

I hope old song 'priyars' will like todays selection :)

madhu
12th February 2005, 07:56 AM
Hi Ramk!

I never heard this one before ! But its really good one ! Thanks for this g(old)en song !

rajraj
12th February 2005, 08:45 AM
Ramki: rajan maharajan was the most popular song from that movie. Lyrics by Natarajasundaram and Kambadasan.
Cast: MKT, S.Varalakshmi and Relanki

Nice song ( limited to about 3 minutes for 78 RPM records! )

RR
12th February 2005, 09:13 AM
Nice one.. Listening to Sarojini's singing, even the best of today's crop of singers pale in comparision. How effortless.. 'paattu ready-a, enge mike, ok.. indha record pannikka'-nu sollittu paadna maari irukku 8) I love that 'kuzhaivu' after the 'dhayai purivaai' line..
Raj, I think we need your help to undetstand the lyrics :)
As for the ragam, it's Suddha saveri but it changes later in the song..

rajraj
12th February 2005, 09:20 AM
RR: It is a ragamaliga! I will try to decode the lyrics( after all coding was my specialty) ! :)

RR
12th February 2005, 09:47 AM
Raj: Thanks :) what are the other ragas?

Ramki
12th February 2005, 07:38 PM
Raj,
The CD cover i got this song from, says the lyricist is G S Roya Sundaram . But the CD covers are not always trustable:)

RR
12th February 2005, 08:19 PM
Didn't notice before. 'Roya' sundaram - top contender for achuppizhai.. :lol:

From Mars
12th February 2005, 09:06 PM
vara vara Ramki sariyillai :)

RR
13th February 2005, 07:12 AM
FM: Ramki enna panaar, MKT kaala paatta(vathi)i pottadha solreengalaa? illai Roya vishayathai solreengalaa.. For all we know about that age, the name sounds quite genuine :D

madhu
13th February 2005, 08:07 AM
Hi F~M !

ippo mars-la enna age nadakkudhu ? :lol:

Ramki
14th February 2005, 07:18 AM
Next:

http://tfmpage.com/cgi-bin/stream.pl?url=http://raretfm.com/songs/pona_oj.rm

Song: ponadhe iLam maali pozhudhu
Film: oomai janangaL
Singer: KJYesudoss
Lyrics:
Music : Gangai Amaran

This is a long forgotten 'must' listen KYJ solo. I have totally forgotten this song until last week when Jayatv showed this film The film had KBakyaraj, preetha jayabharathi, sarathbabu,chandrasekhar and uma. Screenplay was by Prapanjan and Jayabharathi is the director(The heroine is either his wife or daughter). This song was picturised on Bakyaraj and Preetha.
Title credits showed 3 lyricists Thanigai selvan, Sokkar, Semmalar selvan
I'm not sure which one wrote this beautiful song.

RR
14th February 2005, 07:30 AM
wow.. metoo almost forgotten. KJY at his best. Isn't it 'unadhe ilam maalaip pozhudhu'?

Is this Jayabharathi a different one, not the actress?

Ramki
14th February 2005, 07:35 AM
RR i dont think actress jayabharathi directed a tamil film and the heroine is called preetha jayabharathi, which made me assume its a guy.
'unadhe' or 'ponadhe'..unadhe sounds more situational but it sounds(ed) ponadhe to me :)

madhu
14th February 2005, 07:44 AM
HI !

is it that guy, Jayabharathi who is the author or "iraNdu pEr vAnathai pArkiRArgaL"? ( enakku onnumae puriyalai ... but the song is nice!)

RC
14th February 2005, 08:07 AM
I'm sure its a He. Isnt Agrahaarathil kazhudhai or another art film also by Jayabharathi?

Nitya
14th February 2005, 08:08 AM
I am now hearing 'Thaaye Shankari'. The first raaga is definitely Sudhasaveri. With an overall attractive scale, Sudhasaveri raagam when played usually enchants, and here is no exception. At first I thought that the first Sudhasaveri based film song ever in TFM was 'Koyil Maniyosai Kettathaaro', so this song came as a pleasant surprise. I couldn't say for sure what the second raaga sounds like Saalaga Bhairavi. The third raaga sounds like Hamsanaadham. Super.

Nitya
14th February 2005, 08:10 AM
I am now hearing 'Thaaye Shankari'. The first raaga is definitely Sudhasaveri. With an overall attractive scale, Sudhasaveri raagam when played usually enchants, and here is no exception. At first I thought that the first Sudhasaveri based film song ever in TFM was 'Koyil Maniyosai Kettathaaro', so this song came as a pleasant surprise. I couldn't say for sure what the second raaga sounds like Saalaga Bhairavi. The third raaga sounds like Hamsanaadham. Super. [/quote]

Sorry. Typo. I meant to say, I couldn't say for sure but the second raaga sounds like Saalaga Bhairavi.

RR
14th February 2005, 08:55 AM
Nitya, have you heard 'raajan maharaajan' from the same film (shyamala). Great one. Once you've heard the MKT generation, I hope you won't claim IR was the one to introduce 'this and that' raga in TFM (barring a few). :)

rajdes
14th February 2005, 01:01 PM
Jayabharathi did Kudisai and Marupakkam(NA for Sivakumar or the movie itself)

From Mars
14th February 2005, 07:57 PM
ithukku peyar thaan paadavathi :) I have never listened this before.

Doesn't it sound close to some other song? I can't recollect, I'm loosing my memory due to to nature of work :)

RR
14th February 2005, 08:19 PM
No, FM. For your standards, this is a reasonably popular one.. :D

BTW, I hear some strange sounds in the song.. Maybe Ramki can throw some light? ;)

From Mars
14th February 2005, 09:03 PM
Today is VD, So Ramki might be .......... :)

BTW, RR what are you doing at this time :roll:

Ramki
15th February 2005, 03:28 AM
RR bg noises are part of the 'package' :)

Ramki
15th February 2005, 03:42 AM
Next:

http://tfmpage.com/cgi-bin/stream.pl?url=http://raretfm.com/songs/kala_mm.rm

Song: kala mangaiyo
Film: Maaya Mani
Singer: PBSrinivas
Lyrics: Kannadasan?
Music : Laxmikant pyarelal

Thanks to NOV for sharing the movie details
http://forumhub.lunarpages.com/hub/viewlite.php?t=1560

Oli played this song couple of weeks ago. I was asking around and JN had this song with her. Thanks to JN now i have a copy of this gem with me :)

Details on Paras Mani(oringial of MM)

http://www.rajshri.com/parasmani.html
http://www.ultraindia.com/movies/filmography/filmography.php?choice=1&na=PARASMANI

Looks like Geethanjali seen in great songs like 'ninaithaal podhum paaduven' ,'kannan maNanilaiyai' etc is the heroine of this film.
Im not sure if MM was a remake or dubbing verison of PM.
Knowledgable people can ofcourse,always share the details with rest of us.
Madhu do you know other songs from this film other than the 2 listed in 'unearthing' thread?

jn
15th February 2005, 04:28 AM
Ramki:) No problem.
PBS appadiye layichi paadirukkaar:)

sathyakabali
15th February 2005, 04:44 AM
Ramki
a forgotten gem by PBS.
Mayamani is the dubbed version of Parasmani.
These are the details of Parasmani (Hindi) 1963.

Replete with dance, music and special effects, heavily inspired by the Arabian Nights, this black and white fantasy-film is notable for being Laxmikant - Pyarelal’s debut film. The movie stars Manohar Desai and Nalini Chonkar. Many thrilling adventures fill this saga of a noble youth, who was abandoned by his father in childhood. He grows up and wins the love of a beautiful princess. The only condition to his marrying her is that he has to bring back the legendary Parasmani diamond, which belongs to an evil witch-queen. Great soundtrack includes ‘Uyi Ma Uyi Ma Ye Kya Hogaya’, ‘Hasta Hua Noorani Chehra’, ‘Vo Jab Yaad Aaye’ and ‘Roshan Tumhi Se Duniya’.

starring Manohar Desai, Nalini Chonkar,Geetanjali,Ajit Soni.
Story by Vishwanath pande
Cinematography:Peter pereira
Lyrics:Asid bhopali
MD:lashmikant pyarelal.

Songs:
Chori Chori Jo Tumse Mili To Log Kya
Hanstha Huva Noorani Chehra Kali Julphen
Mere Dil Me Halki Si Vo Kalish Hai
Roshan Tumhi Se Duniya Raunak
Uyi Ma Uyi Ma Ye Kya Ho Gaya Unki Gali
Vo Jab Yaad Aaye Bahuth Yaad Aaye

sathyakabali
15th February 2005, 05:15 AM
Laxmikant and Pyarelal got an opportunity for the first time to give music independently in the film Parasmani directed by Babubhai Mistry in 1963. Though technically they had given music to 5 films before Parasmani, all these 5 films either got shelved or were never released in theaters! This was because all the 5 were B-graders and had tendencies to run into financial and post-production problems. Since the earlier films were never released, LP faced a lot of flak from within the industry. Certain directors and well known lyricists were not ready to work with them at that time. LP though unhappy about it were undeterred by the same. Music was not compromised on at any cost! On the contrary, it is a well established fact that in spite of the films' financial constraints, LP at their own expense got their tunes sung only from the best( Grade 1 singers).

LP records stated the music director's name as Laxmikant-Pyarelal mistook by many at that time to be a single person.

The rhythmic music given by LP for Babubhai Mistry's B-Grader mythological film Parasmani became immensely popular. Songs like Hastaa Hua Nurani Chehera, Wo Jab Yaad Aaye, Mere Dil Mein Halki Si from this film are hummed by people 40 years later even to this day.

It was the film Parasmani that gave them their first brake in 1963. The Lata Mangeshkar-Kamal Barot duet 'Hansta hua noorani chehra' remained steadfast at the no.1 position of Binaca Geet Mala for weeks. It was the beginning of duo's long-lasting and extremely rewarding association with Lata Mangeshkar.

Here is a link for Parasmani songs
http://www.raaga.com/channels/hindi/movie/H000581.html

Ramki
15th February 2005, 06:18 AM
Sathyakabali,
Thanks for all the details

madhu
15th February 2005, 07:51 AM
HI !

"uyi ma uyi ma kya ho gaya" is "kaviri karaiyin thottathilae" in tamil.
But I dont think it is in Mayamani.

RR
15th February 2005, 08:50 AM
Ramki,sathyakabali: is it possible to get the tamil version of 'woh jab yaad aaye' (my favorite in this album)?

madhu, musicindiaonline also has that song: http://www.musicindiaonline.com/l/17/m/producer.835/
But no idea about tamil version.

Incidentally you can also listen to 'salamat raho' - kalaa mangaiyo original, here. Interesting to compare.. Both shine in their own light.

balaji
15th February 2005, 06:42 PM
SK

Digression
Thanks for the Parasmani details. I believe they received their first film fare award (which meant a lot those days, I think -- this is from what I used to overhear from my older brothers and uncles)

In spite of the Burman wave, LP were able to position themselves well thanks to their strength in classical tunes and folk music. Though not my favorites, still they have given wonderful music in Sargam, Hero, AAA, Daag and Budda Mil Gaya and ofcourse their first-best Parasmani and spanned for more than 3 decades. I believed they followed SJ style of orchestration and tune makeing. In the later years there was more trash than good music, with Tezaab and the Rekha-starrer (produced by Shammi) being exceptions

Thanks to sk once again

NOV
15th February 2005, 07:27 PM
Ramki & JN, thanks for the lovely song.
aahhh. such nostalgic memories .... when radio 6 went on air from 5.30 am to 6.15 am only and then later again in the afternoon and night, sharing the airwaves with Chinese station.

can u imagine this song n the early hours?!

Ramki
16th February 2005, 05:11 AM
Next:

http://tfmpage.com/stream/songs/maal_vov.rm

Song: maalaiyile therkku moolaiyile
Film: vaasalil oru vennilaa
Singers: SPB,Chitra
Music : Deva

In vividhbharathis 'sirappu thenkinnam' SPB mentioned that today's pick is one of his 2 favorite songs in Devas music(Other being 'kaakai siraginile' from purusha lakshanam).
This song was popular when the film was released. I remember listening to it for several weeks in Madras A's 'putham pudhu paadalgaL'(sunday 4pm).
'Vaasalil oru vennilaa' was Amala's last tamil film. NizhalgaL Ravi(or Raja?) and Baby shaamilee are other actors.
Other good songs from this film
'raaja magaL indha chinnaraani thaan'(SJ for shaamilee) and
'en ooru madhure pakkam'(KJY)

Thread on Deva
http://tfmpage.com/forum/15194.9416.17:52:40.html

balaji
16th February 2005, 07:55 AM
Ramki

Even legends have poor tates some times. SPb's liking of the song just proves that.

After listening to this song a couple of times, I cannot appreciate one single thing in this song. SOrry, that is not absolutely correct as SPb's voice is as sweet as they are in his best songs..

Just an amalgam of so many IR's 80s songs.

Sj's song 'Raaja Magal' IMHO is a far better song

Bala

Ramki
16th February 2005, 06:11 PM
Balaji
I'm sorry you didnt like the song . IMO this song is not at all bad.
I dont see resemblance to any IR song. Could you tell me which IR song(s) you were referring to?

NOV
16th February 2005, 06:22 PM
Ramki, I am still lost in kalaa mangaiyooo.... have looped the song and listening continuously. thanks thanks thanks... oops. must stop looping. :D

sigh. if only I could save this song to listen offline...

balaji
16th February 2005, 06:53 PM
Ramki

Please forgive my comment earlier.

I really appreciate the service you are doing and request you to continue your sevice in uploading rare songs..

Anyways, I am unable to pinpoint any one song, Just seems to me as a mix of many songs. This is purely IMHO..

Thanks and please do continue. I was just suprised that SPB would have singled out this song.

Thanks
Bala

RR
16th February 2005, 07:02 PM
Metoo thiks this is above avg stuff from Deva. I like it better than the solayamma song.

Ramki
16th February 2005, 10:14 PM
Balaji , you just stated your opinion ..no need for apologies for voicing your views. In fact such arguments makes this thread more interesting.

Ramki
17th February 2005, 05:18 AM
Next:

http://tfmpage.com/stream/songs/solla_nv.rm

Song: solladaa vai thirandhu
Film: neela vaanam
Singer: PSuseela
Music : MSV

This is a kaNNadasan-MSV-PS delite. I have not seen this film but have heard a lot of good things .
'neelavaanam' had sivaji,devika,rajshree etc .
Screenplay was by KBalachander.
PMadhavan was the director.

I remember 4 more songs
'oh little flower'(TMS)
'oh lakshmi oh sheela'(LRE)
'oho odum eNNangaLe'(PS)
and a LRE-PS duet(vaLaikappu song).

PPP describes the song situation:(you need murasu)
http://tfmpage.com/ppp/solladaa.html

Discussion on Kannadasan piLLai paadalgaL
http://tfmpage.com/forum/14114.2349.14:00:38.html

madhu
17th February 2005, 07:53 AM
Hi !

beautiful song ! happy and sorrow.. mixed in one !

yes! there is a PBS,LRE song "mangala mangaiyum maappiLLaiyum andru kaigaL kalandhaada" !!

NOV
17th February 2005, 08:01 AM
Devika will hold a baby doll and sing this song which supposed to evoke sympathy.

I used to sing this song to the delight of my audience:)

Oh little flower
See your lover
See your kannil-vandhu-pattu-kondu-sikki-konda-lover!

Ramki, is the valaikaappu song mangala mangaiyum?

The ohoho... Odum mEgangalE song is simply marvelous as it makes one feel like he has grown wings and is flying above the earth.

PS PS thaan!

rajeshkrv
17th February 2005, 09:04 AM
A beautiful song by PS.

Appa thaimai unarvai Devika thirayilum, PS thiraikku pinnalum arumaiyaga kondu vanthiruppargal

Nice song!!

Oh ho ho Odum ennanagale is yet another master piece by MSV-KD-PS

balaji
17th February 2005, 05:28 PM
Excellent Song, Ramki!

There are numerous PS/MSV lullabies, each one a gem in its own kind. This is a good one too

Thanks Ramki. Some years ago you had listed your favorite PS solos. I am searching for it. If possible can you please provide the link..

Thanks
Bala

Ramki
18th February 2005, 04:14 AM
Madhu, NOV thanks.

Balaji Im not sure which list you are talking about(you know we just did 'listing' in the earlier days and nothing else:))

Here's one thread

http://tfmpage.com/forum/10981.21:52:12.html

Ramki
18th February 2005, 04:26 AM
Next:

http://tfmpage.com/stream/songs/vaan_dk.rm

Song: vaanam niram maarum
Film: dhaavani kanavugaL
Singers: SJanaki, SPB

This is one good song that didn't get much air time on the radio.
classical raaga thread states this song is based on Hamsanandhi raagam. I remember 2 more songs from DK
'sengamalam sirikkidhu'(SPB,SJ),
'oru naayagan udhayamaagiraan'(SPB,SPS).
Im not going to list the actors list as im sure most of you are aware of the details. I have not watched this film, will appreciate if someonce could share the storyline and the song sequence with rest of us.

thenraja
18th February 2005, 05:36 AM
Balaji Im not sure which list you are talking about(you know we just did 'listing' in the earlier days and nothing else:))

Here's one thread

http://tfmpage.com/forum/10981.21:52:12.html
OR is it this thread p susheela solos http://tfmpage.com/forum/14753.04:45:24.html

balaji
18th February 2005, 05:18 PM
Thanks Ramki. I remember one listed on PS lullabies..

Thanks Thenraja for the solos list.

MSV/PS solos are a treat always. The last best from this duo is 'Nilave Malare' (title song). Always something special about this combo.

Thanks
Bala

RR
18th February 2005, 09:11 PM
Ramki, the story outline you may know already. Bagyaraj - an unemployed - & his sisters are a struggling lower middle class family. Sivaji - a military man - is like a godfather & moral support for them. He helps bagyaraj go to Madras. There radhika helps him, and after a prayer by sivaji (an atheist) at the townside (inge camera, editing, BGM-ai gavanikkanum), bagyaraj gets recognized by bharathiraja and makes it big in film industry.. He returns and arranges rich grooms for his sisters, but after dowry sentiments & dialogues.. sisters decide to marry the poor guys (one is Parthiban)... Appuram ellaam subham..
This sounds stale and uninteresting, but Bagyaraj's direction, his unique style and dialogues make it worth a watch.. I think this is his own production, that's probably how roped in sivaji & BR for cameos..

In the first part of movie, Ilavarasi is a 'ethir veettu ponnu' who has a crush on Bagyaraj and also helps him with food & sundries.. (padathula ellorukkum dhaaraala manasu..!) The POW song is a dream sequence for her..

Ramki
19th February 2005, 05:01 AM
Thanks RR. I didnt know iLavarasi acted in this film.

Ramki
19th February 2005, 05:50 AM
Next:

http://tfmpage.com/stream/songs/ulag_tr.rm

Song: ulagellaam undharuLaal
Film: Thenali Raaman
Singer: PLeela
Lyrics: ?

This is another wonderful song i discovered couple of months ago. PLeela(i think its her)has sung very well(as she always does with devotional kinda songs).
I think Sivaji and Banumathy acted in this film. I have no clue of other songs or cast members.
This song reminds me of 'sidhamellaam enakku sivamayame'- same raaga maybe?

RR
19th February 2005, 07:52 AM
'sithamellam' is a pure Sindhu Bairavi.. I think the POW song too is..

Ramki
19th February 2005, 10:56 PM
Thanks RR.

RR
20th February 2005, 11:23 AM
I think 'vaanam niram maarum' is not Hamsanandhi. There's usage of P & D1. It must be Pantuvarali family.

Ramki, did you notice the similarity with 'vandhanam en vandhanm' (vaazhve maayam)? Pay specific attention to the carnatic style flute&mridangam section in the later of part first interlude..

BTW, the iLavarasi role was unnecessary except for thinuchufying one pullarikkum dialogue (and this song).. At one point, iLavarasi's dad invites Bagya and asks if he really wants to marry her (Bagya family is struggling then). He kind of insults him whether he'll really be able to marry his sisters and bargains with him to be a veettoda maappillai. Bagya gives up and readies to leave.. Appadiye thirumbi iLavarasiyaa paarthu,

"Mannichudummma, ennai vittaa unakku vere nalla purushan kidaippaan, but
en thangachingalukku ennai vittaa vera annan kidaikka maattaanmaa.."

Ramki
20th February 2005, 10:20 PM
RR ,when i searched for this song most of the threads say its hamsanandhi
http://tfmpage.com/ci/ci10.html
http://tfmpage.com/forum/17874.ros.html

But you know more about raagas than me :))

I'm not a big fan of bhakyaraj, so this is not surprising to me :)

From Mars
20th February 2005, 11:46 PM
Ramki, it's a pandhuvaraLi family, not hamsanadham :)

rajraj
21st February 2005, 12:27 AM
FM: avar Hamsanandhi-nnu sonnaar! Not Hamsanadham! UngaLukku three day weekend kidaiyaadhaa? :)

From Mars
21st February 2005, 01:46 AM
Raj.
Mars ila ellam Holiday illai :(

Ramki
21st February 2005, 06:37 AM
Thanks FM..neenga engaiyo poiteenga :))

Ramki
21st February 2005, 06:47 AM
Next:

http://tfmpage.com/stream/songs/kanne_pnv.rm

Song: kaNNe unakku enne kurai
Film: poo pootha nandavanam
Lyrics: Pulamaipithan
Music : Shankar Ganesh

'Poo pootha nandhavanam' is saritha's last tamil film as a heroine and i had the misfortune of watching it on the very first day of it's relase :(. 'Manadhil urudhi vendum' sridhar and Lalithasree were her costars.
Story(If you are still interested): Sridhar and Saritha are lovey dovey newly weds. One day saritha discovers she has uterus cancer and ofcourse like all tamil cinema she hides it from her family. She forces her husband to marry her sister Lalithasree and dutifully dies in the last scene :).
But SG's songs were good. Todays pick also has a SJ verion and there were 2 more songs..one SJ solo for Saritha and a 'dhayakattai' song by MV and SJ(for VKR and Saritha).

balaji
21st February 2005, 07:49 AM
Though the music for the song startslike the 'Rosa Malare Azhuvakkudathu...', SPB has rendered the song well and a good number by Pulamai/SG combo...

I believed the SJ version was more touchy. SJ did a very good job in that song

Thanks Ramki

Bala

RR
21st February 2005, 12:48 PM
RR ,when i searched for this song most of the threads say its hamsanandhi
Ramki, one thing I observed is ROS is, no one is 100% correct always - no matter how knowledgeable he/she is .. Stragely they err even for simple songs where you can rule out certain ragas.. Film songs-la, dinosaur-ukkum adi sarukkum :D

From Mars
21st February 2005, 11:28 PM
enna oru thatuvam ;)

Ramki
23rd February 2005, 04:57 AM
Next:
I have 2 short rare PS solos today

http://tfmpage.com/stream/songs/siri_kim.rm
http://tfmpage.com/stream/songs/maadh_nm.rm

Songs: sirikka sonnaar sirithen/maadham oru poo malarum
Film: kavalai illaadha manidhan/neela malargaL
Lyrics: kaNNadasan
Music : Viswanathan Ramamurthy/MSV

'sirikka sonnaal sirippen' is a haunting solo by PS. Song is for MNRajam. I think she sings this song when MRRadha comes to 'ponnu paarthufy' her. I'm not sure of the story, but i guess she is in love with chandrababu. Her family forces her to this ponnu paarkum padalam. Kannadasan aptly starts the song 'sirikka sonnar sirithen paarka sonnaar paarthen'.
Another great song from KIM is 'pirakkum podhum azhugindrai'. I have no knowledge of other songs from this film.

Second song is for KRvijaya. There is also a happy version of the same . 'Neela malargaL' is a insipid remake of
'anuraag'. The original was much more effective in dealing with 'eye donation' theme than the tamil remake. In spite of having a powerful cast like kamalhassan, sridevi, KRV,Nagesh, Major etc , neela malargaL was a flop.
MSV came up with 3 great songs. (needless to say with totally different tunes given by SDB in the original).
Other 2 songs:
idhu irava pagalaa(VJ,SPB)
pesum manimuthu(SPB)

balaji
23rd February 2005, 07:39 AM
Ramki

Thanks for two great numbers by the enhancting melody queen PS. Neela Malargal was a regular Oliyum Oliyum feature in those days..

Of all the songs with question/answer in them, I love 'Poo Poova Poothirukku, Boomiyile Ayiram Poo' song the best. I believe this was the 100th film of Saroja Devi, music by KV. Any idea the film name?

Thanks
Bala'

NOV
23rd February 2005, 07:40 AM
There is one more song in Kavalai Illaadha Manidhan by TR Mahalingam. Goes "naan deivamaa illai nee deivamaa" or something like that.

On Neela Malargal song, "pesu mani muththu rojaakkal" was the original to ARR's "pennalla pennalla oothaapoo."

madhu
23rd February 2005, 07:41 AM
balaji !

poo poova poothirukku is from "kula vilakku"

madhu
23rd February 2005, 07:43 AM
Hi Ramki!

I think kavalai illadha manidhan is having a jamuna Rani song "kaattil maram urangum kazhaniyilae nel urangum"

Ramki
23rd February 2005, 07:44 AM
balaji
its from 'kulaviLakku'

NOV thanks for mentioning TRM song. What role did he play in this film?

Ramki
23rd February 2005, 07:45 AM
Thanks Madhu. Never heard of that song :(

NOV
23rd February 2005, 07:49 AM
Ramki, sorry padaththa naa paarkkala. Just remembered the song. Madhu sonna paattu kooda nalla paattu. Who is the singer? Jamuna Rani?

madhu
23rd February 2005, 07:51 AM
Ramki !

of course posting lyric is not correct here... but anyway as I know.. I am posting it.. check if u know the song.. Of course, I still hv a doubt abt the singer.. LRE of JR..?

kAttil maram uRangum kazhaniyilae nel uRangum
pAttil poruL uRangum pArkadalil meen uRangum
kAdhal iruvarukkum kaNN uRangAdhu - adhil
kAdhalan pirindhu vittAl peN uRangAdhu

alai pongum kadal Oram
madhi thangam sindhum nEram
angum ingum Odum
thuNai engae enRu thEdum
malar kaNNAl adhai kaNdAl
uLLam sangeethangaL pAdum
nalla sugam nAdum
nAdgangaL Adum

(kAttil)

vaLar kAlam sellum vEgam
adhil kAdhal mARum pOdhum
mAnam enRum selvam
peNN vAzhvil ninRu kAkkum
onRae uLLam enRum
adhu onRAi ninRu vAzhum
kAdhalar vAzhga vAzhgena pAdi

(kAttil)

of course, I know it is a rare song ! but a soft one..
I heard years back and still remember the lyrics.. ( even I myself wondering :D )

madhu
23rd February 2005, 07:53 AM
Ramki!

yes ! I too remember TRM song "naan deivama illai nee deivama.. namakkul yar deivam enru sollamma" .. But nothing more than these lines ... :(

NOV
23rd February 2005, 08:02 AM
madhu, out of curiousity - what is the relationship between you and your avatar? :D:D:D

madhu
23rd February 2005, 08:04 AM
achachO !

some day or other.. I am expecting this question...!

nothing special.. ullathil kuzhandhai.. adhuthan..he he :P

NOV
23rd February 2005, 08:11 AM
oh, avlothaanaa? I thot that the cute baby is your pErapillai. hehehehehe

RC
23rd February 2005, 08:31 AM
oh, avlothaanaa? I thot that the cute baby is your pErapillai. hehehehehe

naan great grandkid-nu ninachen.. :)

rajeshkrv
23rd February 2005, 05:01 PM
2 beautiful songs by PS

thanks ramki..

sirikka sonnar is a class

Ramki
23rd February 2005, 06:00 PM
Madhu, NOV..i might have listened to that song(Thanks for the lyrics madhu) and i think its JR

Ramki
24th February 2005, 05:23 AM
Next:

http://tfmpage.com/stream/songs/pudhi_aa.rm

Songs: pudhir poda poraaLaam
Film: achamillai achamillai
Singers : SJanaki, Malaysia Vasudevan
Music : VSNarasimman

Thanks to RC for sending this song.

I think it was late 80s when DD showed an old TRRamachandran movie titled 'sabapathy'. The film had a song with the same vidukathai Vairamuthu has written in our todays pick. I'm not sure if VM copied this song or is this is a common pudhir in villages.
Nonetheless this is a fun song. The song was picturised on Gopi and Akalya.
IMO 'AA' is the last poweful film from KB. It had an excellent screenplay accompanied by great perfomance from Saritha and her eyes :). Who can forget her display of emotions in the scene she witness Rajesh beating her father in law ?
Its a masterpiece scene by KB

'karisu tharisal' from AA was featured in POW few weeks before.

madhu
24th February 2005, 07:31 AM
Hi Ramki!

This song was not aired often like "odugira thanniyilae" or "avaarampoovu". I am happy to hear this one !

Though SPB and Malaysia gave voice to Rajesh in two songs.. the female artists are assigned with different female voices in the film. P Suseela for Saritha, Vani Jayaram for Pavithra and SJ for agalyA !

tfmlover
24th February 2005, 10:02 AM
kAttil maram uRangum?
if anyone intrstd listng online let me knw i give link

Ramki
25th February 2005, 05:01 AM
tfmlover please post the link, thanks

Ramki
25th February 2005, 05:02 AM
Next:

http://tfmpage.com/stream/songs/velli_ag.rm

Song: veLLi nilaa padhumai
Film: Amutha gaanam
Singers : Vani jairam, Ramesh
Lyrics: ?

Song sponsor Naaz

Naaz writes:

Sure you haven't heard of the film (or if you have,
I've got company!) and that's not a sad thing. Amudha
Gaanam came and went, thankfully, very quickly.
Directed by K Rangaraj (he was on a roll after the
success of Udhaya Geetham and Unnai Naan Sandhiththaen
and other motherbland flicks) the film starred Baby
Shalini, Nalini, Sulakshana and Vijayakanth.
Enough said? :-)

Poison at the box-office,it still had two delightful
tunes by IR.

Orey Raagam (SJ / KJY - forward file please!,)and the
current selection.

The interludes here are dizzy, wanton kites, pulled in
by a strong, bass arm. VJ is all shiver (check out the
repeat taan at 2:18 and 3:05 - or thereabouts, just
before the stanza cascades into the chorus) and nuance
(the languid "padhumai"s,) while Ramesh fills in as a
worthy foil.

Tip: It helps a great deal if you listen to the song
with your eyes open. A foolproof way to close out the
cast and focus on IR, the tune, and the singing.
Just so you know.

RC
25th February 2005, 06:39 AM
Nice song. It feels like I have heard this before. Ramesh seems to have a voice similar to Deepan Chakravarthy. Music reminds much like T.Rajendar's. All, IMO!

madhu
25th February 2005, 07:59 AM
Hi Ramki!

is there any other song by Ramesh ?

isaiosai
25th February 2005, 08:44 AM
RC,

You may have heard the Telugu version of this song, "Rangulalo kalavo" by SPB, SJ from Abhinandhana. MD was IR (not TR:)) Not sure which version came first.

Naaz
25th February 2005, 11:21 AM
Ramki -

Thanks for featuring the song.

The telugu version of this tune appeared in a film starring Karthik and Shobana (which was later dubbed as a tamizh film - Kaadhal Geetham - or something along those lines!)

VJ / Ramesh have sung another duet for IR: Kanniththaene Ival Maane from Ambigai Naeril Vandhaal.

RR
25th February 2005, 03:46 PM
Another one by Ramesh: 'oru naalil malarnthene' (unnai thedi varuven. With SJ).

Ramki
25th February 2005, 05:58 PM
Madhu,
Other Ramesh songs:

raadhe en raadhe vaa raadhe(japanil kraman)
vaaraiyo vaanmadhi(pagal nilavu)
kaNNi thene(ambigai neril vandhaaL)
and one more from the same film(not kalyaana selai)

RC, there is also a tamil version of the telugu song:) you might have heard the other one..i think Mano and ksc sang in tamil

From Mars
25th February 2005, 07:29 PM
What about pudhiya poovithu? (I might have got the film name wrong)

RC
25th February 2005, 08:05 PM
Was it Ramesh who sang the song, pon maane kObam yeano, in Oru kaithiyin Dairy?

From Mars
25th February 2005, 09:24 PM
RC :) Nop it's Unnimenon, he was introduced as vijay. A lot of CDs and DVDs credits KJY for the song :)

RC
26th February 2005, 01:03 AM
FM: Yes.. I remember now.. Thanks!

Ramki
26th February 2005, 05:04 AM
Next:

http://tfmpage.com/stream/songs/kang_mm.rm

Song: kaNgaLin veNNilave
Film: manimegalai
Singers : TRMahalingam, PBanumathy
Lyrics: Marudhakasi?
Music : GRamanathan

TRM-Banumathi is a rare combination, and thank god for that. Her limited singing capability becomes more evident when she sings with high-scale singers like TRM .
Manisegaran writes in the TRM thread:

TRM sang almost all his songs in high pitch. the great G Ramanathan tailored a song to make TRM sing in both high and low pitch. In Manimegalai TRM was made to sing with Banumathy who never could sing in high pitch. In the song "Kankalin Vennilave"TRM sings with a high pitch while Banumathy sings with a low pitch. In the tail end of the song both TRM and Mahalingam sing in a very low pitch

http://www.tfmpage.com/my/mani/trm.html

In another thread Manisegaran jotted down the lyrics

http://www.tfmpage.com/my/mani/analogies.html

balaji
26th February 2005, 07:46 AM
Ramki/Naaz

Thanks for the Velli Nila song. (This used to play on Ilangai Vanoli in 85). After 83 Ilangai Vanoli slowly reduced their tamil programs and could no longer hear in AM radio in Madras and around.

Thanks to Short Wave radio, we could still hear Ilangai Vanoli in the evening from 4:30 to 7:00 in midst of Christian Programs..

What happened to this Guy. IR could have given Ramesh more chances than promoting Mano in the later years

Bala

balaji
26th February 2005, 07:56 AM
Ramki

Sorry for the double posting.

It is always great to hear TRM singing his high pitch songs. I remember seeig him as Naradhar in "agathiyar" (may be 70/71 and sang a song in that movie too). His Sendhamil Then Mozhiyal was a great hit even during my college days in the 80s..

Any idea what was his last song/movie?

It is sad that Bhanumathi who was never a good singer, got to sing such a good song so pathetically with the great TRM..

Thanks
Bala

Ramki
26th February 2005, 08:00 AM
balaji
I'm not sure which is TRM's last song..but i know he sang in 'raajaraajachozhan', which came in early 70s

yvsmani
21st March 2005, 05:05 PM
even though I have listened to velli nila padhumai a lot of times earlier and recently too, I never knew that there is a singer named Ramesh. It is a news for me. thanks everybody en ariyamaiyai pokkiyatharkku.

amutha ganam padam kodaikanalil edukkapattathu. photography was good in that film. padam konjam rambam thaan. Maduraiyil Natraj theatreil vanthathu.

continuant
28th March 2005, 07:46 PM
[tscii:d74360ce81]Êóðåíèå âûçûâàåò ñòàðåíèå êîæè. Â Åâðîïå ëþäè ìåíüøå êóðÿò! Èììèãðàöèÿ â åâðîïåéñêèå ñòðàíû: http://cernis.cz[/tscii:d74360ce81]

rajraj
14th February 2006, 08:40 AM
Next:
I have 2 short rare PS solos today

http://tfmpage.com/stream/songs/siri_kim.rm
http://tfmpage.com/stream/songs/maadh_nm.rm

Songs: sirikka sonnaar sirithen/maadham oru poo malarum
Film: kavalai illaadha manidhan/neela malargaL
Lyrics: kaNNadasan
Music : Viswanathan Ramamurthy/MSV

'sirikka sonnaal sirippen' is a haunting solo by PS. Song is for MNRajam. I think she sings this song when MRRadha comes to 'ponnu paarthufy' her. I'm not sure of the story, but i guess she is in love with chandrababu. Her family forces her to this ponnu paarkum padalam. Kannadasan aptly starts the song 'sirikka sonnar sirithen paarka sonnaar paarthen'.
Another great song from KIM is 'pirakkum podhum azhugindrai'. I have no knowledge of other songs from this film.

Second song is for KRvijaya. There is also a happy version of the same . 'Neela malargaL' is a insipid remake of
'anuraag'. The original was much more effective in dealing with 'eye donation' theme than the tamil remake. In spite of having a powerful cast like kamalhassan, sridevi, KRV,Nagesh, Major etc , neela malargaL was a flop.
MSV came up with 3 great songs. (needless to say with totally different tunes given by SDB in the original).
Other 2 songs:
idhu irava pagalaa(VJ,SPB)
pesum manimuthu(SPB)

Original post quoted to include the second song in the list.

rajraj
14th February 2006, 08:58 AM
Click on the link below for a list of songs in this thread:

Song List (http://www.forumhub.mayyam.com/hub/lyrsort.php?t=2537)

Next:

http://tfmpage.com/cgi-bin/stream.pl?url=http://raretfm.com/songs/kaav_mm.rm

Song: kaaviri thaiye kaaviri thaiye
Film: Mannadhi Mannan
Singer: Jamuna Rani

I never knew such a song existed until last year when i got hold of a CD with Nadodi Mannan/Mannadhai Mannan combo.
What intrigued me was Jamuna Rani,s singing. Never listened to a more soulful song by her.

Kannadasan lyrics is another highlight of the song.

karai purandodugirai manam urugaadho
en kaNNeerum serndhuvitaal karai udaiyadho
kaimaiyile ennai kalangavaippaiyo
karunai manamirangi vaazhavaippayo

(Looks like VM was inspired from the first 2 lines in 'kaadhal vandhaal solli anuppu')

VR tuned 8 fabulous songs for 'Mannadhi Mannan' including
1)aadatha manamum undo(TMS,MLV)
2)Neeyo naano yaar nilave(PS,JR,PBS)
3)accham enbadhu madamaiyadaa(TMS)
4)kalayodu kalandhadhu(MLV)
5)kaNiya kaNiya mazhalai(TMS,PS)
6)kaaduthazhaikka(PLeela,SCKrishnan) and
7)kaNgaL irandum (PS)

MM had MGR,Padmini,Anjalidevi in the lead. I'm not aware of other details. Those who have watched the film please post the situation of today's pick.

First post quoted to include the song in the list.