PDA

View Full Version : Older picks

Oldposts
26th December 2004, 07:29 AM
Song list (http://www.forumhub.mayyam.com/hub/lyrsort.php?t=2535)

Next pick

http://tfmpage.com/cgi-bin/stream.pl?url=http://tfmpage.com/songs/poove.rm

Song: poove idhu poojaikaalame
Film: graamathu adhyayam
Singer: BSSasirekha
Lyrics: Gangai Amaran
MD : IR

'Graamathu adhyayam' was the second film (and last) by Rudraiyaa. After the brilliant 'avaL appadithaan' came this horrible film which is still remembered today only for its songs.
The film,shot in black and white, had a documentary feel .It was dreary, boring and quiet confusing.
'Gramathu adhyayam' is story of a woman (krishnakumari who has a strikling resemblance to her sister tollywood/bollywood actress Rameshwari) who continues her relationship with her boyfriend even after marrying someonelese(udhiri pookaL fame Soundar).
This film had 4 songs
'aathu mettule' (MV,SJ)-for KK and a new hero
'oodha kaathu veesaiyile'(SJ,JC)-for KK and Soundar
'vaadadha rosapooo naan onnu paarthen' (SPB)for another character who is also in love with KK
and
our latest pick which was for KK.

Oldposts
T i have no problem listening to MIOL songs

Oldposts
ramki, cheri kuzhandhaigal was infact a very nice song.. I heard it only now..
Not a big fan of sasirekha.. so i'll pass on the gramathu adhyayam song.. wasnt there another movie called gramathu minnal?

Oldposts
T: Gramathu minnal unga fav hero Ramarajan nadicha padam. Heroine: Revathy. MD: IR Dir: Rangarajan, I think.

Oldposts
Next pick

http://tfmpage.com/cgi-bin/stream.pl?url=http://tfmpage.com/songs/pani.rm

Song: paniyum naane malarum neeye
Film: Pani malar
Singer: SPB, Jency
Lyrics: Muthulingam
MD : Shankar Ganesh

-I remember watching this song in OLiyum oliyum many many years ago. The song was picturised on Raveendar and Sashikala. I have no other details on this film.
-If im not wrong this is the last song by Jency in TFM. This could be her second song with SPB(after mayile mayile)

Oldposts
'cheri kuzhandhaigal' is probably a song that didn't get noticed for a (seemingly) unfriendly pallavi. But I think the song can be listened just for its lyrics.

cheri kuzhandhaigal sevvandhi arumbugal
kovil kulangalil neendhi dhinam geetham isaikkindra meengal

andha chinnaj chirusugal chithira pinjugal
siru olai kudilgalil koovi sola kanji kudukkindra kuyilgal

andha sorkka chirippugal sorna virippugal
chetru sagadhiyil thulli thanga meni karuthidum muyalgal

(cheri)

andha sooriya deepangal sundara chirpangal
saalai orangalil odum kizhisal sattai anindhitta maangal

andha solai pasumaigal soga pathumaigal
veli nizhalgalil koodi pasum thogai verikkindra mayilgal

andha sevaazhai thandugal sendhoora cheppugal
nadai paathaigalil valarum namadhu naalaya nambikkai payiral

(cheri)

Rare to find such 'visual' lyrics in TFM. I won't be surprised if MSV tuned for pre-written lyrics.

KJY,SJ superb. MSV has also given his touch to beautify this song musically. I think the base is Misra Sivaranjani. In addition to the usual G3 touches (as in 'neeeeendhi'), MSV has also used D1 (the first 'meeeeengal') I think. Both add to give the pathos feel nicely. I wonder if this raga is called by a unique name. (Ramki,M: Can Mrs.Charumathi help?)

Oldposts
Iam no fan of BS.Sashirekha. But "poove idhu poojai kaalame" is an excellent song that is ever haunting. SLBC used to feature this song rarely under "malarndhum malaraadhadhum" - this beautiful "poo" that fell off the poojai thattu :(

Oldposts
Ramki: This movie, panimalar, came much much earlier before Ilamai kaalangaL, in which sasikala was introduced. If I remember it correctly, it is Ravindhar and Madhavi.

Oldposts
RR,
It cannot be called a unique raaga. Usually Misra Sivanjani means Ga1 and Ga2, in this song D2 (meenkal) is used. Hence you cannot call this as Misra sivaranjani either. But the base is set to Misra sivaranjani.

Oldposts
RR,
I'm sorry :) I was wrong. Yes D1 is used (in meenkaL), hence it cannot be called as misra sivaranjani.

What am I doing at this time :)

Oldposts
M: MSV kalandhu katti oru 'Mixture Sivaranjani' pottadhaa vachukkalaam :)

Oldposts
RC you must be correct. As i mentioned in my post i saw this song very long time back

Oldposts
Next pick

http://tfmpage.com/cgi-bin/stream.pl?url=http://tfmpage.com/songs/karp.rm

Song: deivathin thereduthu
Film: Paatum bharathamum
Singer : TMS
Music : MSV
Lyrics : Kannadasan

- Another classic from MSV with a great combination of wonderful lyrics, powerful voice and excellent tune. If TMS impresses you with his gambeera sogam, Kannadasan floors you with the rare usage of uvamais.

The lyrics will have more meaning if the situation is explained:
Sivaji and jayalalitha, professional bharathanatyam dancers, fall in love with each other after the tamil film norm fights and tiffs.
Since Sivajis family will be against this relationship, he will marry JJ against their wishes. But soon he will start suspecting her which will lead to their seperation. By the time he realises his mistake, she will fly out of the country with his child in her womb.

Todays pick comes at this situation. Kannadasan aptly starts(after the thogaiyar 'karapanaikku')

deivathin thereduthu deviyai thedu
devikku thoodhu sella thendrale odu

aavikuL aavi aanandha aedu
avaL illaiyendraal naan verum koodu
paavaikku pottuvaithen naan oru koadu
paadi parandhadhamma iLankuyil pedu

-just by reading the 4 lines we can learn the crux of the story.

The following 4 lines are the highlight of the whole song. sivaji, who will be shown as a young man at the start of the song, will slowly transform into an oldperson through the duration of the song.
Kannadasan beautifully captures the change in seasons in these 4 lines

neer vatri ponadhendru ninaivinil vedippu(kodai)
nenjathil thondrudhammaa vasanthathin thudippu(vasantham)
maamazhai megam indru kaNgaLil iruppu(kaarkaalam)
maargazhi paniyandro avaLadhu sirippu(panikaalam)

Then the last 2 lines of the third charanam describes that our hero is old now
(narai vizhundhaalum nenjil thirai vizhavillai)

'paatum bharathamum' had sivaji in dual role(Father and son)JJ and sripriya were the respective jodis. The film had 4 great songs by MSV

Sivagaami aadavandhaal natarajan enna seivaan
maandhorana veedhiyil meLangaL
mazhaikaalam varugindradhu(MSV,VJ) and
deivathin thereduthu

There is also another song for the 'son' sivaji(sivaji with horrible make up and ultra overacting). I think it was by SPB.

This is what Mrs Charumathi has to say about this song
----
'karpanaiku mEni thanthu' is based on 'chakravaagam'. This raaga is
16 'mELa' and it has
the following aaro, avaro and 'swarasthana':
Aro: Sa Ri1 Ga2 Ma1 Pa Da2 Ni1 Sa
Avo: Sa Ni1 Da2 Pa Ma1 Ga2 Ri1 Sa
You can also say that this song is based on 'ahir bhairavi' in
hindustani raaga.

The song is set to Adi thaLa and it has a unusual format for a film
song. Normally,
first two lines of 'pallavi' repeats throughout a song; however
3rd and 4th line of pallavi repeats in this song. ie 'deivathin thEr
eduthu dEviyai thEdu'
and 'dEvikku thoothu sella thendralE Odu' repeats, but the first two
lines never repeat.

'Jadhi' appears in the end of song and reminds of 'Siva's uruthira
thaaNdavam' which is also
uncommon in a film song.

The music director brought a sad feeling through the song and I'm not
sure about the situation
in the movie; especially the lines 'narai vizhunthaalum nenjil thirai
vizha villai' reminds me
the sad feeling. It's very rare that 'narai' appears in a film song.

The lyrics has lots of 'Old Tamil' words which is not easy to
understand the underlying
meaning.

MD used "Senai' instrument which also adds the sad feeling to the song.

Musically this song is similar to 'uLLathil nalla uLLam' from 'karNan'.

Oldposts
Ramki: I always confuse this song with 'sandhega kodu' (also in chakravagam). Which movie is that from?

Is the SPB song 'I will sing for you' ?

Oldposts
RR : the song is my song is for you - SBP goes pretty wild in the song, especially guess who - sounds like gas who..

I will sing for you - I think is from Manidharil maanikkam.

Oldposts
RR, sandhega kodu is from Sorgam Naragam...
Sivaji, jj & sripriya?? which year did this movie come out?? I guess it should be during thoppai sivaji period :)

Oldposts
raja m: I think you are rite. I like spb in that song :)

T: thanks, how could i forget, I've seen that movie.

Oldposts
Ramki: check your pm

Oldposts
raja m nice to see your post after a long time.

'i will sing for you i will dance for you' - isnt that by TMS/LRE

T i think PB was the first movie with sivaji-sripriya combo. According to Tamilcinema this film was released in 1975

RC replied

Oldposts
Paattu bharathamum is a pretty good semi classical album by MSV. Though one could argue TMS was past his prime then, the melodies are still captivating. Apart from 'deivathin thereduthu',
1. sivagami aadavanthaal - I remember this is a pOtti dance between Sivaji & JJ. They both have to draw a picture (i forgot what) on the floor with their feet while dancing (this idea was copied in 'Kaadhalan'). They start off fine, but ultimately JJ misses a key point in the picture and sivaji wins (hero had to..what!). When TMS sings 'mayakkaamaa.. kalakkamaa.. kanakkile kuzhappamaa', you can easily picturise sivaji's victorious looks and JJ in disbelief.
This song is a ragamalika. Starts with Amirthavarshini (how majestic the pallavi!), kanada,charukesi and rounds off with Madhyamavadhi(?).
2. maanthorana veedhiyil - light song. I think based on sindhu bairavi.
3. mazhaikkaalam varugindradhu - Very good one from VJ. Sounds hindustani-ish. Is the MSV part from classical literature?

If you are a MSV, it's worth many listens.

http://www.musicindiaonline.com/l/26/s/movie_name.5074/music_director.762/ (http://www.musicindiaonline.com/l/26/s/movie_name.5074/music_director.762/
)

Oldposts
Ramki:

Nice to see you post after a long time :-)

Oldposts
RR,
'They both have to draw a picture (i forgot what) on the floor with their feet while dancing (this idea was copied in 'Kaadhalan'). '

Wasnt this thing already done in an MGR movie?? MGR dances and draws a lion with his feet.. I dont remember the name of the movie..

Oldposts
T
PBliyum they draw a lion.JJ will miiss the eyes.

raja m:)

Oldposts
Next pick

http://tfmpage.com/cgi-bin/stream.pl?url=http://tfmpage.com/songs/vaan.rm

Song: vaanam sevvanam
Film: kuLirkaala megangaL
Singers : KJY, VJ
Music : Shankar Ganesh

-This song is sponsored by T:)
According to FM, kuLirkaala megangaL had Arjun in the lead. T says its directed by Sridhar.
I have no other info on this film. Knowledgable can throw more info on this film/songs etc

Oldposts
Ramki: It is directed by Sridhar. Sadhana who is now in tamizh serials is the heroine. I think this came after the disasterous nAnum oru thozhilALi.
Check your PM!

Oldposts
Ramki -

I've enjoyed most of the selections that have been featured in this thread. Sri Gananaatham, Poove Idhu Poojaikaalame, Paniyum Neeye Malarum Naane...and even the current one. All not equal in merit (but that's not the point, I assume) but all definitely worth a listen.
I'm sorry, I've no idea about Kulirkaala Megangal. Did it have the other (lyric) howler:'Mella Pesu, Megangal Kaettaalum Naanum" ? (the cloud connection?) I'll place my bets on the Arjun lead. Sridhar and SG? Something jarrs the sensibilities? :-)

And: How does one send song files / commentary of ditties that deserve another hearing? Are such initiatives welcomed? Please inform!

Oldposts
Thanks Ramki.. Credit goes to From Mars :)...
I saw this movie recently in Raj TV.. It has Arjun, (as mentioned by RC) and Jaishankar.. I didnt watch the whole movie though.. It's about horse racing and Arjun comes as a Jockey.. Dont think seabiscuit was inspired from this one :))..
Jaishankar is a rich man in ooty and has around 50 horses in his stable.. Arjun and Jaishankar have some bad blood between them and Arjun vows to beat jaishankar.. He invites Jaishankar for a bet and wins the horses one by one... As usual Sadhana is Jai's daughter and finally Jai wins her hand... I didnt know it was a sridhar movie till I saw the end credits..

Oldposts
There is another song by SPB, VJ 'ilaigal meedhum malargal meedhum pani vizhum' from the same movie..

Oldposts
RC/T - Pudhir sadhana?

Naaz send your song/comments to pow_request@yahoo.com

Oldposts
Ramki -

Thanks. I'll give it some thought, and send you a song/commentary one of these days.

T -

"Ilaigal meedhum malargal meedhum pani vizhum kaalam" is a good duet. I was not aware that it was composed by SG. Is there a trace of MSVs "Medaiyil Aadidum Melliya Poongkaatre" in there - somewhere?

Oldposts
Ramki: Pudhir Sadhana????
I think she acted in one of Visu's movies. I think she also acted in Chain Jayabal *ing Rajesh, Rajeev etc

Oldposts
Also acted in Sridar's Unnai thedi varuven ('oru naalil malarnthene' by IR).

Oldposts
I did watch this movie, but forget the whole plot :)
I only vaguely remember Arjun. I believe that there is one more good song.

Oldposts
RR, Did Revathi act in the movie? May be I'm confused. I couldn't watch the whole movie, end up watching partially :)

Oldposts
FM: I dont think Revathi acted in that movie.

Oldposts
RC-Sadhna(with pooNai kaN) was introduced in Pudhir(with MuraLi)..adhe Sadhnavaannu ketten

Oldposts
Next pick

http://tfmpage.com/cgi-bin/stream.pl?url=http://tfmpage.com/songs/aen.rm

Song: aenthaan ennodu un oodal naadagam
Film: en kaNavar
Singers : KJY, Chitra
Music : Sangeetarajan

-
I chose this song as a tribute to the director of this film. Ashwin kumar. He was my tailor few years ago(For those from Mambalam area: 'Kumar tailors' thamabaiya road).
Yesterday i read his obituary in Dinakaran. He died of massive heart attack.
The news rekindled my memories. He was a huge super * fan and always had the dream of making into films. He directed 2 movies and both were failures. He later sold his tailor shop and moved out of the aread and my memories, until yesterday.
-en kanavar had Ramki and Nirosha in the lead.I have no other details to share(mano,RC,RR,T- you might know more)

Oldposts
Btw this is a good song by sangeetarajan. He had a very short innings in TFM. Recently he did the BGM for 'snehidiye'

Oldposts
Ramki

Is this the 'Kumar Tailors' next to the Krishnaveni Theatre (the first one in the street on the right handside of the road?). When I was in school he used to be our tailor, thanks to my elder brother. Lost touch after 85 when my family moved out of CIT Nagar. Kumar used to be a short but a brisk guy . He never cared about getting the money for his job, and always stitched in style much to my mother's anger.
Please confirm if by any chance I am referring to the same Kumar tailors

bALA

Oldposts
Bala,
This shop was in thambaiya(reddy) street, very close to nightingale school. He was 'gents' only tailor ..expert in bell bottoms and then narrow pants:)

Oldposts
'yEn thaan ennOdu' had three version. One by mano, another by KJY alone (sad), 'kaathadum nEram' by KJY. I saw the movie, It's a thriller. Unfortunately It's been long enough, that I don't remember exact plot. This song is for Ramki and Nirosha.

Oldposts
Sangeetha rajan did few movies, his other name is SP.Venkatesh. poovukuL poogammbam had great if not good songs.

Oldposts
S.P. venkatesh from malayalam?? he did the BGM for Airport starring Satyaraj...

Oldposts
and wasnt he the aasthana MD for thyagarajan movies like salem vishnu, theepetti (i mean theechatti) govindan ??
<a name="last"></a>

RR
26th December 2004, 10:40 AM
Among the IR wannabes, sangeetharajan has done an above-average job in the orchestration of this song.

rajraj
14th February 2006, 09:54 AM
Next pick

http://tfmpage.com/cgi-bin/stream.pl?url=http://tfmpage.com/songs/poove.rm

Song: poove idhu poojaikaalame
Film: graamathu adhyayam
Singer: BSSasirekha
Lyrics: Gangai Amaran
MD : IR

'Graamathu adhyayam' was the second film (and last) by Rudraiyaa. After the brilliant 'avaL appadithaan' came this horrible film which is still remembered today only for its songs.
The film,shot in black and white, had a documentary feel .It was dreary, boring and quiet confusing.
'Gramathu adhyayam' is story of a woman (krishnakumari who has a strikling resemblance to her sister tollywood/bollywood actress Rameshwari) who continues her relationship with her boyfriend even after marrying someonelese(udhiri pookaL fame Soundar).
This film had 4 songs
'aathu mettule' (MV,SJ)-for KK and a new hero
'oodha kaathu veesaiyile'(SJ,JC)-for KK and Soundar
'vaadadha rosapooo naan onnu paarthen' (SPB)for another character who is also in love with KK
and
our latest pick which was for KK.

First post quoted for including the song in the list.

thriinone
5th October 2008, 03:52 PM
pazhamperum padalgaL ninaivu koorntha anbu ithayangaLukku nandri