PDA

View Full Version : Cheese Varieties in USA

Inimai
11th March 2005, 08:29 AM
Hi,

In US, there are more vaieties of cheese available. Which one tastes good? Which cheese is good to use for our indian cooking. I think the cheese which tastes little bit salty is apt to our food. Can anyone throw light on this?

I searched the net and there are lot of cheese varieties availablein the market. I dont know which to select.

Thanks!

di
11th March 2005, 10:45 PM
hi Inimai,

there are plenty of cheese choices- hard,soft,salty,sharp etc! i will list cheese which we have tried and liked- hope it will help u !

~~~mozarella(shredded or fresh) for using in pizza,grilled sandwhich etc- it has a stringy texture and is also chewy after melting.
~~~parmesan and romano which are hard cheese and can be eaten as a snack or grated on pasta or soups!
~~~goat cheese-which is a soft cheese and crumbles well-goes best with salads or wraps
~~~jalapeno/habanero jack cheese-which is great as an appetizer served with crackers and jalapeno jelly!

if i remeber anymore will post.

Inimai
12th March 2005, 03:53 AM
Hi di,

Thanks for your suggestion. I will try these.

Thanks!

sujathakannan
15th March 2005, 08:30 PM
hi Inimai,

You can use ricotta cheese which is soft cheese for preparing rasamalai sweet. It can be substituted for malai in msot recipes.

Inimai
16th March 2005, 09:59 PM
Hi Sujatha Kannan,

Thanks for your suggestion!

By the way, are you from Atlanta? I know a friend named Sujatha from Atlanta. leave it if it's a personal query.

sujathakannan
17th March 2005, 12:06 AM
Hi Inimai,

I live in South of US. And had never lived in Atlanta before.

tomato
22nd December 2005, 09:08 AM
Need some good tried recipe of a salad using feta cheese.
I've bought a pack of feta cheese with olives and herbs. The cheese cubes herbs and all r in oil. I guess I just need to toss the whole thing with cut veggies. Any suggestion as to what goes well with feta please.......

RedPepper
22nd December 2005, 06:50 PM
Need some good tried recipe of a salad using feta cheese.
I've bought a pack of feta cheese with olives and herbs. The cheese cubes herbs and all r in oil. I guess I just need to toss the whole thing with cut veggies. Any suggestion as to what goes well with feta please.......
tomato, I add crumbled feta cheese to salads.

ssanjinika
22nd December 2005, 10:59 PM
Hey I have tried watermelon salad with feta cheese (courtesy:Food TV - Paula's show)and it was delicious.Just cut watermelon into bitesize peices.Add slices of red onions and then crumble feta cheese all over it.Add a simple dressing of red wine vinegar,olive oil and some dried basil.
Healthy salad good enough for a starter or a meal.

tomato
23rd December 2005, 08:26 AM
Thanx Pepper and Sanjika.
Will make some salad soon........