PDA

View Full Version : Tomato Jam

Pearl
9th March 2005, 06:40 PM
Tomato Jam

½ Kg Red Ripe Tomatoes; ½ Kg Sugar; A pinch of Salt; 2 Tbspns of Lime Jucie or Ό tspn Citric Acid

Put tomatoes in a basin, pour boiling water over them and leave for 15 mins, then skin the tomatoes, mash well and put into a pan, add the sugar & cook over med. Heat stirring all the time till the sugar dissolves, now add the citric acid & keep stirring till the Jam consistency is obtained – remove from heat leave to cool – bottle & use.

You could serve this Jam with Puri’s/Chappatti’s/Dosa’s/Iddlys/Bread/Buns etc.,

Pearl Subramanian

Badri
16th March 2005, 09:39 AM
Thanks for the recipe, Pearl. I remember eating this ages ago...so long ago that I had almost forgotten such a thing even existed. My aunt used to make it and send a bottle to us everytime she did. Thanks for reminding me of Tomato Jam and thanks for the recipe as well..

I had initially thought, before opening the thread, that you had probably asked for the recipe...was a pleasant surprise to know you were sharing it with us

Thanks

ziaxxxxx
17th March 2005, 01:25 AM
hey pearl...do you know how to make other kinds of jams too? like pineapple , mixed fruit etcc etc..it will be of great help ..what with the prices of food items sprialling infintely nowadays.....

Badri
17th March 2005, 04:09 AM
Yes Pearl...any other fruit jam recipes also would be most welcome...

Pearl
18th March 2005, 10:24 PM
Hi Badri, Ziaxxxxx,
Recd. yr. feed back on Tomato Jam, thanks for the same. Yes, I do have my home made recipes on Lemon Curd, Guava Cheese, Gauva Jam, Mixed fruit Jam, Pineapple Jam etc., will definitely post the same soon. Try it out & let me know.

Bye

Best Regards,

Pearl

Pearl
21st March 2005, 05:50 PM
HOME MADE RECIPE OF MIXED FRUIT JAM

Grapes, Cherries, Plums, Mangoes, Apples, Pineapples, Strawberries, Papaya -could be used. Salt Ό tspn; Citric Acid ½ tspn. Red food colouring; Essence 1 tspn – Vanilla.

Wash & remove seeds from fruits –

For Mangoes/Apples/Papaya – skin the fruits, remove the seeds & core cut into small pieces & keep

Measure the fruit/pulp etc., - for 1 cup of fruit use 1 cup of sugar.

Put the cut fruit pces in a vessel pour water to cover the fruit add Ό tspn salt, cover & cook on low heat – say for ½ an hr. once the fruit has cooked nice & soft remove from heat & mash nicely – add the sugar & return to heat stirring constantly till thick & sticky ( 2 string consistency is reached) or when the bubbles start bursting & splashing around, at this stage add citric acid & essence mix well – remove from heat – leave to cool – put into dry, clean air tight bottles & use.

P.N.:= You could make each fruit into pulp by smashing it nicely or running it on the mixie , strain the Pulp of each fruit & keep. no water should be used - you could mash Strain & keep the pulps.
Say if you have:
1 cup of Grape Pulp; 1 cup of papaya pulp; 1cup of Mango Pulp; 1 cup of Pineapple pulp;
1 cup of Apple Pulp etc.,

For 5 cups of Fruit Pulp – take 5 cups of Sugar & proceed to make the Jam.

To Test if the Jam is ready – take a spoonful of the boiling Jam, put it on to a saucer & leave to cool. If it sets on cooling & no water separates from the Jam, the Jam is ready.

Pearl Subramanian

Pearl
21st March 2005, 05:51 PM
PINEAPPLE JAM – HOME MADE RECIPE

½ KG Pineapple; 4-6 Cloves; Yellow Food Colouring; Pineapple Essence; Ό tspn Citric Acid; ½ kg Sugar; Ό tspn Salt.

Skin the Pineapple cut into small fine pcs put in a vessel, add the cloves, salt & enough water to cover it cove & cook for ½ an hr. on low flame till soft. Remove from heat, remove the cloves and mash nicely, add sugar, colouring, essence & citric acid, put back on heat & keep mixing continuously till it thickens & is sticky - ( 2 string consistency is reached) or when the bubbles start bursting & splashing around, - remove from heat – leave to cool – put into dry, clean air tight bottles & use.

To Test if the Jam is ready – take a spoonful of the boiling Jam, put it on to a saucer & leave to cool. If it sets on cooling & no water separates from the Jam, the Jam is ready.

PN:-
Lime Juice 1 ½ tbspn could be used instead of Citric Acid.

To make Apple Jam use the same Recipe. I.E. Skin the Apples, remove skin, seeds & core, cut into small pcs. put in a vessel, add a 1” pc. Of Pattai, cloves, salt & enough water to cover it - cover & cook for ½ an hr. on low flame till soft – stirring occasionally. Remove from heat, remove the pattai & cloves and mash nicely, add sugar, colouring, essence & citric acid, put back on heat & keep mixing continuously till it thickens & is sticky - ( 2 string consistency is reached) or when the bubbles start bursting & splashing around, - remove from heat – leave to cool – put into dry, clean air tight bottles & use.

To make Mango Jam use the same Recipe as above.
Yellow or Orange food colour (Kesari pwd) could be used. Mango Essence could be used for Mango Jam

Pearl Subramanian

Pearl
21st March 2005, 05:52 PM
Guava Jam.

Use Green or yellow food colour for Guava Jam

Skin the guavas cut into small pcs. put in a vessel, add salt & enough water to cover the fruit - cover & cook for ½ an hr. on low flame till soft stirring occasionally. Remove from heat, mash nicely, strain to get the pulp, discard the seeds etc which is in the strainer, add sugar, & continue stirring till sugar dissolves, add colouring & citric acid to the pulp - put back on heat & keep mixing continuously till the jam thickens & is sticky - ( 2 string consistency is reached) or when the bubbles start bursting & splashing around, - remove from heat – leave to cool – put into dry, clean air tight bottles & use.

Pearl Subramanian

Pearl
21st March 2005, 05:52 PM
Guava Cheese.

Guava Pulp 500grms; Sugar 500 grms; ghee Ό cup; Citric Acid –1/4 tspn or Lime Juice 4 tbspns Ό tspn salt.

Skin the guavas cut into small pcs. put in a pressure cooker pan with ½ cup water & cook (once the first whistle is heard – lower flame & leave to cook for 10 mins - Remove from heat, leave the cooker to cool down open the cooker remove the fruit mash nicely, strain to get the pulp, discard the seeds etc which is in the strainer, put the pulp in a vessel,add salt, sugar & ghee to the to the pulp & cook over low heat until very thick – remove from heat add citric acid or lime juice mix well leave to cool – put into dry, clean air tight bottles & use.

Pearl Subramanian

Pearl
21st March 2005, 05:53 PM
LEMON CURD

Grated Rind of Lime & Juice of 2-3 Limes (or 6-8 Tbspns of Lime Juice); Butter 2-3 tbspns; 3 eggs – well beaten; ½ -3/4 cup of Sugar powdered; a Pinch of Salt.

Place a vessel with water on low heat & let it simmer nicely. In the Meantime take a bowl add the lime rinds, lime juice, salt & butter & stand this bowl over the simmering water – keep stirring till the mixture is well blended & the butter has melted add the sugar & continue to stir for about 15/20 mins till the sugar is dissolved now add the beaten eggs mixture & continue to stirring till it thickens like custard (do not over heat or boil or it will curdle) remove from heat, strain the mixture – pour into a clean, dry, airtight bottle & use for Bread, Dosa’s, Puri’s, Chappatti’s etc.,

P N:= If the mixture does not thicken – remove from heat immediately & beat with a whish rapidly.

The Lemon Curd is done when the mixture coats the back of a spoon.

Pearl Subramanian

ziaxxxxx
23rd March 2005, 04:29 AM
hey pearl...

thankx fer the lovely recipes...specially mixed fruit n pineapple jams...i have one query

can we use lemon juice in place of citric acid in all the jam recipes?? if so., wht should be the quantity ...specially in mixed fruit jams ?

ziaxxxxx
23rd March 2005, 04:34 AM
hi again pearl..u have given recipe for lemon curd....can we use same recipe for making strwaberry yougurt or apricot yougurt like the ones availible in the supermarket???? i usallu notice strawberry pulp at the bottom of hte container in the strawberry yoghurt. so is the recipe different ??

Pearl
23rd March 2005, 02:20 PM
FRUIT YOGURT

1 LITRE CURDS; 1 CUP MIXED FRUITS OR ANY FRUIT OF YR. CHOICE LIKE STRAWBERRIES, MANGO, BANANA, APRICOTS, PINEAPPLE; GRAPES; BERRIES ETC., FINELY MINCED OR MASHED COARSLEY; 1 TBSPN VANILLA ESSENCE OR FRUIT ESSENCE ACCORING TO THE FRUIT YOU ARE USING; POWDERED SUGAR -TO TASTE; A PINCH OF SALT; 2-3 TBSPNS OF HONEY.

TIE THE CURD IN A MUSLIN CLOTH & HANG FOR 1/2 AN HR. TO DRAIN. ADD SALT & BEAT THE CURDS WELL TO FORM A CREAMY BASE, ADD THE MINCED FRUITS, SUGAR, HONEY, ESSENCE, MIX WELL & CHILL - SERVE IN CUPS & SERVE.

REGARDING YR. QUERY IF LIME JUICE COULD BE USED IN MIXED FRUIT JAM. YES, YOU COULD USE LIME JUICE INSTEAD OF CITRIC ACID - LIKE FOR PINEAPPLE JAM RECIPE.

BYE
PEARL

kala chandra
24th March 2005, 09:51 AM
Hi Pearl,

It's nice and different to see posting like jams, Guava Cheese, lemon curd,etc. I have seen your postings in tarla dalal.com. they are prety good. Have to open an folder for your recipes too??????!!!!!! :lol:

kala chandra

Niranjana
24th March 2005, 10:44 AM
Hi Pearl! Your recipes look so delicious. I am going to do them all, one by one, once my Summer Hols start!
Thanks for sharing these with us.

ziaxxxxx
25th March 2005, 01:25 AM
hey pearl...thanx for all teh lovely recipes....

Kavitha Ravi
25th March 2005, 01:11 PM
Try this jam, it goes very well with ghee rice

TOMATO JAM
400 gms. ripe red tomatoes, 2 tbsp. ghee or a litle more, 2 one inch cinnamon sticks, 2 star anise, 10 whole cashewnuts broken into quarters, 4 tbsp. sugar or more to taste, 1/2 tsp. salt or to taste, 1 1/2 tbsp. of chilli powder.

Blanch the tomatoes, remove the skins and mash it into pulp with your fingers. Heat a kadai and pour the ghee. When it is hot add the cinnamon sticks and the star anise. When they crackle, add the tomato pulp and chilli powder. Stir till the juices have dried up. Now add the sugar, salt and cashewnuts and stir again till the jam has

JayNat
3rd July 2005, 08:09 PM
Hi Pearl,

I tried apple jam in the method that u had suggested. It came out well. :)

Thanks a lot

Jay