PDA

View Full Version : 'My work is better than Rahman's' - Ismail Darbar

dinesh2002
8th March 2005, 07:27 PM
check what this loose said bout ARR...

'My work is better than Rahman's'

March 08, 2005

Music director Ismail Darbar recently composed music for Subhash Ghai's Kisna.

Though the movie bombed, Kisna's music fared well, and Darbar managed to shine in spite of sharing credit with the legendary A R Rahman.

Darbar believes his work on Kisna was, in fact, better than Rahman's. "My work has always been better than Rahman's. Hum Dil De Chuke Sanam was better than Taal, and Devdas was better than Saathiya," he says.

He tells Contributing Entertainment Correspondent Patcy N how he got Kisna because his work was good. The first of a two-part conversation:

Rahman did not have time to compose the music and Subhashji wanted to start his film. So he approached me. Subhashji had spoken to Rahman earlier about the joint music direction as we did not want any misunderstanding.

I do not usually do movies where there are two music directors. But Kisna was special.

People have told me my work was better than Rahman's in Kisna. No one has told me otherwise. It could be because I have made eight songs while Rahman has created only two.

But my work has always been better than his. Hum Dil De Chuke Sanam was better than Taal. Even Devdas was better than Saathiya.

But it is destiny that he got international fame. Angrezo ne uska haath pakad liya hai toh logo ko lagta hai ke yeh kuch zyada hi hai (Foreigners encouraged him so people think he is very good).

I am not saying this because of jealousy. This is the bitter truth.

More on rediff.com!

Laughter, fireworks greet Indian Idol victory!

On the sets of Gumnaam

Whenever my work is good and he takes the awards, I feel bad.

I wonder why people run after name and fame, and not good work. Kyunki hamare yahan bahut kum akal ke log hai (we have very few intelligent people here). We see some foreigners holding someone's hand, and he becomes a big man.

But the foreigners have also praised my work in Hum Dil De Chuke Sanam and Devdas.

Rahman (below, right) and I have not worked together on any of the Kisna songs. His two songs were recorded even before I started work on the film. I didn't even speak to him for any of the tunes and nor did I listen to his songs before I composed mine.

I was told that Kisna is set in the 1940s. So I started visualising the songs in that period. If there were a qawwali in the nawab's haveli, how would it be? Besides, it should also appeal to the new generation. I am happy I have done justice to the film.

Download Kisna ringtones now!

I have learned music since I was 13 years old. The biggest advantage is that one can create music of any country. Once you listen to its style, you can present the music in your own way. You don't have to steal it.

But for Kisna, I didn't listen to anything. I just looked up what kind of musical instruments were available in those days. Kisna is not like Asoka where the film moved in one direction and the music in another.

If I had done such work, I would have criticised myself. Take Deewangee . When I saw it, I liked it so much that I told director Anees Bazme to remove the song from the film, as that would enhance the movie. But he thought I was joking. I am the type of person that if I don't like my work, I will admit it.

There was a great amount of understanding between Subhashji and me. For example, Kisna had a vocalist Ustad Rashid Khan. We recorded Rashidbhai's voice without any music. But the song was not going to be used in the film. So Subhashji asked me why I was wasting time on this song, as it would not be used.

But I replied we must use a singer as powerful as Rashidbhai.

Later, I thought we should use the song in the film. So I arranged the music according to the film. When Subhashji heard the song, he fell in love with it.

The song, Kahein ujadi moree neend, was used in the beginning of the film, when the titles roll out.

I have launched a new singer Ayesha I Darbar, who also happens to be my wife. She sang the title track, Kisna hai and Chilman.

No one will believe me, but I had composed Chilman in my dream! I had dreamt about this song for three nights! It is my favourite in the movie, and also the toughest.

Subhashji and I worked on the music for 92 days. We don't get satisfied very easily.

I visited on the sets only once -- when the song, Hum brahmasmi, was being picturised on Isha Sharvani.

We actually had another title song in mind, which was finalised. But one day Subhashji came to my house with his assistant and said he wanted to listen to the song again. After he heard it, he decided to do it in a different way. Mein bahut junooni aadmi hoon jab aisa kuch hota hai. Mujhe aisa lagata hai kya aap ek mahine se behere the kya? (I am a very passionate person. When this happened, I wondered if he was deaf for the past month!)

When I started working on the new title track, I asked him to be present for the entire composition. Now, it has become very popular -- Woh Kisna hai.

I get a lot of calls from my fans, who have liked my songs. These are not people from the film industry but common people. It is satisfying that today's generation liked the songs.

People seem to think now that I can create music for period dramas only. I can't change everybody's thinking. If a director comes to me with a new type of music, I will prove myself.

I have learnt to play the violin. It is not difficult for me to make music of any style. I just need to understand it. But I don't feel scared about being typecast in period dramas because making music for such movies requires guts. What I am doing is not easy. God has given me talent.

Don't miss the fireworks. Catch the next part of Patcy N's conversation with Ismail Darbar tomorrow!

http://www.rediff.com/movies/2005/mar/08minter1.htm

Jacky
8th March 2005, 08:44 PM
Hum dil de... is a classic. I still listen to Albela chaman.
I wouldn't say it was better than Taal but something as good as Taal. And Durbar is dumbhead to compare Saathiya and Devdas. Saathiya is modern while Devdas is Melodramatic. If he still wants to compare his work to Saathiya then he must cite Tera jadoo chal gaya but nobody would know what it was actually :)
Durbar is feeling insecure after Bhansali opted ARR for his next project.

magix
8th March 2005, 09:40 PM
Another Anu Malik Mouth in the making.. :)

but at least this dude has the talent.

Querida
9th March 2005, 01:39 AM
Ha! Ismail is hallucinating....anyways what's ironic is I among many could give less of a care...I like each song from each movie for a different reason i do not see one better than another...it's a shame he just repeats the same thing..why doesn't he use his time for ranting to truly try and be better than Rehman? :roll:

Thiru
9th March 2005, 08:15 AM
another example of 'Empty vessels make more noise'... Have u seen any good MD comparing himself with others in the media? only these half-baked MDs like S.A. Rajkumar, ismail, Bharathwaj talk as if they are no.1...

Cindy
9th March 2005, 02:47 PM
check this out about this guy. no wonder he is making all such comments.

http://ww.smashits.com/index.cfm?Page=Reviews&Subpage=bigarticle&ID=3860

genesis
9th March 2005, 07:18 PM
Bollywood is a different place. I guess he is attempting for some publicity. The next thing we will know, some reporter from Bollywood will ask ARR comments on this. He would say something.. you will read it, so you will remember Ismail's name.

Basically cheap publicity.....

NagaS
9th March 2005, 08:04 PM
I have heard someplace this fellow learned music from IR or worked as an assistant to IR. I think he picked-up some bad traits from IR

Friend, this is totally unwanted thing that you are starting - do you have any evidence of IR comparing himself with any of other MDs and claiming him to be number one or something ? why drag him unnecessarily into this ?

Nagas

vijayr
9th March 2005, 08:19 PM
After Bharadwaj, another "vayatherichal" case to openly compare himself with Rahman :-) I guess all these guys can do is just sit in a corner and look on in envy as Rahman sets new trends and grabs all the prestigious projects.

kbee
9th March 2005, 08:55 PM
Guys, dont compare any MD with any MD. If Bharadwaj is comparing himself with Rahman, then its a shame on him.

IR is a trend setter. He turned Hindi listening tamil ppl to listen Tamil songs.

Rahman is another trend setter, he turned hindi listeners to listen tamil songs. They are LEGENDS. Dont waste your time by comparing them with any one.

Both IR and Rahman are composers. Others are music directors. Note the differences between them.

MumbaiRamki
10th March 2005, 01:19 AM
genesis wrote:
I have heard someplace this fellow learned music from IR or worked as an assistant to IR. I think he picked-up some bad traits from IR

____

genssis ,
The guy whom u are refrring is uttam singh !!!

MADDY
10th March 2005, 12:31 PM
I dunt think Ismail wud have said something like this.....cos i have seen him in an interview saying that he was happy whenever he loses to ARR on awards....he also told that ARR is very inspirational to all upcoming MDs.....
dunt believe in rediff too much......if he had said such a thing then it is very unfortunate and it wud seem Northie musicians just cant digest ARR's huge popularity......

Thiru
10th March 2005, 11:40 PM
Part 2 of his interview... This time he takes on Bansali.. .

http://us.rediff.com/movies/2005/mar/10darbar.htm

Jacky
11th March 2005, 02:28 AM
http://www.rediff.com/entertai/2002/jul/22monty.htm

Probably Durbar was lying when he said he worked with Ghai and that irked Bhansali.

alias
11th March 2005, 02:55 AM
ARR was praising Ismail for Kisna in one of his interview but this guy is inturn cursing him. what a world. Should be punished with bajirao mastani going to ARR which is unlikely because Monty the composer of Black might be in for Bajirao Mastani too.

Arjuna
12th March 2005, 01:13 AM
bharadwaj, Karthik raja are the biggest vaitherichal cases in TFM..I saw an interview of KR - where he says ARR takes a lot from the POP - when he was asked what he thinks of ARR!! That's y he is no where to be seen - lol!

MumbaiRamki
12th March 2005, 03:55 AM
Arjuna ,
What KR said is this - ARR is inspired a lot from the POP music ( just as KR is inspired from western /Carnatic - Infact in some of teh songs the he has retained that inspiration as such - but some peopel call it as copying - i don't buy that argument ) .He does have lot of respect for ARR.

I guess you misunderstood it as KR saying ARR copies Pop music !

A.ANAND
12th March 2005, 09:47 AM
more 'vaitherical MD'in list is
1.illayaraja
2.baratwaj
3.s.a.rajkumar
4.gangai amaran

Arjuna
20th March 2005, 03:23 AM
Listen to BOSE and u will all know y our thalai ARR is GOD!!

vincent
30th March 2005, 02:50 PM
Listen to BOSE and u will all know y our thalai ARR is GOD!!
NEE ROMBE OVERA PORE
PERECHENE VENA! :twisted:

Arjuna
30th March 2005, 07:56 PM
I guess Vincent must be either YSR or KR!! Both dont have any work sitting at home and typing bullshit!!

vincent
7th April 2005, 11:42 AM
arjuna,
don't say that arr is thalai
ajith fanz will get mad on u