PDA

View Full Version : Unforgettable incidents.

blahblah
4th March 2005, 04:59 PM
Reminiscences-they are gems of the past,which let us relive those old days when we lived each moment to the full.Some of the things we did were pointless and we may not repeat them,given a chance.Some we made happen and some others happened to us.However we hold them precious and like all those memories.So this is your place to let out the baggage :wink: .

I will start with one:

When we were all little boys and were in school,I took a particular liking for the 'fancy cake and cool drinks' which were sold at the bakery near to our school.We were three brothers and my elder brother didn't show any regret for my particular habit as he found it amusing to join in.As it is, my pocket money was too small and my father didn't approve of eating anything other than fruits,unless brought from home.So as a young boy of 10 years,I found it convenient to steal a two or five rupee note once in a while from my father's money box to feed my necessity.

One morning I managed to pick up a new two rupee note while he was busy with the newspaper.However he soon found out,called the three of us and told us generally to confess.The school bus was about to come but he didn't let us go.He said someone has to own up or else he is not going to let us go to school that day.I denied having anything to do with it fearing his anger and later as per my mother's recommendation we were allowed to go.I told my brother later ,who scolded me, but shared the cake! :roll:

Still,this thing wounded me deep in my heart.Two years later my father died of cancer.I know that I always wanted to tell him about this but simply couldn't gather the courage to do it.And I didn't know that he will die!I never got another chance to say I was sorry!

Years later as a grown up man,I confessed it to my mother.As I did so,tears rolled down my cheeks.My mother told me not to take it so seriously.She said it was a little mistake that could happen to any child and that she has forgiven me on behalf of my father.She said he would have understood if he was alive.

Since that day I haven't stolen anything from anyone.And I will not ever do so again.

Roshan
4th March 2005, 05:11 PM
blahblah,

That brought tears to my eyes !! :cry: Thanks for sharing. It has a nice message.

Raghu
4th March 2005, 06:30 PM
Blah Blah,

That is sad, that reminds of something, when I was about 10 in Jaffna, My grandma (mum's mum) she was about 66, she asked me to take some coconuts to the temple, I refused and made a big fuss about it, so she took the coconut to the temple and half an hour later, on her way back she died on the street due to heart attack, she was crying for water, but none of our family members were near her at that time, as we did not know! but our neighbours heard it and ran with water, but by that time, the 'ATHMA' has Departed the perishable body

:cry: :cry: :cry:

nirosha sen
4th March 2005, 07:33 PM
Oh, Oh!! Another Oprah Winfrey style confession, Pa???? You'll have to wait before I fess up, Pa!! The wounds are too deep sometime, that they'll take time to re-surface. :(

But in the meantime, I'm touched to be privy to your heart-wrenching tales, Pa!!

Thank you Blah-Blah and Raghu! :)

blahblah
4th March 2005, 07:55 PM
Oh, Oh!! Another Oprah Winfrey style confession, Pa????

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: Make fun of a serious issue,eh?

Shakthiprabha.
4th March 2005, 11:47 PM
I am too sleepy, tomm I shall say my confessions ( I have quite a lot hehe).

I am sure, many hubbers would know about me belittling dad's office boy, which earned a TIGHT SLAP from my dad.

Became a good girl after that (wont repeat that incident and bore u all..)

I would come up with another (noooooooo not story :D) such
incident tommorrow.

blahblah, I felt deeply touched, not by the incident, but
by the deep wound u have for never having confessed to ur
dad.

Believe me, if he had heard, he would have been proud of
his son for having the courage to confess. We all commit mistakes. WE all grow up :)

hehehewalrus
5th March 2005, 12:06 AM
hmmm, confessions everywhere. I am sure there must be many heart-warming moments too.

I remember visiting my uncle who was an asthmatic with my parents when I was 8. We went to see him at my grandpa's home on a working day and my parents took me alone, without my siblings. My uncle talked for a while and then slept and I felt so lonely there among the grown-ups that working day, for it was a place where we kids had several happy times during vacations. I wandered around the place in lonely fashion, often staring at my sleeping uncle and wondering why everything seemed so desolate, wondering why he wasnt his usual self the past few months. Amid the encircling gloom, I was groping to realise he would leave us after 2 months, that was the last I saw of him :(

After I graduated and left home to join my company over a thousand miles from home, I recollected some of my arguements and disagreements with several of my near and dear ones, friends and enemies. I analysed the past and wrote emails of apology to some of them. Most of all, I wrote a long letter to my dad with whom I was not on speaking terms for some months, apologising profusely for my arguments - not as much as the issue but the manner I which I argued. I AM VERY GLAD NOW AND MIGHTILY RELIEVED ALL MY LIFE for getting an opportunity to do that. My dad passed away within 2 years of that and we had some wonderful times together after that letter, prior to his passing away, often enjoying good food, movies, tv programs. It is inevitable for us to get employed away from home or across the seas but it is never too late to apologise, nobody is perfect.

nirosha sen
6th March 2005, 07:19 PM
Oh that was just wonderful Walrus!! I'm glad that at least your Dad had sometime to spend with you.

Thank you for sharing that!

Blah-Blah : You know I was only trying to lighten up the gloom Pa!! :D I'm deeply honoured that you even decided to write and share it here! :)

scorpio
7th March 2005, 11:06 AM
Nice thread BlahBlah!!

One unforgettable incident of mine which thought me not to take anything for free without paying the price for it!

Playing in the nearby Pillaiyar temple was a favourite pastime for me and my sister. One evening, as we were playing in the fairly deserted temple, we saw a devotee offering 'sathur thenkai' (breaking a coconut as an offering) to Pillaiyar. I was immediately tempted at the sight of big 'thenkai' which in fact, did not break into litle pieces and was largely intact. When no one was looking, I stealthily grabbed all big pieces and curled them up in my paavadai. Took my sister's hand and started walking towards our house drooling at eating 'Coconut thuvayal' for the dinner. As unfortunate I can get, my dad had reached home early and saw us entering with me grabbing my paavadai up. He asked what was inside. I proudly told him how I managed to get the coconut that was offered at the temple before anyone else managed and how nice 'coconut thuvayal' will be to eat with curd rice! Just remember one loud SMACK! My dad was furious at my behaviour and ordered me to put back all the coconut pieces back in temple! Though I was crying all along the road and did as he told me, I realised one thing- Never take anything for free.

Needless to say, I always kept away whenever anybody offered 'Sathur thenkai's to the Pillaiyar then on!

jaiganes
7th March 2005, 11:15 AM
I would have taken the tuvayal anyday!!
But thats me... :wink: :lol: :lol:

nirosha sen
7th March 2005, 11:19 AM
Scorpio - I'm sure there was no harm in you taking home the broken pieces of thenggai, Pa!! But we have something called, "Dhravida roshum" which probably why your father was so angered!!

"Sol thangga maatar Tamilian"!! :(

Badri
7th March 2005, 11:21 AM
Dhravida roshum

Good grief! I hope people don't seize that up and start one more of their aryan-dravidan rants!!

jaiganes
7th March 2005, 11:26 AM
badri wrote:

hope people don't seize that up and start one more of their aryan-dravidan rants
Forget that! one more incident with which we can roast scorpio akka!! :lol:

Badri
7th March 2005, 11:28 AM
jg wrote:

one more incident with which we can roast scorpio akka

Roast and make a thuvayal of her, you mean???? :lol:

jaiganes
7th March 2005, 11:37 AM
appropos!!

scorpio
7th March 2005, 12:15 PM
Scorpio - I'm sure there was no harm in you taking home the broken pieces of thenggai, Pa!! But we have something called, "Dhravida roshum" which probably why your father was so angered!!

"Sol thangga maatar Tamilian"!! :(

Niro,

Not sure if it was 'Roshum' or whatever, I got a big lecture on 'Uzhaippu' and to get anything I want only by hardwork and not thru' the shortcut way. The message is so deep that even when I buy things now, I never get carried by 'freebies' and only look for quality!

Hmmm. as usual, I see my thambi kootam busy in this thread too!!!

Badri
7th March 2005, 12:18 PM
Akka pogum idam ellam thambigal varuvar....haven't you heard that one?

but on a serious note, surprising isnt it, how these childhood memories go towards shaping our entire life, the choices we make etc?

I am afraid I dont really recall any such unforgettable incidents, in my life but this is a nice thread.

Thanks to the blahblah bunny for initiating it.

blahblah
7th March 2005, 01:07 PM
Thanks to the blahblah bunny for initiating it.

Thanks,badri potbelly! :D

However it was not my intention to keep this thread to confessions,but to all unforgettable incidents.I will come out with another:

Long after my father passed away,one night I took up an argument with my mother.Since both of us were really annoyed and disturbed we went to bed without food.However sleep failed me.I picked up an old copy of Readers Digest and as I was goingthrough it I happened to see a simple article about the relationship between a mother and daughter from the daughter's perspective.

It described how they had a little argument and the daughter later repented to realise that she was being ungrateful to her mom.At this point she felt that the love she has for her mother should be expressed.
She goes back to her mother and tells her what she means to her,howmuch she loves her and how grateful she was to God for having a mother like her. At this point she notices a little moisture in her mother's eyes.The next morning the daughter was pleasantly surprised to hear her mother humming a tune in the kitchen,which she had not heard for a long time,after her father's death.

With a sudden inspiration I spent the next hour,translating this story to Malayalam.Since I couldn't wait till morning I woke up my mother from sleep and told her I was sorry.I told her that I really loved her.Then I handed over two little sheets of paper from my note book,which she read then and there.

I can tell you that a very happy mother and son went to sleep that night after a much delayed supper. :)

nirosha sen
7th March 2005, 06:45 PM
Oh that was so sweet, Blah-Blah Monoo!! Thank you so much for sharing it, Pa!! :D