PDA

View Full Version : Can someone help me make Milk Sweets

ShivShanth
3rd March 2005, 01:02 AM
Hi,
My husband just loves milk sweets and I have tried making them,but it is always a disaster. Actually I am not good making any type of sweets that involve sakkarai thanni patham.

I do not get khova here (US). What else can I substitute for it? Can someone please post a few simple recipes and tips.

Thanks in advance.

kavithasenthil
3rd March 2005, 02:15 AM
Why don't you try Mrs.Mano's Microwave palgova?
It will be awesome.

PALGOVA [MICROWAVE]
Add 1 tin condensed milk[450gms to 500gms], 9tbsp full cream milk powder, and 2tbsp fresh curd to a microwave bowl and mix with a spoon thoroughly. Microwave it in HIGH for 3 minutes at first. Then take the bowl out of the oven and mix well. Then again microwave it for 11/2 to 2 minutes in HIGH. Then if you need, you must microwave it for some more minutes. But do not forget to take it out and mix well after every minute.

Try. You won't be disappointed.

dev
3rd March 2005, 07:25 AM
Hi,

Try out this recipe...the simplest ever...

100 ml rice(normal ponni rice used for everyday cooking)
1 litre milk
1/4 ltre water
Sugar-per taste

1.Put the rice,water & 250 ml milk in a cooker & cook for 5 whistles. Let
rest until steam goes off completely....

2.Now open the cooker & add the 500ml milk,req sugar & cook for further 10 mins until u get the required consistency... (Add the rest of the milk if req...)

3.let cool & place it in the fridge for 3-4hrs...Serve chilled....

Though this recipe doesn't have anything other than milk,sugar & rice,U'll be amazed at the taste...try it & let me know...:)

dev
3rd March 2005, 12:13 PM
U can also use leftover cooked rice...follow the same method but don't add water...add milk & cook in the cooker for 2-3 whistles...add sugar & simmer for 10 mins...Serve chilled...

tomato
3rd March 2005, 02:07 PM
Rasmalai
One small tin haldiram rasgolla ( 10pcs)
1 lt milk
1/2 cup sugar (0r to taste)
2-3 tbs mtr badam milk masala (or ground cardomom, soaked kesar and fine slivers of almonds soaked in water )

Put milk to boil in a heavy bottomed vessel. Add sugar. Stir ocassionally and reduce somewhat. Add milk masala and boil for 5 more mins.
Sqeeze out the syrup from rasagollas by cupping them between ur fingers and palm. Put them in a bowl of warm water and againg sqeeze out the water taking care not to break the rasagollas.
Put these in the hot rabdi (prepared milk). Allow to cool and chill before serving.

Vermicilli kheer

1/2 cup bambino vermicilli
2-3 tbs ghee
500ml milk
sugar to taste
4-5 cardomom powdered
A few strands of saffron ( soaked in a tbs of hot milk)

In a kadai heat ghee. Add vermicilli to it and roast till it turns golden brown. remove and keep aside. In the same pan boil milk. Add sugar and boil till it dissolves. Then add the roasted vermicilli. U can also add bits of cashewnuts anf raisins at this point. Cook for 3-4 mins stirring occasionally. remove from heat and add cardomom pow and saffron and mix well. This can be served either hot or chilled.

ziaxxxxx
6th March 2005, 07:43 AM
hey...i have two very simple dishes..and both use the same dough !

to make balls for gulab jamun and ras malai 'pedas' ...you use the same dough as i have given below :

1 cup milk powder
1 tsp ghee
3/4 to 1 tsp baking powder
1 egg

mix this dough well and make small balls.

FOR GULAB JAMUN:

1) make sugar syrup with 2 cups sugar and 2 cups water. add few seeds of cardomom ( around 1/2 tsp ) and boil, till you reach one string stickiness of suryp. switch off stove.
Preferably , Try and make this syrup before making the dough balls.

2) after making small balls , deep fry these balls in oil till golden. immediately put these balls into the hot sugar syrup .

let balls soak properly ( takes few hours) and then serve .

FOR RAS MALAI:

1) its preferable here that ., the balls be made first , as milk gets boiled faster .
2) boil milk ( around 1 litre ) add required amout of sugar., also add few drops kewra essence .
when milk starts bubbling , add the balls to the boiling milk( or flatten them with your palm to make it luk like peda ) and keep boiling till the balls fluff up in size . ( sumtimes , a ball may break offf, this is also indication that ras malai is made ).
switch off stove immediately.

let it cool and garnish wit pista , sliced alomnds etc and serve chiilled.

Both these recipes have never failed me!!

deepali128
6th March 2005, 09:36 AM
Dear Zia,

i liked ur quick receipes for jamoon's and ras malai peda's. i got 1 doubt.
i need to put egg yolk or whole,does it smell?

ziaxxxxx
7th March 2005, 06:33 AM
thanx fer liking recipes.

when you make the dough , it does smell slightly ..but sfter frying it and adding it to sugar syrup ( in the case of gulab jamun) or adding it to boiling milk ( in caxse of ras mailai) ..the smell goes away...you only want to think of having more and more of the sweet dish!!!!!

you have to put the whole egg in it and mix welll...

deepali128
7th March 2005, 07:36 AM
dear zia,

thanks a lot!! i will definately try it and let u know.

regards

deepali

dev
7th March 2005, 08:36 AM
Hi Ziaxxx,

Can I use non-fat milk powder or should I use full fat milk powder only?

US
7th March 2005, 10:05 AM
Hi Ziaxxx, I really want to try ur jamun and rasamalai recipes. But is it compulsory to use eggs. Please clarify on this since we dont consume eggs.

ShivShanth
8th March 2005, 03:21 AM
Had some computer problems. Logged in today and saw all the wonderful reciepes. Thank you all guys. Will definitly let you know how these sweets turned out. Thanks for taking the time to reply. :D

ziaxxxxx
8th March 2005, 08:07 PM
thanx evryone for appraciating the recipes....

US , i kno of one more recipe for gulab jamun , though you dont need to use eggs , you will need to use yoghrt in it.

let me know if thats ok...then i'l post the recipe .

as for using low fat milk powder...never tried it before....so MAYBE wht'l work is if you use full fat n lowfat milk to make balls..its just a tip.. i havent tried it as yet...pls try it out n letme know abt it...

di
8th March 2005, 11:46 PM
hi tomato,
i tried the rasmalai using store bought rasagullas...it came out great! thanks for the quick recipe!

Shanthy
29th March 2005, 03:41 PM
Hi ziaxxxxx
Thank you for sharing your simple ras malai recipe. I made it for the first time and it came really well. Thank you again.

Shanthy

US
29th March 2005, 08:42 PM
Hi ziaxxxxx, I also want to try out these recipes... Please do post the recipe using yoghurt.

Thanks

ziaxxxxx
31st March 2005, 11:51 PM
for making gulab jamun , using yoghurt :

1 cup milk powder
2 tbsp semolina / sooji ( levelled)
2 tbsp maida / plain flour (levelled)
2 tbsp dahi (curd)
1 tsp baking powder
1 tbsp ghee
oil to fry
1/2 tsp illaichi powder

mix toegtehr milk powder , semolina , maida , baking powder . mix well. add ghee and mix nicely. kneadwell with curd. make small balls. deep fry them on low fire till glden brown.
immediately dip them in hot sugar syrup.

SUGAR SYRUP:
1) make sugar syrup with 2 cups sugar and 2 cups water. add few seeds of cardomom ( around 1/2 tsp ) and boil, till you reach one string stickiness of suryp. switch off stove.
Preferably , Try and make this syrup before making the dough balls.

2) after deep frying the balls in oil till golden. immediately put these balls into the hot sugar syrup .

let balls soak properly ( takes few hours) and then serve . hope u tryy this recipe out US..

thankyou shanthy for hte compliments..i'm glad that you enjoyed the ras malai.

US
1st April 2005, 12:17 AM
Thanks ziaxxxxx for the recipe. can the same balls be used to make ras malai using the procedure given before using eggs..

Regards
US

ziaxxxxx
1st April 2005, 12:47 AM
well US..sorry but i havent tried using the gulab jamun dough for ras mmalai.

US
1st April 2005, 02:59 AM
oh, however is there a fool-proof method which can be followed for making ras malai's at home without using eggs. sorry to bother you on this again and again but i really want to try out ras malais in home.

Regards

Hemant Trived1
2nd April 2005, 11:29 AM
Hello US,
Where are you ? In US or India ?
I can suggest you recipes based on your position.

US
2nd April 2005, 09:44 PM
I am in US only ziaxxxxx....

ziaxxxxx
12th April 2005, 03:05 AM
sorry. US..chked this page just now.. ./.i don kno of any ohter recipe for ras malai other than hte one i posted...y don u chk other sites for this recipe ??? i rember reading of one recipe using ricotta cheese...mayb u can chk out sites like bawarchi.com for more info

US
13th April 2005, 05:20 AM
oh thanks ziaxxxxx, i will try searching the recipe..

Noodles
19th April 2005, 03:34 PM
I will send u a collection of Milk sweet recipes, pls give me ur email id.