PDA

View Full Version : G.Ramanathan

Oldposts
26th February 2005, 11:51 AM
Topic started by Udhaya (udhayak@yahoo.com) (@ 207.218.76.4) on Fri Dec 18 22:03:13 EST 1998.
<font size="-1">All times in EST +10:30 for IST.</font>
<hr>

Oldposts
http://tfmpage.com/forum/12249.19:43:36.html
This is just a reference since it mainly talks about his filmography.

Oldposts
I want a separate thread for Creativity of GR. It's not asking for much since the DF landscape is entirely smothered with IR and ARR. This would make people realize that Thamizh Film Music was around before these two contemporaries.

Oldposts
Udhaya: I too support it. I just posted this link so that people can remind themselves of his films, if needed and not start a discussion on that again.

Oldposts
I was recently listening again to 'yaaradi nee mohini' from uthamapuththiran. WOW! A real foot tapper.. one of the best such songs I have heard. I cannot comment on the styles he has adapted in this etc.. maybe some one more knowledgeable can help out here... I am sure there is some kind of western influence in this song. I really mean influence and not "influence" . :-)

Oldposts
munnazhagu kanniyargal is a fantstic seduction type song of those days. i like the in between stanzas too. the tune is really pleasing. u get seduced too along with sivaji ganesan!!!

G.Ramanathan also effectively uses kaanada in the song'mullai malar meele' from the same film. another pleasing melody!

Oldposts
Well, if you're looking for comparisons to contemporary composers - he too recycled his tunes (creatively).
e.g. dheena karunakarane nataraja neelakantane (MKT, ashok kumar) reappeared in madurai veeran as yEchi pizhaikkum vaazhve sarithaanaa ennippaarunga (TMS, PLeela).

Oldposts
GR was AFAIK, the first MD to use the raga Charukesi in film music. The song 'manmadha lIlaiyai venRAr uNdO' was acknowledged to be a good charukesi even by renowned musicians. I think he used a lot of Maand, and I can recall at least 3 instances of Kurinji in his compositions. His BGM was very ordinary, IMHO.

G.Ramaswamy

Oldposts
GR: During most of GR's era, people had to score BGM while the movie was being filmed i.e. live BGM, not to mntion live recording of songs. That might have hampered his style and might not have allowed him to develop his BGM skill during later days also. (I am sure duirng Uththamapuththiran days, re-recording was available.)

Oldposts
GR followed it up with a another great Charukesi number, "Vasantha Mullai pole vanthu" sung by TMS. His Maand creation that comes to mind is "Ulavum thendral kaatrinile" with a waltz beat.
Did you notice that some of his songs had just one charanam ie one large stanza only like the above song, "Vaarai Nee Vaarai", "Ullam rendum ondru" (sung by CS Jayaraman and Jikki) in "Puthumai Pithan".

His "Varaamuthe" in "Ambikapathy" is the first love duet set to Mugari.

His "Kangalaal kaathal kaaviyam" in "Sarangathaara" had a fastish waltz beat with very short "santhams", a very good song.

An interesting fact to note is that GR and VR scored music for some movies together.

Oldposts
G. Ramanathan, SV VEngkatraman and CR Subbaraman are still called the "Thamizh thirai Isayin Mummoorthikal". The only film that had all these three genius composers working together is "Parijatham" They were all genius in their own ways, but SVV and CRS acknowledged GR as the "Isai Methai". GR always made it a point to come out with some tunes that are unique in some ways. Volumes could be written about GR, but let me just say within the limitaions in this thread. G Ramanathan's father was Gobalsamy Iyer who worked as sub-inspector in the Indian Railways. GR studied till standard 5. He married in 1942 and has 2 sons-one is Sai and the other is Baba. He himself is a devotee of Sai Baba and this is reflected in naming his sons. At the age of 18 he joined the Baratha Gana Saba, a drama troupe and played harmonium. Then he joined the famous VA Sellappa Drama company, and sang playback apart from playing harmonium. In 1932 a Tamil film called "Kalavarishi" was produced in Calcutta. That was the film where he first played musical instrument. When MKT produced Sathyaseelan in Bombay GR became the MD for that film. Next he was the MD for the old Vipranarayana. The first film to be produced in Madras with GR as the MD was Poogailas, followed by Parasuraman and Boologa Rambai(old). When Modern Theatres started to take movies almost all movies went to GR for music direction except a few such as Kaithi Kannayiram and Vannakkili where KVM directed the music. In Aayiram Thalai Vangiya Aboorva Chintamani he acted as the Sanyasi. GR never had proper training in carnatic music. It was all "keLvi gnanam". But later he picked up tremendous liking for the carnatic music and excelled in it to the astonishment of many vidvans. At a time when it used to be thought that cine music would never equal the pure form of carnatic music, the song "Manmatha Leelaiyai venRAr uNdO" proved otherwise. (Please refer to my article on MKT for details) Under various MDs of the later period light music became popular. But GR's music was not termed "light" in the strict sense of the word. Most of his songs were singled out as "semi classic". He believed that only music that had the carnatic base could endure. He was a great lover of the golden voice of GN Balasubramaniam, MLV, Maharajapuram Visvanatha Iyer, MKT and the Hindi film MD- Noushad. He himself had been a very good singer. He took his own film "Puthu Yugam" but was unfortunately an utter flop. In the cine field he loved the golden voice of the all time greatest MKT. Many times, while listening to the record of MKT GR lost himslef. Firstly he could not believe that he himself had been the composer of these soul-stirring songs, and secondly he could not believe that MKT could sing to the extent of mesmerising the MD himself. In one of the early interviews of GR he had mentioned that it was only MKT who could "deliver" what was expected of any singer. GR always went for excellence in any singer. That is why TMS mentioned that if one could sijng to the satisfaction and the tune of GR you could easily sing for the tune of any MD in any part of the world. Unlike other MDs GR used to sing out the songs before recording. GR became the MD when stage dramas were equally popular ie in the 1940s. He had to balance between the cinema and the stage dramas. In those days very few films were produced, but these films had far too many songs. It was conditional that the cine songs of those day had to be composed to the basic carnatic tune. The cinema companies used to provide food and accommodation to the MDs and singers in those days. They used to be kept under "house arrest" in the special studios for days. They practised the songs- at least for a week. During these days the singers were given special food to ensure that their voice do not get spoilt. The singers used to get up at dawn and take oil bath. They used to be consume special oil to smoothen their throat. To cut the story short, this is the atmosphere in which GR started his career in the cine field. The influence of drama music was always there in his films. A few examples of tunes lifted from drama songs: 1. Sarasarani Kalyani-Raja Desing 2. Vanamevum Rajakumara-Raja Desing 3. Anbe En Aaruyire- Kaveri 4. Thene Unnai thedi thedi-Ambikapathi 5. many of the Thooku Thooki songs etc etc etc... But he died at a time when music was becoming "lighter". His last film was "Deivathin Deivam" by KSG. GR's greatest talent was that he was able to compose tunes suiting the storyline as well as the period of production of the films. In the said last film he gave various moods. 1.Bharathiyar's "Kannan Mananilayiai Thangame Thangam- kandu vara vendumadi thangame thangam.(SJ) 2. Male solo- Kannukkul Ethanai Vellamadi(TMS) 3. Female Solo- Nee illatha ulagathile Nimmati Illai(PS) 4. Sad song- Paattu Paada Vaiyeduthen Elolo(PS) 5. Two ladies- Anname Sornamey...(PS&SJ) 6. Love duet with modern touch- Ennaruyire Kanivanamuthey...(PBS&SJ) There was alos a kachery by Seetrgazhi Govindarajan. Unfortunately he died of heart attack after the he had started composing for the film Arunakirinathar. Then T.R. Paappa completed it. Therfore the last film of GR was Deivathin Deivam. Matravai Oivu Irukkumpothu Manisekaran

Oldposts
Manisekaran,
Thanks for dignifying this thread with your amazing contribution. Now, I'm so glad to have started this thread.

Oldposts
Interesting stuff, Mani. I thought that "Arunagirinaathar" was GR's last movie in which TMS acted and sang for a paltry sum of Rs.15000 ( as a goodwill gesture towards GR). "Muthaithiru", "Aadavendum Mayile" were popular but GR died leaving his work to be continued by TR Papa who lifted "Tasveer Teri Dil me " from the Hindi film "Maya" and reproduced it as "Nilavo" sung by TMS and PS. "Deivathin Deivam" had a brilliant song sung by PS "Neeyillaatha Ulagathile" with compulsive flute pieces elevating the tune. Who can forget "Kaatru Veliyidai Kannamma" ? His favourite after MKT was TMS on whom he is said to have written an article called "Soundarabaranam" in Vikatan (???). Interesting to note that he was an admirer of Naushad. Naushad himself was said to have been bowled over by SVV's compositions in "Meera" (sung by MSS) and personally welcomed SVV in Bombay.

Oldposts
A small collection of songs tuned by GRamanathan
have been uploaded in the PPP Real Audio page...

http://members.xoom.com/ppp_songs/gr.html (http://members.xoom.com/ppp_songs/gr.html
)

Hopefully, listening to these songs will stimulate
more discussion about the great composer's works.
<a name="last"></a>

vickbabu
8th May 2005, 08:59 AM
I was recently listening again to 'yaaradi nee mohini' from uthamapuththiran. WOW! A real foot tapper.. I am sure there is some kind of western influence in this song.

Wow indeed. The kind of music they produced way back when. Its a perfect fusion of skat and jazz influences near the end of the song. Why are young asians (myself incl.) creating such crap that passes for fusion these days, are we cretivity crippled. Can someone please recommend similar tracks, pls see my thread Deppangethu & Rock, Jazz Fusion.

Manisekaran
1st July 2005, 08:05 AM
Before my time is over, I want to do a full write up on Isai Medhai G. Ramanathan. Kanavu Meippada Vendum!

Manisekaran

NOV
1st July 2005, 08:11 AM
... and we will anxiously wait for it! 8)
kaaththiruppaan kamala kannan ... (NOV actually!)

S.Balaji
25th July 2005, 06:36 PM
GR was AFAIK, the first MD to use the raga Charukesi in film music. The song 'manmadha lIlaiyai venRAr uNdO' was acknowledged to be a good charukesi even by renowned musicians. I think he used a lot of Maand, and I can recall at least 3 instances of Kurinji in his compositions. His BGM was very ordinary, IMHO.

G.Ramaswamy

GR is well known for his Carnatic base.

Vasantha mullai polay vandhu - Charukesi only

Mullai malar malay - Kanada

Maasilaa nilavay nam - Maand ragam

Sindhanai sei manamay - Kalyani

He was the intermediary between MKT and the next generation.

SM subbaih nayudu and GR were contemproraries

Great musician

gaddeswarup
15th March 2006, 03:09 PM
I tried this question in another thread. Here it is again:
"I came across the name G.Ramanathan who composed music for a western (American?) film called "The Jungle" (1952). He might have even won an award for that. Is he the same person who composed music for Tamil and Telugu films? It is possible that the answer is already somewhere in the HUB."

rajraj
17th March 2006, 08:23 AM
Swarup: The movie in Tamil was 'kaadu' (jungle).

http://www.hinduonnet.com/thehindu/fr/2003/11/21/stories/2003112101020100.htm

http://entertainment.msn.com/movies/movie.aspx?m=174037

gaddeswarup
17th March 2006, 09:56 AM
Rajraj,
Many thanks. I heard his name recently in a different context. Ghantasala composed the music for "Sarangadhara" and there was an interesting song by Bhanumati in that film. VAK Rangarao in a compilation of Bhanumati's songs credited it to Ramanathan. There was some discussion about it in a telugu site oldtelugusongs. So, I was cutious about the name ans found "The Jungle". By all accounts, he seems to have been a talented composer and singer. Thanks again.
swarup

rajraj
17th March 2006, 10:55 AM
swarup: saarangadhaaraa was produced in Tamil and Telugu at the same time with Ramanathan as the music director for the Tamil version. It is quiet possible that they used one of GR's tunes in the Telugu version. It was not uncommon in those days!

shalushalu
1st July 2006, 03:26 PM
I watched a show on Jaya TV sometime back. Something that sounded like "G.R-ril Irunthu A.R Varai". 5 hours of absolute beautiful songs.
Has anyone seen the same ??
:roll: :roll:

Manisekaran
17th July 2006, 08:55 PM
banumathy sings the following in Sarangathara:

1) Atputha kaatchi Onru Kanden

s ramaswamy
22nd July 2006, 11:24 AM
Kangalal oru kaaviyam by tms and jikki is an excellent duet. the bgm by the one and only gr is superb, with flute used extensively and the mellifluous voices of jikki and tms enhance this duet. Hear the way tms goes to high pitch without any 'pisiru' which reminds one of the words uttered by msv that even if you give tms one crore of rupees he will not deviate from sruthi.

in fact this is among one of the top duets sung by this duo who have sung perhaps ten in all. would like someone to list these. the duo never sang together after a m raja became an md, i think. all their duets were pre 1958 or so, i imagine.

S.Balaji
23rd July 2006, 04:03 PM
Rajraj

Can you throw some light on how GR composed YAARADEE NEE MOHINI - a path breaking song !

Probably that could be the first of the western type composition in TFM ?

Mr. Manisegaran,

Pl make a start about the great GR !

Aavaludan edhirparkirom !

s ramaswamy
23rd July 2006, 08:18 PM
which are the films these tms-jikki songs are from:

enintha iravu enintha nilavu
sinnam siru vayathu muthal sernthu naam ..

Both are very melodious ones.

rajraj
26th July 2006, 10:21 PM
Rajraj

Can you throw some light on how GR composed YAARADEE NEE MOHINI - a path breaking song !

Probably that could be the first of the western type composition in TFM?

Balaji,
I don't know how GR came up with that tune. But, it is not the first song based on western music/tune. The song 'chinna peNNaana podhile' sung by Jikki is in the same tune as 'que sera sera' sung by Doris Day. It was popular in the 50s. There is also another song based on a western tune that predates 'yaaradi nee mohini'.

Nakeeran
26th September 2006, 02:30 PM
While the whole tamil fraternity are mourning the demise of great Natiya Peroli Padmini, I thought it will be appropriate to give the link for UTTAMA PUTHIRAN.

All songs are superb . GR gave a western compo also for Yaaradee nee mohini.

The climax song UNAZAGAI KANNIYARGAL, I wish to pick today :

Here is the link for the songs :

http://www.dishant.com/album/Uthama-Puthiran.html

Excellent orchestration by GR !

Nakeeran
3rd December 2006, 01:17 PM
Sometime back, Mr.Manisegaran expressed his desire / life ambition to write articles about the legendary G.Ramanathan.

Can you pls. start here sir ? I have great respect for GR. IMO, one of the greatest composers of the previous century and a pioneer carnatic based compos.

Expecting a great start from you Mr. Manisegaran.

Manisekaran
4th December 2006, 11:11 AM
G. Ramanathan is my favourite Music Director. Not much has been adequately written about this great genius. He is very much an unsung hero. many had been asking me to write. Should start soon- God Willing.

It is a case of old is GOLD! Will there be sufficient number of readers?

Thank you.
Manisekaran

Nakeeran
4th December 2006, 04:34 PM
G. Ramanathan is my favourite Music Director. Not much has been adequately written about this great genius. He is very much an unsung hero. many had been asking me to write. Should start soon- God Willing.

Thank you.
Manisekaran

We are keen to hear from you Mr. Manisekaran. Its worth even if there are few readers . Pl start soon . :D

We would like to know more about the scenario prevailed then and what ragas he used and under what situation. How those creative thoughts became tunes etc, all we wish to know.
I am sure you will cover Uthama puthiran also , especially the song Yaradee nee mohini.

Also write about MSV once you are through with GR.

Nakeeran
15th December 2006, 05:12 PM
Dear Mr. Manisegaran,

We look forward to the great start on Jan01 2007 about the legendary G.R.

Pl. make a start.

S.Balaji
20th December 2006, 11:56 PM

Thank you.
Manisekaran

Naangal irukkum bodhu ungallukku yen indha sandhegam Mani Sir :D
GR patri therindu kolla naangal ellorum koduthu vaithirukka vendum.

His songs are immortal ones .

Please take off soon .

And we expect you to give vivid description of every movie and song , especially how he composed Veerapandiya KB , Ambigapathy , Uthamaputhiran, Mandhirikumari etc

Regards

sivaramakrishnanG
25th September 2008, 07:48 PM
அன்பர்களே,
இசை மேதை G.ராமநாத அய்யர்,அவர்கள் இசைஅமைத்த படப்பாடல்கள் பலவற்றை வெவ்வேறு திரிகளில் கொடுத்துக்கொண்டு இருக்கிறோம் .
திரு மணிசேகரன் அவர்கள் எழுத வேண்டிய தொடர் தொடங்கும் வரை இது archived/lderTopics பகுதியிலேயே இருக்கும் போல தோன்றுவதால்
அவர் இசை அமைத்த - புது யுகம் - 1954 - படத்திலிருந்து
ஒரு அரிய பாடலை கொடுக்கிறேன்
பாடியது -ஜிக்கி குழுவினர்

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?2ywtjy1inwy

ஜாதியிலே நாங்க தாழ்ந்தவங்க
ரொம்ப தாழ்ந்தவங்க -ஆனா
நாங்கெல்லாம் இல்லே ன்னா
எந்த வேலை ஆகுமுங்க

ஒருமுறை கேட்டுப் பாருங்கள்
அன்பன்
சிவராமகிருஷ்ணன்.G

sivaramakrishnanG
21st December 2008, 04:46 PM
DEAR FRIENDS,

G.R. avarkalin isayil vantha oru ariya paadal ithu;

idam petra thiraippadam - MANIMEGALAI

Paadiyavargal - M.L.V., N.L.Gaana saraswathi

link itho;-

http://www.mediafire.com/?g1wshxj2nla

anbudan
sivaramakrishnang

s ramaswamy
12th April 2011, 09:26 PM
Hi all,

There are two threads on the great GR, but both have come to an abrupt stop. Mr Mani sir's promise of writing a full fledged piece on the first star MD of TFM has not been fulfilled, unfortunately. For a beginning it would be good to list the names of the films for which he composed music.

As far as I know he has composed music for:
Sivakavi, Haridas, Ponmudi, Aayiram Thalai Vangiya Aboorva Chinthamani, Manthirikumari, Kaveri (Manjal Veyyil Maalayile is an abs. beauty sung by CSJ and MLV), Illara Jythi (GR?), Thookku Thookki (the film that propelled TMS to stardom), Satharam, Naan Petra Selvam (Poova Maramum poothathu, Inbam Vandu Serumo etc), Sarangadara, Ambigapathy (both old and new - new means 1958 vintage), Kalyanikku Kalyanam (Unnai Ninaikkiyile - one of the very best solos by TMS), Maduran Veeran (who can forget the outstanding duet Naadagamellam Kanden), Uthamaputhiran (perhaps his magnum opus along with Kappalottiya Thamizhan and Veera Pandiya Kattabomman for which he got the best musical score award in the Afro Asian festival), Samaya Sanjeevi (it has the wonderful PBS Jikki duet (Gamagamavena Narumalar manam veesude), Dr Savithri (there's an excellent piano no. by P Leela, Then Suvai Mevum Thendralin Geetham Ezhvadhu Kuralale) Pudumai Pithan (PS's Then Maduvai vandinam thedi varum and CSJ-Jiki unforgettable duet Ullam Rendum Ondru), Gomathiyin Kadhalan (Seergazhi solo Vaanameedil Neendiyodum Vennilave and and has another excellent Seergazhi-P Leela duet), Vanangamudi (There's a fab AMR-PS duet Vaazhvinile Vaazhvinile Innal Ini Varuma apart from other great songs), Rani Lalithangi (TMS's high-pitched Aandavane Illaye Thillai Thandavane un pol), Kathavarayan, Raja Desingu (excellent songs including the great bharata natyam dance no. Paarkadal Alai Mele Paambanayin Mele by MLV and Leela), President Panjatcharam (There's a lovely PS-TMS duet), Arasilankumari (Chnnappayale by TMS), Thozhan (Alai Pola Thendral by PVS-PS), Karpukkarasi, Naan Sollum Ragasiyam (Containing the only song sung for Sivaji Ganesan by PBS, a duet with PS 'Kandene Unnai Kannale Kaadal Jothiye which reminds one of the same duo's latter no in Kattabomman) and Deivathin Deivam in which his composing style had totally changed - an indication that he was ready to take on the VR, KVM storm - but he died before he could prove his versatility to the full. Singers like TMS and Seergazhi, as well as PS, owe a lot to him for making them what they were later.

This list is not exhaustive, but just what I have gathered over the years. It's fitting someone comes out with a full list to remember this genius MD who brought Carnatic music to the common man.

Ramaswamy

tfmlover
21st April 2011, 08:33 AM
http://i1084.photobucket.com/albums/j409/MGR-Posters/1960/rd.gif

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raja_Desingu
http://www.youtube.com/user/girivalamalert#p/u/16/jqJEZ1oNh1s

http://i1084.photobucket.com/albums/j409/MGR-Posters/1960/RajaDesingMGR.jpg

இஸ்லாமிய பிண்ணனியில் வருகின்ற காட்சிகளின் இடையே
பாற்கடல் அலை மேலே நடனம் வருவதாக அமைவது
பொருந்தி வராத காரணத்தினாலேயே மக்கள் திலகம்
அக்காட்சியை நீக்குமாறு சொல்லியிருகிறார் என்றும் அறிந்தேன்

aren't we so lucky to have this technology
those gems tucked into a video clip
we are able to watch , enjoy them
over and over again

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StcPEr1ZqL8&feature=related

to watch the complete movie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMQLyQmfHsw&feature=related

Regards

s ramaswamy
22nd April 2011, 09:30 AM
Hi TFMLover,

A million thanks for "Paarkadal Alaimele" song video and the complete "Raja Desing" pic. It was a folly not to have included this great song in the movie, but because of enthusiasts like you around the others like me are able to see this song. This song used to be danced in Bharata Natyam concerts of those days by, among others, renowned danseuses like Kamala. Wonderful "Dasavatharam' no.

Tks again,

Ramaswamy

s ramaswamy
22nd April 2011, 03:07 PM
Hi,

On second thoughts, probably MGR was right as Padmini essayed the character of a muslim woman. How could the director/producer have inserted a classical Bharata Natyam no. for this character? Would like to know. But the dance no. and song are undoubtedly classics of TFM. On par with the several dance nos. in those days in Tamil Films. BTW there's is a duet "Sarasa Raja Kalyani" by CSJ and MLV in the same film. Does TFM Lover have the video of this song if it had been picturised? Would be grateful to know.

Regards

Ramaswamy

tfmlover
26th April 2011, 08:58 AM
Hi,

On second thoughts, probably MGR was right as Padmini essayed the character of a muslim woman. How could the director/producer have inserted a classical Bharata Natyam no. for this character? Would like to know. But the dance no. and song are undoubtedly classics of TFM. On par with the several dance nos. in those days in Tamil Films. BTW there's is a duet "Sarasa Raja Kalyani" by CSJ and MLV in the same film. Does TFM Lover have the video of this song if it had been picturised? Would be grateful to know.

Regards

Ramaswamy

Hi S Ramaswamy !

restricting creative liberties must have been a complex issue
but MGR's omniscient point of view ,conceptually it seems reasonable
surely both of them have come up with an acceptable denouement using some gray matter, indeed
talk of which ,you can watch here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNtLQ0x7eHg

Padmini played Aayshaa romancing Mohammad Khan SSR ,
dEsingu(MGR) and Rani(Bhanumathi) joining them towards the end ,
quartet performance that is supposed to thrill fans to pieces !

இருந்தும் , மனமேவும் ? வனமேவும் ? ராஜகுமாரா பாடலை தனியாக கேட்கவே பிடிக்கிறது
ஏனோ தெரியவில்லை
பத்மினி SSR இருவருமே கலை நயத்துடன் குறையின்றி செய்திருந்த போதும் கூட
குறிப்பாக SRG Jikki குரல்வடிவம் வார்த்தை பிரயோகம் பின்னணி இசை எதுவும்
ஆயிஷாவையோ முகம்மது கஹான் நை யோ
ஒட்டி பிரதிபலிப்பதாகத் தோன்றவில்லை எனக்கு , Sorry !
yes Sarasraani ..nicely crafted song picturized on MGR Bhanumathi

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43oISkVrqRY&feature=related

Regards

s ramaswamy
26th April 2011, 04:13 PM
Hi TFMLover,
Intha padam sila naatkal munbu thaan paarthen ungal linkil irundu. Eno padam avvalavaaga pidikkavillai. There was no need for MGR to don the double role. Same mistake was made by Sivaji much later in Gowravam. And what was the need for Dawood Khan (elder MGR) to go to the palace and snatch the document given by Delhi Badshah? And some characters simply disappeared, like NSK and "Danaal" Thangavelu whose initial comedy scenes were nice. There was one PS song which I liked but have never heard before. Can an audio link be given to that song sung on screen by Padmini with MN Rajam around?

Regards

Ramaswamy

tfmlover
26th April 2011, 11:07 PM
idhaanaa ? S Ramaswamy

http://music2.cooltoad.com/music/song.php?id=455057

Regards

s ramaswamy
27th April 2011, 09:47 AM
idhaanaa ? S Ramaswamy

http://music2.cooltoad.com/music/song.php?id=455057

Regards

Yes, tks TFMLover, this is the song I referred to. Have immedtly downloaded it. Tks again.

Ramaswamy

RR
23rd November 2011, 08:23 AM
Recd over email

Marumagal ('53) - Music: G.Ramanathan

The above was yet another melodious blockbuster released in 1953. All of its nos were a treat to hear in the voices of P.A.Perianaike, Jikki, A.M.Rajah,A.P.Komala & 'Friday man', V.T.Rajagopal of the gr8 MD: G.Ramanathan.. I was very fortunate in having a ceaseless discussions in the 'art of oomposing cine music by GR..as compared to the Hindi/Marathi cine music belt composers.

One very OUTSTANDING QUALITY of GR that HIS CONTEMPORARIES 'anywhere' did not possess was his remarkable ingenuity in coming out with significant melodic embellishments at some stage of the song in terms of highliting the raaga(s) exposition with subtle nuances with-n-without interludes, & making the singer STRIVE accomplishment.

For this reason alone, GR's music is very tough and NOT EASY to render.Songs sung by MKT, Chika Honappa Bhagwathar, P.U.Chinnappa, T.R.Mahalingam, TMS are REVERED even today for their magnificence which the Hindi belt afficionados LACK in comprehension.

The above duet uploaded is picturised in film on the lovers when they were kids. Whwn they grow up in the story as hushband/wife in their trials-n-tribulations in life - the same duet is again sung in the beautiful voices of P.A.Perianaike & A.M.Rajah.

My friend, V.T.Rajagopal used to describe the entire song composing-styles and ideas of GR on the harmonium.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCx5_UIE8TA

- Jay S
sjhhhtm@gmail.com

RR
24th November 2011, 11:15 AM
ellorukkum eLithu - Rukmangadan

The guru-shishy-parampara is clearly demonstrated in this VERY RARE solo in Raaga - Kapi by the gr8 GR from the Tamil film: Rukmangadan ('46) which had 17 songs.

Notice the embellishments that are imparted-n-highlitedin P.A.P's very rich TIMBRE (voice culture) supported 'sharp brigas'. whenever she utters 'ellorkum'. The cascade of 'interludes' interwoven need no elaboration and display the 'hallmark' of the genius.! Why?? Why??
Because, GR himself started as a harmonium player in musical plays and joined his 'guru' in films as 'assistant' as early as 1935/36.

LISTENING intently to anything demonstrated by anyone calls for 'self discipline' of a very high order...which the ITABs deplorably LACK in their warped mindsets.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yl8Fse405vk

- Jay S
sjhhhtm@gmail.com

baroque
25th November 2011, 01:49 AM
G .ராமநாதனின் வருவாய் மனமோஹனா.......ஆஹா... கொஞ்சும் புறாவே .....Cd யில் வசந்தகுமாரியின் சிம்மேந்திர மத்யமம் with dialogues :musicsmile: for me this lunch hr.

வருவாய் மனமோகன...
பாடல் வரிகள்.....கு.ம.பாலசுப்ரமணியம்
சினிமா-இன்ஸ்பெக்டர்-1963 -ஜுபிட்டர் pictures banner

வான மீதில் நீந்தி ஓடும் வெண்ணிலாவே நீதான் வந்ததேனோ ஜன்னலுக்குள் வெண்ணிலாவே........கோமதியின் காதலன்....கு.ம.பாலசுப்ரமணியன் வரிகள்....சீர்காழி கோவிந்தராஜன்.

சீர்காழி கோவிந்தராஜன்'s காதலெனும் சோலையிலே ராதே ராதே நான் கண்டெடுத்த பொன்மலரே ராதே ராதே ... தலைவர் பாடல்.:-D

கண்ணோடு கண் கலந்தால் காதலின் முதல் பாடம்....கனி இதழும் ஆவலினால் கவிதைகூட பாடும்....:) How gorgeous is this composition!

மதன் மோகன், Geeta Dutt legend series கிடைக்கும் at சென்னை, ஆனால்... G.இராமநாதன் ஹிட்ஸ்/legends series-5 pack cds அப்படின்னு பார்க்க முடியாது!

கண்ணன் மன நிலையே தங்கமே தங்கம் கண்டு வர வேண்டுமடி தங்கமே தங்கம்... .... starts with abheri touch (சிங்கார வேலனே தேவா..) changes to (ஒருத்தி மகானைப் பிறந்து)-பெஹாக் ஜானும்மா is amazing !

இந்த மாநிலத்தை பாராய் மகனே உந்தன் வாழ்க்கைதனை உணர்வாய் மகனே ......பட்டுக்கோட்டையார்

நெஞ்சில் உரமுமின்றி .. சீர்காழி, தண்ணீர் விட்டோம்...திருச்சி லோகநாதன்..... பாரதியார் பாடல்கள்.

Vinatha