PDA

View Full Version : Paal Curry

Prabha
22nd February 2005, 06:19 AM
Could some one post the recipe for paal curry...A dish of potato and peas in coconut milk,famous in trichy.

Pearl
2nd March 2005, 07:27 PM
Hi Prabha,

Hope this is the recipe you are looking for. Pl. let me know how it turns out.

Best regardfs,

pearl

Pal Curry

INGREDIENTS:

3-4 tablespoons (vegetable) oil
1” pc. Of Pattai (cinnamon stick)
2 Elaka’s (cardamom)
2 cloves
1 bay leaf
2 large onions - finely sliced
1 tomato – cut into 6-8 pcs.
3-4 green chillied – cut lengthwise
1 ½” pc of fresh ginger - peeled and cut into fine strips – like matchsticks
Ό kg potatoes – Boiled/peeled/skinned and cubed
1 tin of coconut milk
Salt to taste

Heat the oil in a vessel. Add the whole spices – (cinnamon/cardamom/cloves/bay leaf) fry for 2 to 3 minutes on low heat till you get a good smell. Add the onion & continue to fry on low heat for another 5 mins. or until the onions are soft. Now add the chopped tomato, green chillies, salt and ginger and continue to fry on low heat for a further 2-3 minutes Now add the cubed potatoes & coconut milk and (Simmer) - continue to cook on low heat for further 5-7 minutes – mixing now and again. Pour in the coconut milk and ½ cup of water.

Pearl SEubramanian

Pearl
2nd March 2005, 07:28 PM
Hi Prabha,

Hope this is the recipe you are looking for. Pl. let me know how it turns out.

Best regardfs,

pearl

Pal Curry

INGREDIENTS:

3-4 tablespoons (vegetable) oil
1” pc. Of Pattai (cinnamon stick)
2 Elaka’s (cardamom)
2 cloves
1 bay leaf
2 large onions - finely sliced
1 tomato – cut into 6-8 pcs.
3-4 green chillied – cut lengthwise
1 ½” pc of fresh ginger - peeled and cut into fine strips – like matchsticks
Ό kg potatoes – Boiled/peeled/skinned and cubed
1 tin of coconut milk
Salt to taste

Heat the oil in a vessel. Add the whole spices – (cinnamon/cardamom/cloves/bay leaf) fry for 2 to 3 minutes on low heat till you get a good smell. Add the onion & continue to fry on low heat for another 5 mins. or until the onions are soft. Now add the chopped tomato, green chillies, salt and ginger and continue to fry on low heat for a further 2-3 minutes Now add the cubed potatoes & coconut milk and (Simmer) - continue to cook on low heat for further 5-7 minutes – mixing now and again. Pour in the coconut milk and ½ cup of water.

Pearl SEubramanian

R
2nd March 2005, 07:52 PM
Hello Prabha,

One of my cousin who is also from Trichy gave me this recipe a long time back. I am not sure whether this is the one you are looking for. I have written in my book that this dish paal curry is the side dish for tomato pulav.

Here it is,

Paal curry

Potato 1/4 kilo
green peas 100 g
green chillies 3
coconut 1/2
tomato 1
ginger
oil 1sp and salt.

To be powdered:

cinnamon, cardamom, cloves and saunf (for the above said items, the qty has not mentioned).

Powder the raw spices alone separately.

Cut potato into small pieces and cook them with green peas. Grind coconut, ginger and chillies nicely.

Heat oil in a pan, powdered spices with onion and saute well. Once done, add cut tomato cook well till the raw smell goes off. Now, add the ground coconut paste and stir well. Time to add the cooked potato and peas with little amt of water and sufficient salt.

Once it starts boiling, keep aside.

Prabha
14th March 2005, 12:13 AM
Hi,
Thanks for the recipes.
This is what I have been looking for.
Tried the version posted by "R".
It came out very well.Yet to try Pearl's version.

R,
Can you please post tomato pulav recipe.

R
14th March 2005, 09:36 PM
Hello Prabha,

Here the recipe for tomato pulav is-

Basmathi rice 2 cups
Tomato 1/2 kilo
onion 1/4 kilo
coconut 1/2
green chillies 3
ginger 1 small piece
garlic flakes 3 or 4
saunf 1/2 tbsp
cardamom powder 1 tsp
cinnamon 1/2 tsp
orange food color 1 pinch
salt

Wash rice well and drain it separately. Extract 2 cups of milk from coconut. Grind tomato separately and extract 2 cups of juice.

Heat a pan add milk, juice and allow them to boil.

Meanwhile, grind ginger, chillies, cardamom, saunf, cinnamon into a paste.

In a separate pan, add ghee/oil, saute the paste well. Add cut onion and stir till the color changes. Now, add this mixture to the juice/milk mixture. Also, put the drained rice, food color, salt and mix well and pressure cook the tomato rice mixture.