PDA

View Full Version : Songs and meanings

Badri
15th February 2005, 11:00 AM
Hello All,

This is my first post here...I joined just today, although I have been following some of the posts here off and on.

Knowing little of a language is more terrible than knowing nothing of it, I think. Although a Tamilian, I can get by speaking Telugu rather well, but I am stumped when it comes to deciphering the meanings of some of the songs of Annamacharya or Tyagaraja. And with both these composers, as with many others I am sure, there is richness and depth of meaning and we would be truly able to appreciate their songs only when we know them. After all these were not songs composed sitting at leisure, for the express purpose of composing. They were outpourings of their bhava and anubhava.

In this context, can someone help me with the meaning of the following songs:

1. Manujudai Putti (Annamacharya)
2. Podagantimayya (Annamacharya)

meena
16th February 2005, 12:52 AM
If u want the meaning for sree tyagaraja's songs, i can help u with it.

Manujudai Putti
Meaning:
Lord Venkateshwara is compared with precious gems in the form of Krishnavatar Leelas. Mother Yasoda is kissing the Bala Krishna (muDugare yasODa) and he is submerged in her kisses like in a tub of pearls (mungidi muTyamu). Like a ruby (mAnikyam) he is shining and for kamsa the demon he is strong as a diamond(Vajram). His consort RugminiÕs lips are like Coral (pagadam). When he is Govarda Giridhari, he is like gOdEDiga (a brown stone). He is wearing vaidUryam (another precious stone) in between his sanku and chakra. When he is dancing on the head of kAlinga, the serpant king, he glows like pushyaraga (yellow sapphire) and when he is Lord Venkateshwara, he is like indra nIlam (blue sapphire). On the whole he is like all the precious gem stones, always helping the devotees.

Podagantimayya
Meaning:
We have got a glance of you O great one!
Don’t ever depart from us
Your intention is to take care of us,
You came to our succour on your own
You are the treasure realised by our elders and given to us (this may be a reference to his mother Lakkamamba, as she used to sing of the glories of Chenna Kesava of Madupur, her birthplace, while feeding Annamayya).
You respect us, you realise our thirst and quench it, O dark cloud,
You are the Srinivasa nearby, right in our hearts,
You are the divine pArijAtam that became ours just by our meditating upon it,
You protect us till we develop steadfastness like the hard mature core of wood,
You are the kAmadhEnu to save us and satisfy our desires, (in another song, the composer says that while kAmadhEnu gives whatever one desires, good, bad or indifferent, Srinivasa gives only that which is good).
You are the one who protects this earth,
You are the accessible chant that prevents us from going astray,
You are the ultimate medicine to put down all our ills and ailments,
You are the soul companion, who will never stop following us, (Srinivasa is so compassionate and concerned with his devotees that he follows them around)
O Venkatanatha, you have won us over!

Badri
16th February 2005, 03:53 AM
If u want the meaning for sree tyagaraja's songs, i can help u with it.

Manujudai Putti
Meaning:
Lord Venkateshwara is compared with precious gems in the form of Krishnavatar Leelas. Mother Yasoda is kissing the Bala Krishna (muDugare yasODa)

Thanks Meena, but I am not quite sure if Manujudai putti would have that meaning...these are the lyrics to the song...

manujuDai puTTi manujuni sEvinci anudinamunu dukkhamantanEla

juTTeDu kaDupukai joranicoDu cocci paTTEDu kUDigai pati mAli
puTTina cOtikE porali manasu viTTi vaTTi lampaTamu vadala neraDu gAna

andarilO puTTi andarilO jEri andari rUpamulaDudAnai
antamaina shRi venkaTAdrisu sEvinci antarAni padamu andenu aDugAna

meena
16th February 2005, 05:22 AM
sorry, i have posted the meaning for muddugArE yashOdA.

I do not have meaning for this one. sorry

The meaning for Manujudai putti -Having been born as a mortal- and other few sree Annamacharya's songs meaning can be found in the book titled- Songs of Three Great South Indian Saints by William J. Jackson.

Badri
16th February 2005, 05:43 AM
From what Telugu I know, I think it is a fairly philosophical song...probably talking about the difficulties that we encounter leading a materialistic life and how only worshipping Sri Venkateshwara is the remedy or something to that effect, but it would really be nice to get the exact line-by-line meaning so when you sing it, you can feel the full force of the song.

RR
16th February 2005, 07:59 AM
sbadri99,
This is a nice topic. Agree 100% with you on understanding meaning to fully appreciate a song. (On another thread, we have been discussing this aspect recently.)

Thanks, meena, for 'muddugaare'.

Can I get the meaning for 'maanasa sancharare'?

Badri
16th February 2005, 08:21 AM
Maanasa Sancharare

Composer: Sadashiva Brahmendra, a great mystic and yogi
Language: Sanskrit
Raagam: Shyaamaa

Pallavi
Maanasa Sancharare
Brahmani Maanasa Sancharare

Charanam 1
Madasikhi pinchaalankruta chikure
Mahaneeya kapola vijitha mukure || Maanasa Sancharare ||

Charanam 2
Sri Ramani Kucha Durga Vihaare
Sevaka jana mandira mandaare || Maanasa Sancharare ||

Charanam 3

Paramahamsa mukha Chandra chakore
Paripooritha murali ravadhare || Maanasa Sancharare ||

Meaning
The devotee wants his mind to go on a pilgrimage round the Brahmam. Let the mind go about the sikha (shirojas=hair) of the Lord decorated with the Peacock’s fine feathers! Let the mind be with the Lord who goes around Goddess Lakshmi Devi and whose visage outwits the brightness of the mirror! Ascetics see this brightness as a Chandra Chakora (bright coloured parrot, meaning, festivity to the eyes). Let the mind be filled with the Lord who is a Kalpavriksha in hearts of His devotees. Let the mind complete the pilgrimage with the flow of the music from the Lord’s flute.

Badri
16th February 2005, 09:24 AM
I found another text meaning of Manasa Sancharare...guess this is a lot more detailed than the earlier one, and more accurate too... so I am posting it here.

Oh, Mind ! Undertake your pilgrimage in the Brahmam !

The hairlock of Brahman, is adorned with the plumes of an exhilarated peacock (mada sikhi)!
The cheeks of the Supreme One outwit the brightness of a mirror !

He sports around in the fort of the breast-hillocks of Mahalakshmi (Sri). For his devotees, He is a Kalpavriksha in the court yard (mandira Mandaare)

Supreme ascetics (paramahamsa) delight in that face-moon (mukha chandraa) as a partridge bird (chakore - with obvious reference to the chakora bird that thirsts for moonlight)

Oh, Mind! May your pilgrimage be complete in this Brahman that fills everything with the flow of the music from His flute(murali) ! !

Mod Msg: Please uncheck 'Disable BBcode' for the text formatting (italics,etc) to work.. I have done it for this post.

RR
16th February 2005, 10:01 AM
Thanks a lot. Someone told me that the film song 'mounathil vilayaadum manasaatchiye' (Kannadhasan's brilliant lines sung by BMK - also set in Sama) has its meanings inspired from 'maanasa sancharare'.. Looks like it's true only for the raga.

blackpearl
7th March 2005, 09:17 PM
Hi ya'll!!!

Can anybody translate Muthuswamy Dikshitar Krithi : Neelakantam Bhaje??? Of coarse in english!
This would be great!!!!

Thanx alot

U'rs

Blackpearl

Here the lyrics:

Neelakantam Kedaragowla raaga Roopaka taala Sanskrit

Pallavi:
Neelakanttam bhajeeham sathatham
Neerajaasanaadi nutham (Nee)

Anupallavi:
Bala Kuchaambaa Sahitham
Baala chandra Seevitham
Seela Guru guru Poojutham
Sree – Kadamba Vana naatham (nee)

Charanam:
Akshaya Roopa Akhanda Kaaveri
Theerottha Raabhi mukham pancha mukham
Rakshita bhaktha pramu kham

Nakshathresha Shekharam
Nama Roopa Vichihra thara dhaksha thara meeswaram
Kedara gowla priyakaram

Dakshina Kaashi puram Danditha Kaama thripuram
Dhakshaathrayaavara Haram Dayaa Karam Kamalakaram (nee)

meena
7th March 2005, 11:12 PM
Meaning:
I eternally chant the name of the Lord with the blue throat, who is worshipped by Brahma and others! He is with Balakucamba and is worshipped by the waxing moon! He is adored by the wise Subrahmanya! He is the Lord of the Forest of Kadamba trees! He is facing the northern side of the eternal and broad river Kaveri! He has five faces! He protects the foremost devotees! He bears the lord of the stars, the moon, on his crest! He is akin to Daksha (one of the progenitors) in creating this universe of diverse names and forms! He delights in the raga Kedaragaula! He resides in the Kashi of the South! He punished Cupid and the three towns! He destroyed the sacrifice of Daksha and is the Destroyer! He is compassionate and his arms are like lotuses!

blackpearl
8th March 2005, 03:38 PM
Thank You very much Meena!!!!

it helps me alot!!!

geethapriya
14th March 2005, 08:49 PM
Hi all Iam looking for :arrow: meaning and :arrow: lyrics of the songs

1. :arrow: Maamavathu Sri Saraswathy- Hindolam-Mysore Vasudevachar

2. :arrow: Ithi manchi Samayamura- Ananda Bhairavi- Muhaiah Bhagavathar

and

3. :arrow: Karunaanidhi ilalo- Thodi

PLease Help :)

Lakshman
14th March 2005, 10:43 PM
mAmavatu shrI. rAgA: hindOLa. Adi tALA.

P: mAmavatu shrI sarasvati kAmakOTi pITha nivAsini
A: kOmalakara sarOja vara vINA sImAtIta vara vAgbhUSaNa
C: rAjAdhirAja pUjita caraNa rAjIva nayana ramaNIya vadana
(madhyamakAlam)
sujana manOratha pUraNa caturA nijagaLa shObhita maNiimaya hArA
aja bhava vandita vAsudEva caraNArpita sakala vEdasArA

idi manci samayamurA. rAgA: Anandabhairavi. rUpaka tALA

P: idi manci samayamurA nannElukOrA
A: gati nI SaNmukhA nannu kAvumayyA karuNA sAgarA
C: tappu mAnavulanucEri tArumAru cEsitinA
abbA nAcEi viDavakurA harikEshapura nivAsA

karuNAnidhi ilalO. rAgA: tODi. tALA: tisram.

P: karuNAnidhi ilalO nIvanucunu kanna tallI vEDukoNTini nI sharaNaNTini
A: aruNAmbuda nibha caraNA (ambA) suramuni sharaNAnandESTha dAyaki shrI brhannAyaki
C1: gAna vinOdini nI mahimAdishayambula entaTi vADanu taramA brOva
tAmasamiTu jEsitE ara nimiSamaina tALa jAla nammA mAyammA
2: pAmara pAlini pAvani nIvu gadA nI pAdamE gatiyani namminAnu kOmala
mrdu bhASiNi ghana sadrsha vENi shyAmakrSNa sOdari gOkarNEshvaruni rANi

meena
15th March 2005, 05:43 AM
Meaning : karuNAnidhI ilalO:
Are you not the very repository of mercy on this earth? Having believed this, I seek refuge in your lotus feet. Your feet are like the red lotus. When the Gods and Sages fall at your feet, their wishes are all fulfilled, O Brihannayaki.

O one who loves music, which mortal is capable of expressing your greatness. Protect me, mother, for I am unable to bear a delay of even half a minute.

O one who protects the common people, are you not the embodiment of purity? I believe that your feet are the only refuge. O one of soft and mellifluous speech, O one with dark tresses, you are the sister of Syama Krishna and the Queen of Lord Gokarneswara.

geethapriya
15th March 2005, 02:41 PM
:) Thanks a lot Ms Meena and Mr. Lakshman for the lyrics and Meaning of Karunanidhi. I would like to have the other two songs meaning pls.
Thanks once again :D

Yudhajit
15th March 2005, 04:53 PM
maamavathu shrI
raagam: hindOLam

20 naTabhairavi janya
Aa: S G2 M1 D1 N2 S
Av: S N2 D1 M1 G2 S

taaLam: aadi
Composer: Mysore VaasudEvaacaarya
Language: Sanskrit

pallavi

mAmavatu shrI sarasvati kAmakOTi pITha vAsini
(mAmavatu)

anupallavi

kOmaLakara sarOja dhrta vINA sImAtIta vara vAGvibhUSaNa
(mAmavatu)

caraNam

rAjAdhi rAja pUjita caraNa rAjIva nayana ramaNIya vadana

madhyamakAlam: sujana manOratha pUraNa catura nijagaLa shObhita maNimaya hAra
aja bhava vandita vAsudEva caraNArpita sakala vEda sAra
(mAmavatu)

plz visit

http://www.geocities.com/promiserani2/

Lot of resources are there.

RR
29th September 2006, 08:39 AM
(Reposting)

I am currently learning the Vanajakshi Adi tala Varnam(Kalyani, Ramnad Srinivasa Iyengar). To understand the meaning of the lyrics I did some research on the Web and had a few questions and would appreciate it if someone with Telugu knowledge can help answer them.

Pallavi: Vanajakshiro ee virahomorvane Vasudevuni thodi deve

Question: Is it thodi deve or thodi teve or doti deve?

The meaning I have come accross is " O Vanajakshi(Vanajakshiro) I cannot(orvane) stand this seperation(ee Viraham). Please fetch(teve) along(thodi) Vaasudeva(Krishna). Is this meaning correct?

Anupallavi: Vinave Nagapuramuna Velayu Soundara rajuni
Question: The Meaning I have is " Listen to the king of beauty who resides in nagapura" is this correct?

Charanam: Nilupa rani mohamaye
Question: The Meaning I have is "Stop(nilupa ra) your(nee) charms(moha) and illusions(maya)" is this correct?

Thanks
Anirudh

msn
9th October 2006, 10:06 AM
please post more songs... :)