PDA

View Full Version : Ragging in Colleges

blahblah
7th February 2005, 10:49 AM
We all know that despite the laws and occasional steps taken by governments,ragging does exist in our colleges.I see this practice as a crime as it is intimidating, scary and leaves a new student in constant mental agony.I know students who have dropped out from college due to ragging and have some experience myself.Let's discuss.

jaiganes
7th February 2005, 11:24 AM
i agree with blahblah!

On the third day of my engineering college, I was robbed of all my money by my seniors (of a different department. my department guys were good ones) and I had to eventually walk a considerable distance before I could take an auto. I kept quiet as I did not want to get into any kind of trouble. People involved must be some mentally sick individuals. Argument by some that ragging could lead to a healthy friendship is a very weak one. The chances for that are very slim and I hate the musthafa song which has lyrics reiterating this point. I am happy that the state government and police are absolutely against this savage behaviour of Ragging or hazing by sick seniors.

blahblah
7th February 2005, 11:55 AM
Since you are from B'lore,Jaiganesh,I have some funny experiences from B'lore colleges.When I joined one of these colleges,we were asked to be present at the Seniors hostel in the evening.

One guy asked me to sing the national anthem.Since I was very nervous and they were too intimidating,I forgot the verse starting with,"Janagana mangala dayaka jaya he....".I knew I forgot something but didn't know what it was.So I promptly hid my feelings,sung the last line and stopped expecting him to kick me straight away. :(

Imagine what the big guy did!He thought for a moment,couldn't find out what was wrong with my anthem,and says,"OK,I think that was correct,leave now".Getting back to my room,I explained to my friends what a butt head he was. :lol:

Cindy
7th February 2005, 01:01 PM
The first ever incident that come to my mind is how a boy was brutally killed... this boy was in a college in B'lore... who was the youngest son of our fav teacher in our school... as the seniors couldnt have much fun on this brave guy who complained them to the principal.... (he was asked to collect the matchstick tips to the palm and burn it, to lick off the blade put on the closet etc..)... they inserted a real bullet to the dummy pistol they were using for their drama they played for some college festival...and this boy breathed his last in the stage itself.. :oops: we felt so much for that mother..and all those kids who suffer in such colleges... this incident came in most newspapers..maybe u know..!!

Cindy
7th February 2005, 01:05 PM
The funniest experience was in my own college... one senior asked my classmate to enact how she would react if she see "sivarasan" (one among the Rajiv Gandhi assassinates) in person... when no one is around... this girl thought for a few seconds and slapped that senior... and screamed.."You rascal... you killed our handsome prince..ah??"... the senior was shocked for a moment and then gave her a pat..what else can she do.. when all of us including jun's and sen's were laughing loudly... :D

jaiganes
7th February 2005, 02:36 PM
Blahblah I am currently working in Bangalore, but I am originaly from Chennai. My cousin who studied in Belgaum, used to remark that the juniors and the seniors went along very well with each other. In fact he recalls how seniors used to include juniors for the regular Goa trips that they used to undertake!!! I wish I had such seniors!!! :D

Sandeep
7th February 2005, 05:22 PM
I had 3 light incidents of ragging.

The first was when a bunch of seniors where getting our 'introductions', they had a simple rule if you sit and answer you are showing disrespect and if you stand and answer you are trying to terrorise him. In both cases the junior is screwed. I tried to be clever and asked them should I answer siting or standing and then I was 'acting smart'

Second time I was asked to sing a song in front of all the crowd and I started shamelessly. Should I tell that the seniors begged me to stop.

Then there was this incident which some may call ragging but one that i really enjoyed. Because here the seniors where a bunch of girls who, I think, where trying to imitate their male classmates who get physical with junior girls. Anyway though I was a little worried I really enjoyed it.

Querida
7th February 2005, 11:52 PM
Hey Sandeep long time no see :D
anyways i think there is two ways to look at the sick individuals who do ragging in either case they too in their junior years must have been humiliated and have the choice of perpetuating that feeling so that they for a few minutes feel superior or be more mature about it and see it as just a low way of showing bravado...furthermore remember how bad they felt when it happened to them...

my own experiences here in Canada are less severe mostly based on colour distinction...mostly it was rude notes passed (my back replies weren't so nice either :twisted: ), threatning to beat up the student if say they sat at a particular table, spoke with certain people, criticizing clothing choice, participating in class, anything that would catch their interest i guess..i knew one gurl who always bothered my about my black socks...and it never made sense to me...i love black socks...acutally it made her angrier cause i would ignore her and just continue to talk to my friends...all these petty idiocies...mostly done by students who were taking the class for the third/fourth time...the guys just tried really hard to think of an annoying nickname or if they were desi a particular song they could sing...or just follow you around and sit at the same table you sat at...nothing worse than that...not that worse didn't not happen..i'm just glad it didn't happen to anyone i knew...

Surya
8th February 2005, 12:14 AM
Well,
Ragging isn't bad unless it goes overboard right?
I went to a HS here where there was this thing caled "Freshman Fridays" Where the Seniors would Knock the freshmen into garbage cans on fridays. I had been knocked a couple times. But it was worth it when I was a senior. :twisted: :twisted:
No one really go hurt. I guess taht was a kind of ragging also. So it's fun until people start taking it too seriously. :)

Querida
8th February 2005, 04:38 AM
well my experiences again on the light side and again not in college but in highschool....ragging in colleges here is now almost unheard of (must be the accumulation of nerds :P ) unless of course i guess you belong to a sports team (maybe) or you want to join a fraternity or sorority...well i don't see the appeal of such WASP for WASP places anyways and well you're kinda asking for it cause everyone knows that to join it unofficially does include ragging...not that it makes it right...

Surya
8th February 2005, 05:06 AM
Well,
I was part of the B-Ball team all throughout HS. But it wasn't the B-Ball players who were ragging. Just the BIG TOUGH Football Players, and also other big fellows who did'nt have the grades to join the football team. But as I became a senior, and my height started to catch up with me age, my graduating year changed the trend of just football players taking part in the "Freshmen getting dumped into garbage cans" procedure. Now it included the new and enhanced B-Ball players!! :twisted:

Here in College I never saw people getting ragged. The Nerds would get made fun of etc, but not ragging like they show in the Tamil movies, swimming on land et all, mainly because the kids here would call the cops and file reports of harrasment. :lol2:

jaiganes
8th February 2005, 08:59 AM
Congratulartions Surya!

Digression********
How about Ragging in workplace. I think that there is ragging in offices too. Some mentors, play hard to get and some managers play hard to please! I guess that is some form of ragging too.

End Digression ***********

Surya
8th February 2005, 09:09 AM
:lol: Well, in the workplace, I always try to be the nice guy with the people that work under me. :D My dad and bro are the tough-hard-to-please bosses in the CO. I was never good at being that. :oops:

Regards. 8)

scorpio
8th February 2005, 10:30 AM
Is there any medical student here? Or any relatives from medical college?

I have heard ragging in medical colleges is more scary with juniors asked to come to 'mortuary' and spend time there all alone :shock:

blahblah
8th February 2005, 10:33 AM
[quote="Surya"]Well,
Ragging isn't bad unless it goes overboard right?
[quote]

What a pity that it always goes overboard!

I have studied in two colleges in B'lore and can tell you that I have many many such experiences.One of my classmates always wanted to go to the toilet during power cuts and used to take a junior to carry a candle so that he doesn't need to s**t in the dark!

I remember an incident where this particular boy who annoyed his seniors was forced to sit in spilt ink,nude,and then on a drawing sheet,making a fine impression of his 'you know whats'.He was then asked to get it signed by ten senior girls!And this poor fellow did exactly that out of mortal fear!
:shock:

scorpio
8th February 2005, 10:35 AM
Blahblah,

That was yucky! :oops:

Surya
8th February 2005, 10:36 AM
:lol: Yeah, sadly that's true. My youngest bro, who's 19 went to India to study at Sri Ramachandra Medical Institute in Chennai. The only one in the family who didn't want to be a businessman. :roll: And he said that he had seen that happen to other guys, but gladly somehow, no one messed with him on that issue. :lol: He would have probably fainted, or comedown with a bad fever, he's never expierenced any "ragging" since he mainly grew up here.
Well, maybe a couple of "Freshman Fridays" from his elder bros. :wink:

Regards. 8)

Surya
8th February 2005, 10:56 AM
That IS sick! Poor Guy. I thought that after the "Naavarasu" case, ragging had toned down some in India. Guess not.

blahblah
8th February 2005, 11:01 AM
When I was in first year,I was most sought after in the Seniors hostel as I was good at playing cards.So they frequently sent for me,and when I went there I was required to arrange the chairs.I will take three chairs,for a game of four.You know why?-I was always required to sit on an imaginary chair! :oops: :D .

Again,I escaped a lot of hard stuff pretending to be asthmatic.Once we were playing cards at a friend's place with juniors.The major Senior Villain walked in.Since I was very much involved in my cards I didn't see the fellow.He was sitting just behind me.I took out one Cigarette and automatically asked for a matchbox without looking back.He produced a matchbox and I lighted cigarette.The next thing I know,I was on the ground and this fellow was shouting at me.You can guess the rest-right? :x :oops:

Surya
8th February 2005, 11:04 AM
One of my friends who studied in Manipal, said that he had to get up at 5 O Clock in the morn, and jog around the girl's hostel in his underware!!! :lol: Sure I think its funny, but he still feels embarassed about it! :D

blahblah
8th February 2005, 11:15 AM
It can get worse.Now it may not be proper to name the college,but there was this place where thousands of students were studying.The junirs are not allowed to wear underwear when they come for food at the mess! :shock:

Every night at the beginning of the term they took turns to wear only a wet,thin,white bath towel,go to the ground behind the girls hostel and hold a candle behind their *****.So in the dark,hundreds of girls will see only their***** thorugh the thin towel against the candle light.It was humiliating and students who questioned the practice were frequently beaten up. :x :(

Hemant Trived1
8th February 2005, 12:20 PM
Actually Ragging establishes pecking order in any species.

jaiganes
8th February 2005, 12:21 PM
I would be surprised if none of the victims turn out to be psycopaths. I don't see anything funny in such antics. It sure shows the rudiments of the chimp brains that those savages are holding on to in their heads. :banghead:

viggop
8th February 2005, 12:31 PM
I too underwent mild ragging in my college days.Had to go to a senior girl and say she is very beautiful.the senior girl would then abuse me for saying that! :wink:

I also hate this uncivilized practice and I made sure not to rag any of my juniors.I do not like to cause pain to others just because i'm in a position of power to do so.Surprising some of my fellow classmates who hated ragging when they were freshmen enjoyed it with gusto once they had that power. :twisted:

Sandeep
8th February 2005, 01:06 PM
I popular form of ragging that I have heard about is the one where juniors are made to piss into electrically charged water.

Does anybody know if this is for true.

Then can any mallu tell me the name of the movie in which Mohanlal kills a junior (Vineeth I think) as part of ragging and the after effects of that.

Cindy
8th February 2005, 03:19 PM
Yes.. That was Amrutham Gamaya and the junior was Vineeth.

hehehewalrus
8th February 2005, 03:44 PM
Absolutely no ragging in my college even in the early nineties :P :thumbsup:

Querida
8th February 2005, 10:33 PM
wow blahblah those were some sick seniors...easy how humiliation can twist junior victims into just as worse menacing seniors ...though i think it would be more appropriate to have oppurtunity to do the same thing back to those seniors :evil: rather actions are perpetuated to new victims :x ...well blahblah maybe the senior got mad that you were worsening your own asthma by smoking...such a bad habit...especially if your asthmatic... :(

if i may go on a tangent such behaviour is seen in relationships where drunkard, abusive, father/mother begets a child who though hating the behaviour follows it anyways and hates him/herself for doing so....or from the ladies pov...the mil who punishes cause she got punished too...why should you be happy when she wasn't? :x

Surya
9th February 2005, 06:53 AM
Yeah, ragging has many pschological problems. :(

I think that Fresman Fridays is as far as people should go. :D Maybe making a junior jog around the ladies hostel in his underware. :lol: But that might be too much also.

Well,
Since we're sharing expierences, I was ragged twice besides freshman fridays. The first one was embarassing, the second one, My friends and I could have been shot. :(

The first one. The JV (Junior Varsity) lost a game, and everone on the team had to do somehting to pay for their loss. This was the decision taken by the senior because the JV team brought the senior shame! :roll: I got the most embarassing one. I had to go up to one of the HOT chreeleaders, and move my hip back and forth while standing and say "Hubba Hubba Hubba" 3 times, if I didn't, I could look forward to being knocked into a trash can. So I did, and ran back, and the hot cheerleader thought that I was some sort of a pervert for the rest of our HS lives, If she saw me on the street even today, she would probably run the other way for her life. :(

The second one, was much more scary. My friends an I were travelling from Richmond to San Francisco, and we had to change trains at a station called MacArthur. A highly dangerous, black gang infested neighborhood. We were waiting, and we had a dumb bet, in which my friends and I (the shophmores) lost. And we had to do something which was really stupid, now that I think about it. Usually in HS here there's a game where a person says an obsene word in a low voice like this.
*Obsene word*
Then the next person says it a little louder,
*Obsene Word* then the next person louder, and louder until everyone caves, and the person who doesn't prevails as the winner. I don't have to say what word teenage boys used in the game. hint: a part of the female anatomy. :oops: Immature and stupid, I know. But I guess that being 15 justifies being immature and idiotic. :lol2:
But since his was a black gang infested neighborhood, we had to use the word 'Nigger" As soon as I heard that My head starts spinning in all directons, and I see many groups of black men just standing around. Possibly gangsters, much stronger than us 15 yr olds. If we didn't then the seniors would take our ticktes and make us catch the bus, which is basically suicide in that area. So we had no choice. So there was 5 of us, and I was 2nd in line. and it chanting starts.
nigger nigger nigger at third, one groups head snapped in our direction. nigger They start walking towards us. and finally NIGGER and we start sprinting. They chase us, the seniors disappear. We hide in many places, one of my friends pisses in his pants, I get flashes of big black men with shotguns in my head, and finally the black men gave up. When our train arrived, we crawled into the train trying to not make a sound. And finally got home. On that day, we had never been happier to be alive. :P I doubt that they would have killed us, but a beatdown was ineveitable.

Regards. Whoo, Happy to be alive! 8)

blahblah
9th February 2005, 10:39 AM
Querida,dont tell me the ******* was interested in my health or well being.I lost so much money when I was a junior.

We took turns to attend to the seniors,by presenting ourselves at 6 am in their room and buying anything like cigarettes, toothbrush,soap or even a hard drink for an occassional guy who wanted to start it early. :x [Dont think they will pay you,you are supposed to spend your own money].When you buy the cigarettes and come back,you are supposed to light it for them and then hand it over!I knew atleast some students who left the college due to ragging. :cry:

It may look funny when you look back,but at that time it was a scary,intimidating experience.I find the arguments in support of ragging quite funny :x .

Querida
9th February 2005, 09:57 PM
Blahblah i think i have to ask you to accept my apology...i didn't mean the senior really cared..i meant rather that smoking is hazardous to you health and his actions in a twisting way highlight that...anyways i realize it is not my place to tell you what is i deem as good or bad habits...there is no excuse for that senior or any other seniors actions these are truly disgusting acts, it's really pitious that these seniors don't even have the wisdom that seniority entitles them too...it's a pure and pathetic shame...

Shakthiprabha.
11th February 2005, 03:35 PM
Ragging in professional colleges is more than normal colleges.

When I was in coll..We had ragging too. As seniors we ragged too. Both were enjoyable. It was well within limits. NOTHING which affects the physical or mental health of any student should be done.

Ragging in our college days, I would say was VERY NAUGHTY and enjoyable . IT used to be more of 'getting to know u' sessions.

I still remember we had asked one girl to enact and read out a very romantic play with embarassign dialogues. She gave us a shock, by immy enacting it without much fear or shyness. Her dialogue delivery, emotions exhibited etc rather MADE US SHY. :)She is one of the leading TV comperer cum occasional serial actress(I DO NOT WANNA MENTION WHO SHE IS ) in leading tamizh
channels. :)

Raghu
11th February 2005, 07:16 PM
BlaBlahBlah :D

Is Bullying sane as Ragging, yes I had exp of this, when I first came to UK, in 1989, I did not know English that much, I was
Really picked on for the following reasons,

1) Not being able to fit into the English Culture
2) My Accent
3) My Hair style, my dad often take me to the barber, and cut my hair really short, so that it never grows for at least 6 months :twisted: :lol:
4) My Skinny appearance.

I was really miserable, wanted to avoid certain classes, cos of that Idiot, who used to bully me. But Now I am big and well built, if I see those morons, I would beat them to hell. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

It was a nightmare, perhaps our minds were not matured enough, when we were kids

blahblah
11th February 2005, 07:39 PM
I was really miserable, wanted to avoid certain classes, cos of that Idiot, who used to bully me. But Now I am big and well built, if I see those morons, I would beat them to hell.
I have done the same with the b****** who used to bully me.I have beaten him up the next year and called him names that he won't forget for a life time.Now I am afraid he will catch up with me when I am weak and old.It is a cycle isn't it?Now you win and then you loose! :cry:

lordstanher
12th February 2005, 06:41 PM
Fortunately (in this case I think!), I've never been to college in India....I'm currently studying my degree but only via distance education from IGNOU.....whew! I've heard abt lots of terrible incidents of ragging but I must say sum of the ones u guys describe here really send a chill down my spine... :?
BUT it also makes my blood boil on the other hand! :evil: Makes me ask one qsn- why on earth did India get sumthing called democracy at all?? Is this sumthing tat cud actually go on and be tolerated in a Demo f****** cracy in the 1st place??!
And yea, sum friends of mine who've been thru this in college tell me tat its not at all as horrifying as ppl. usually tend to describe it and tat parents etc. just make a big deal out of it etc. etc... :P yea sure!
In fact 1 friend of mine who studied in IIT madras few yrs ago told me tat ragging in his fresher days 'was a breeze' & tat he was just asked a few qsns. by a senior & he kept mum all the while, so the snr threatened him saying tat he'll 'see how u'll stay here for 4 yrs!'.....but lucky 4 him tat guy actually did nothing & eventually became his friend!
But he has since been stupidly thinking tat ragging is done only in tat way everywhere & ppl. just make a big deal out of it .....how ignorant cud u get :P

jaiganes
14th February 2005, 08:55 AM
lordstanher wrote :

And yea, sum friends of mine who've been thru this in college tell me tat its not at all as horrifying as ppl.

it is true that most of the ragging is mild and is usually a passing cloud. The trouble is in some cases, the senior involved has connections and then it can take a nasty turn. For geeks in professional courses, it is somewhat mild as all those well connected seniors are usually in law schools or arts colleges trying to become future MLAs or best put 'Rowdies'. For further info on such breed, watch Ajith's 'Ji' (only first half :-) ).

Raghu
14th February 2005, 10:53 PM
I was really miserable, wanted to avoid certain classes, cos of that Idiot, who used to bully me. But Now I am big and well built, if I see those morons, I would beat them to hell.
I have done the same with the b****** who used to bully me.I have beaten him up the next year and called him names that he won't forget for a life time.Now I am afraid he will catch up with me when I am weak and old.It is a cycle isn't it?Now you win and then you loose! :cry:

Cool it dude, it is very easy to get into fight, but avoiding them is the real testimony :( , so pls for god sake, ignore these morons, they are part of the maya as well, I know it is easy to sit back and say this, but the more we ignore these morons the better

hehehewalrus
15th February 2005, 04:06 AM
For further info on such breed, watch Ajith's 'Ji' (only first half :-) ).

JG, I cannot believe there is a guy who actually saw an Ajith film and even recommends it :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

Good thing it wasnt RED(revalyoosan, yejukesan, develappment) :D

jaiganes
15th February 2005, 09:15 AM
walrus anna wrote

I cannot believe there is a guy who actually saw an Ajith film and even recommends it

Good for you that this isn't Tamil Films section. You would have been vapourized by this time. Jokes apart, Ji is not a bad movie afterall and the first half is better than AE (Mani fans please pardon me).

hehehewalrus
15th February 2005, 01:15 PM
After reading this, my opinion of Ajit can never change:

http://www.lolluexpress.com/red.htm

Long live Prashant's only competitor for a certain number :lol2: :lol2:

mandangi
15th February 2005, 01:57 PM
There are also cases of doing homosex forcebily by name of ragging. Ragging should be strictly restricted.

Shakthiprabha.
15th February 2005, 08:10 PM
Homosexuality in the name of ragging?

Mandagini can u plz be precise and mention where it happened?
Or is it hear- say?

mandangi
15th February 2005, 08:16 PM
I heard that it happened some where near Vijayawada or Guntur.

hehehewalrus
15th February 2005, 09:46 PM
Mandagini can u plz be precise and mention where it happened?
Or is it hear- say?

It is Mandangi and not Mandagini :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: