PDA

View Full Version : Raja's spiritual quest in films

dochu
7th January 2013, 09:16 PM
For quite some time I have been trying to unearth, Raja's clever usage of religious stothrams, slokas and what not in his film music. He has used many and shows his command over religion.

While going through Thirvempavai today, I unearthed a new one.

1st find:
Manikkavasagar aruliya Thirupalliyezhuchi - 3rd stanza:
கூவின பூங்குயில் கூவின கோழி
குருகுகள் இயம்பின இயம்பின சங்கம்...

Song used in: Sevanthi pookalil....Mella pesungal.

2nd find:
Adi sankarar's Soundarya lahari
Song: Janani Janani....Thai mugakambikai.

There are few more that I can think of, shall post later.

Unless this has been discussed before, can forumers help me to find all of it? please.

crvenky
8th January 2013, 02:54 PM
This one is from Aditya Hrudayam used in Thangakkili song (Manam Virumbudhe Unnai).

Nakshatra graha taaraanaam adhipo vishva bhaavanah
Tejasaamapi tejasvee dvaadashaatman namostute

dochu
8th January 2013, 04:04 PM
Another one, I remembered today.

Movie: Thalattu paadavaa
Song: Vennilavukku vanatha pudikalaya....

Lyrics: முதா கராத்த மோதகம் ஸதா விமுக்தி ஸாதகம் |
களாதராவதம்ஸகம் விலாஸிலோக ரக்ஷகம் |
அனாயகைக னாயகம் வினாஶிதேப தைத்யகம் |
னதாஶுபாஶு னாஶகம் னமாமி தம் வினாயகம்

Ganesha pancharathnam - Adi Sankaracharya

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ee504fRWt4

thumburu
8th January 2013, 09:44 PM
Two other "sloka" songs of IR that come to my mind are :
1. "Avidhyaanaam Anthas Timira mihira Dweepa Nagari" meaning , "please lead me from the darkest forest of Un-Intelligence to an enormously "Lighted" city of Intelligence" -(Soundarya Lahari) - Typically sung in Dhanyasi raagaa , whereas Raja uses Kalyani in "nadhiyil Adum poovanam", What a song !!! Need to listen now.

The next being , the very famous thEvAram verses "kunitha puruvamum kOvai chevvAyil...." , the most unexpected segment from the semi-kuthu "rAkkammA" of ThaLapathy.

crvenky
9th January 2013, 12:06 PM
Another one:

Vagarthoviva samprukthou.... starting of Nada vinodhamu from Salangai Oli/Sagara Sangamam.

I heard its the opening lines of Kalidasa's poetry in Shakunthalam.

dochu
9th January 2013, 05:24 PM
Thanks guys, great find!.

I wish IR set tune to such religious treasures. It will last forever!! and will also expose more people.

ravinat
9th January 2013, 10:16 PM
Thendralai kandu kola from Nilave Mugam Kaatu (Tamil 1999) uses sanskrit chant and folk choir in harmony in the postlude in the Hari version. Raja sings 'Nave Vasasaankaleka..' when the female folk choral part overlaps singing 'Eramilla manasule'. This has all the hallmark of a genius at work. This is hard to replicate. Sanskrit chants overlapping with a folk choir - no ordinary mind can think of this

ravinat
9th January 2013, 10:19 PM
Paatu Solli from Azhagi (Tamil 2002).The prelude uses the famous slokam ‘Om Sarva mangala maangalye…’

ravinat
9th January 2013, 10:21 PM
Sari Sari from the Telugu film Ninuchoodaka Nenundalenu (2002 Telugu) uses the famous Kausalya Supraja in the second interlude and continues to use the synthpad rhythm arrangement even for the slokam.

I did cover this as a very detailed post in my blog:

http://geniusraja.blogspot.ca/2011/12/sanskrit-chant-based-choir-white-and.html

Divine22
21st May 2013, 10:06 AM
Hi,

The verses in the beginning of the Devanin Koil Moodiya Neram, I am nt sure though, what do they mean... :) What a song !!!!