PDA

View Full Version : Gurudwara Parasad

lavsensuba
3rd February 2005, 01:51 AM
Hi Everyone,
Here is a simple but very tasty recipe, given to me by a collegue of mine at work.

Wheat Flour - 1 cup
Sugar - 1 cup
Water- 2 cups
Ghee - 1/4 cup

Warm ghee on slow heat in a thick bottomed kadai. Add the wheat flour and fry till well cooked. The color would change to golden brown and a sweet smell will come. Meanwhile, mix sugar and water and heat till it starts boiling. Switch off the heat. Once the wheat is cooked, slowly added the sugar water and continue stirring the wheat mixture. Don't add all the water at once. Add abot 3/4 the quantity. If the wheat mixture does not stick to the pan, the halwa is done. Switch off heat and serve warm.

Thanks

Pappadum
8th February 2005, 04:27 AM
I love simple recipes with few ingredients. This is perfect! Thank you, lavsensuba. I had been to a Gurudwara when I was a child and I loved this prasad! It brought back memories.

I made slight modifications; I like the “halwa” to be more grainy and wholesome, rather than a paste. So I used less water (also used less (brown) sugar), and added nut toppings (like cashews) and raisins. Mmmm, tummy yummy!

Does anyone know what other recipes I can use wheat flour as an ingredient? Other than chapattis. I have left over flour :D

lavsensuba
9th February 2005, 12:43 AM
Hi Pappadum,
Great I dean. I also add Flax seed flour to this while I make sinnce flax seed is very healthy. You can also make a vairation. To the above halwa, once it is almost cooked. Switch off the heat and Add a combination of ground flax seeds, almonds, sunflower seeds, sesame seed, walnuts etc around 1 cup. Also a hand ful of raisins. You can also add 2 tbsp of honey to this mixture and mix well. this is very healthy and a great sanck for tea.

Thanks

Uma Ferrell
9th February 2005, 06:46 AM
Hi Pappadum,

you can make poori with wheat fl. or you can make wheat fl dosas. Here is the quick dosa recipe: Add 1 cup of wheat flour, 1/4 cup of rice flour, 2 table spoons of Rava, 1 small red onion chopped fine, salt to taste, 1 table spoon of shredded coconut (dry is ok), 1 tea sp of Cumin seeds, chopped corriander and curry leaves, hot peppers chopped fine (to taste). Mix with water to the consistency of dosa batter. Make dosas. You can eat them plain since it already has spices or you can eat with chutney/chutney powder.

Pappadum
10th February 2005, 04:47 AM
Grand ideas - thank you kindly lavsensuba, Uma Ferrell.